Close
One second...

Deep Waters done scoring :( feel like I got a bit screwed on this score

Done scoring :(

9/24/12

Newest Versions!

Lighter Blue:

Darker Blue:

Ok so this is my super straggler project I was working on for the Dangers of the Deep theme. Although I missed the deadline by a bunch (personal stuff).. I decided to finish it up anyways and sub it. Problem is I have two versions I like and I can't make up my mind.

Any thoughts? Like Version 1, 2, or 3? Hate the whole idea? I wanna hear :D

VERSION # 1

VERSION # 2

Watch this
Theo86
Theo86 profile pic Alumni

Looks awesome, I am leaning towards version 2. It appeals to me more for some reason.

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

Thanks :) I think that's my favorite too but I wanted to get an outside point of view

Goldendust

I see why you're having trouble making a decision, It's really hard to choose between them for me too! I guess V2 is a bit more versatile - it'd look really good on an iphone case for example... but with a bit of messing around with the colours in V1 I could easily be swayed in that direction.

Manupix

I'd go for a more subtle 1, with the shark outlines being visible in the bubbles only.

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

I think 1 looks better as a tee design. Similar (but not the same) to what manupix said, I think it might be even a bit more visually interesting if the shark's opacity wasnt consistent between bubble and water. Either way, I already like version 1 quite a bit.

pyr4lis

Like this??

Ste7en

I dig that

pyr4lis

Thanks I was afraid the sharks might be too lost. Im considering dividing the shapes to get a brighter blue in the bubble color more like the color in v2

Ste7en

I enjoy how they aren't perfectly easy to see, it gives the scene a palpable sense of depth that the first version didnt have. In other words, this feels more like seeing sharks through bubbles than the first one which looks more like translucent sharks floating above bubbles (a look I do like, as well)

pyr4lis

Ahh I see what you mean :) I'm bummed I missed the dangers of the deep challenge but I'm going to sub it anyways hehe

Manupix

I dig that

Might be worth trying a bright bg color, just to see.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I like version one better too, the composition reminds me of colour blind test a la: Maybe that could be part of the concept too. I like how its developing.

Manupix

^ this

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni

Wow! I love both versions, but maybe the #2 is my favorite one! "watching this"

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

i saw your shirt in Gap yesterday :D

JonBurgessDesign

yeah that first one reminded me of the colour blind test too ;-) i like it though. maybe go the other way and make it less subtle ?

pyr4lis

Hah so many opinions :D I appreciate all of the comments. I'm going to play with it a little bit more to see what I can come up with.

pyr4lis

Ok Most recent version...

Lighter Color: "Turquoise Blue"

Darker Color: "Navy Blue"

Ste7en

love it on turqoise...looks good on navy as well, but it feels a bit heavier...dig the subtle dangers

pyr4lis

Thanks I do like the turq too. I was just a bit afraid that turq might be too bright going into fall. I appreciate all the suggestions and feedback! I'll set up the submission files tonight so I can send it in. I'm happy :D

littlem

i like the turquoise, too!

pyr4lis

aww thanks miss Annie!

As a side note I do have a pattern scoring now too for that "spring buttondown" shirt challenge thingy

pyr4lis

submitted

pyr4lis

pyr4lis

bump

pyr4lis

5 days left. Very few comments and only a mediocre score so far :/

pyr4lis

Bump

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

bumpitybump! it looks really good! maybe the sharks should have been a touch more contrasty, possibly people miss them when scoring through quickly.

pyr4lis

Hah well too late now :) too bad though I'm tired of being a 2.2 average designer

pyr4lis

2 days!

pyr4lis

2.18 and falling fast :(
sucks

pyr4lis

one day!

pyr4lis

last hour or two! I can't figure out how to tell exactly when it'll end though.

pyr4lis

Can't help but feel like I got a bit shafted on this score :(

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

The score does seem low. I hate when shiz get underscored which is common these days.

Ste7en

perhaps it was too subtle for people who hadn't seen less subtle versions along the way, and thus a lot of people never even knew what they were looking at, at a glance anyway

pyr4lis

perhaps. I guess I could revise it with some kind of submission layout to show the hidden design in the tee. I really thought honestly this was at least a high 2's design.

travellingbooks

i liked this a lot, but the image seemed a lot clearer in the pictures in this blog than it looked on the final submission though. maybe give version2 a go now

pyr4lis

hah yeah in a blog I can use high quality images. I have to scale down file size down for submissions to fit the 250kb max submission size

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

yeah, I think it's because the sharks got lost in the contrast. They were pretty hard to make out. I have that problem too, when I push down the file quality suddenly things look fifty times more crap than in the blog. So you have to sort of adjust the colors to make sure the voters will see what we see in here. also I'm throwing this out now as an afterthought, but perhaps the bubble mass could have somewhat rounded edges, rather than being a square field? May fit the tee better.

Twiggyhall

Yep, whatever else said

Sorry, Lor, total bummer :/

pyr4lis

thanks all. there were very few comments on the submission itself so it left me wondering what the problem was. If people couldn't see the illusion or if they just hated the idea and thought it was dumb.

Anyways I really appreciate the suggestions and once I finish up my 2 last minute Gap Loves Kids submissions I'll go back and tweak this a bit. I do feel it can do better.

JonBurgessDesign

You get more buy it now's than I do. . ;-(

No account?
Join Us