Close
One second...

Blow Ya Head Off

• by Wore Vms
  • posted Sep 24, 2012
  • 49 Comments

Watch this
Wore Vms

This is a project im working on... I hopw you like it!

Wore Vms

First step of my draw: Outlines.

Wore Vms

Step 3: Making fire and smoke contour, the next thing to do will be the skull inner shadows.

Wore Vms

Step 3: Inner main shadows are complete, now, lets go with details and smaller shadows.

Wore Vms

Step 4

Details of lines, little shadows and lights are complete, now gotta draw the details of the fire, skull fragments and smoke inside the explosion. This will be the hardest part of the draw, due to the detail level of it.

Wore Vms

Step 5:

After 5 hours editing and fighting vectors, I finished the explosion. Tomorrow I will see how i end the design. An option will be to add some calligraphy (hand made, of course). Lets see what brings to my head the new day...

Davesmile

would like to see the placement on the tshirt and the base colour your going to choose

If you have time please vote for my running design!Cheers! Cosmic Hero

Wore Vms

I will continue this design now, check for updates in a while!

Wore Vms

Step 7: I made some hand lettering and worked it on photshop after scanning it. Step 8: Pasted the skull and the lettering toghether, this is the result, i think im going to leave it like this, now i wanna hear some critiques, tell me what you think! The design should be placed on the front of the shirt, taking almost all of it, tomorrow i will upload it with the template, now im tired!

pkirbyart

Awesome. Rock gods and rock chicks will lap it up. One thing, 'blow' and 'ya' are starting to merge making it hard to read. Might need to work on it.

Wore Vms

Ok... Thanks for feedback! My intention was to make it look as it is, lets wait some more critiques to make this democratic! :P Please, next one to coment let me know what you think about the W-Y junction, thanks in advance!

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

honestly I'm not sure this is a 'threadlessy' sort of style, but the explosion and lettering work sure looks cool! It feels to me as if the skull looks awkwardly plain now, compared to the textured and detailed feel of the rest of the piece. I'd either simplify it even further, like maybe distress it a bit and make it paler, to provide contrast, or I'd give it some more detail and grain to match the rest of the design.

also the jaw looks a little weird now that it's reflected.

Wore Vms

Yeah its due to the blakc background... I will be working it al ittle more today... Im going to add detail to the skull and use a dark grey background...

Adriani

I agree with celandinestern, the skull has to less details, especially in contrast to the font.

to_doh

I agree that the jaw is abit awkward looking. The vector skull kind of clashes with the raster, paint-like font. I'd suggest either doing the font up as a vector image or re-painting the skull in the style of the words, just to give it a more uniform look.

The font is also quite busy and there is too much going on in the image. If the skull is the hero in this, then the words shouldn't be so prominent.

Keep it up, look forward to seeing how this progresses!

Please rate mine! :) http://www.threadless.com/critique/108978/So_this_is_how_it_ends

Wore Vms

Ok, I changed the background, to make the dark zones of the skull visibles again.

Anyway im going to add textures or maybe i just change the skull, im not sure about it, i will make some tests and then i will decide what to do. About the lettering, I like it that way, so im not planning to do big changes on it, maybe a pair of little corrections, but the w-Y juncture is just as it was suposed to be and all the ornaments too...

Anyway I want to keep hearing critiques, everyone helps, so thanks you all for the feedback!

AdamGEmerson

Once again, your first design is better.

Wore Vms

Dont worry, this is just a probe... Actually im not convinced about how it looks, i will start again from zero, and this time the skull will be made with ink, after that, i will have the design, and a cool canvas to sell...

Randomsyhn

This is really cool, the only thing bothering me is the bottom jaw it just seems warped a bit. I don't know if the phrase is nessisary though it doesn't take away.

Chimera Catch the Wind

Johnathy

What's it look like if you take all the black outline bits out of the flames? They are bothering me, I think it would look more fiery without them.

I think the text looks awesome, but is a bit too busy. When I first clicked on this I could barely read it. And what happened to "off"? "Blow ya head" by itself doesn't make sense to me.

Wore Vms

Good point... I talk spanish, i didnt noted that detail... when i remake it i will add the "off"... Thanks for correction!

And for earlier comments, the jaw looks like that because its a skull with something blowing the head, so the jaw should just bend or fall to a side... note that the upper center teeths arent lined with the lower ones... if u look a little more slowly, you will see that the jaw is not in the same perspective than the rest of the skull...

Thanks to all for feedback!

FixelPish

I agree with whoever said the vector and raster bits were fighting with each other visually, as well as Johnathy who notes that the black outlines on the flames are distracting. I'd say axe the outlines all together and go for strong graphical shapes and rely on colour/contrast to delineate the form.

Wore Vms

The flames doesnt have any black outline, just different tones of red. The only black thing in the fire is inside of it and are a pair of skull fragments inside the fire...

AdamGEmerson

The style of the text and flames erupting from the skull don't match the skull at all. The font you've chosen reminds me of a truck-stop t-shirt. I would go back to Version 1. It is a lot better. The contrast is better, the font is better, and the overall layout is better.

AdamGEmerson

The style of the text and flames erupting from the skull don't match the skull at all. The font you've chosen reminds me of a truck-stop t-shirt. I would go back to Version 1. It is a lot better. The contrast is better, the font is better, and the overall layout is better.

Wore Vms

Final Version, I uploaded this one, hope you like it.

Ru Chery

wow!! this design sure came a long way from the 1st version, but it looks great. Awesome job!! Nice detail and color choices. it looks great on a shirt! nice work!! Keep me posted on when your design is up for scoring.

p.s My design is up for scoring!! If you have a moment please score my design, I would really appreciate it. After you're done scoring feel free to leave a comment on the submission page if you like. Thank you so much

http://atrium.threadless.com/toystory/subs/#/submission/on-the-outside-looking-in-or-is-it-on-the-inside-l/

Wore Vms

Sure I will, thanks for feedback, good luck with your design!

Wore Vms

Thanks! Already voted, wish you luck!

Wore Vms

Thanks! Lets wait until approval to see how it works!

Wore Vms

Thanks! Voted!

Ru Chery

just voted. good luck to you.

Wore Vms

thanks!

Wore Vms

Already voted it :)

No account?
Join Us