Close
One second...

Psychological Problems

hey imaginary friends from the internet.

have you got secret mental issues? do you ever think weird shit? post 'em here FOR SCIENCE.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
taz-pie

^me and doggie

Goldendust

I think as a kid I had anxiety issues that were a bit worse than average, but things have got better with time. Or maybe distance from my parents? I don't know.

My dad definitely suffers from depression, but it's taken some sort of mental breakdown that I don't even know the details of, for my mother, a pharmacist, to realize he needs to be on medication for it. He's a normal goofball dad 95% of the time, and I love him dearly... But he can't deal with stress well and very very rarely, he'll lose it. But I still think he is infinitely less crazy than my mum. But that's a whole different kettle of fish.

Anyway, I went to my family doctor who has seen us all since I was young. I mentioned I knew she'd seen both my parents when dad had his breakdown or whatever it was. She put her head in her hands defeatedly, and said "I'm glad you turned out okay." Having someone confirm that my parents aren't quite normal and that I'm doing okay was one of the most vindicating moments of my life.

taz-pie

that's really awesome. good for you for turning out ok!!

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

Everybody is a little bit crazy! It's what keeps the world sane.

My secret is that I'm addicted to Threadless!!! :D

Goldendust

I remember reading a Roald Dahl book ages ago which had a quote along the same lines as what you just said, Tom. A bit of crazy is completely normal. I just wish people would talk about this stuff more! The fact that we can do this here is pretty amazing.

Thomas Orrow

I probably accidentally stole it as I used to read a Roald Dahl book all the time when I was a kid. Maybe it's from his autobiography?

squintygirl

Don't mock the walrus invasion, it could happen and I'll be the only one ready for it.

The really fucked up thing about my childhood anxieties was how I would be awake most of the night worried about impossible futures, and was completely incapable of thinking ahead in real life. I still have difficulty thinking about real-world consequences, at least for myself.

Goldendust

I can't find which one it was, and I've tried looking before. It's more the sentiment that I remember :)

taz-pie

i just reread this blog. note to sefl: do not blog while about to fall asleep! NO INHIBITIONS

SJ27

This blog is great. It could be the new O blog. Like maybe it's not something people are supposed to blog about, maybe the best comments get made when you shouldn't really be blogging because you're sleepy or drunk and wouldn't do it "normally" but in the end mental problems are like Os. We all have them and it's better because we have a supportive environment to talk about them in.

Goldendust

Inhibitions sminhibitions. Sleepy Taz is fine with me!

taz-pie

aww you guys. but seriously threadless is amazing. i love you guys so much and have shared more with all of you here over the years than i have with my irl friends!

taz-pie

hi my name is taz and i have mental issues.

HIIII TAZ

taz-pie

in fact, when i was hospitalised for a month a few years ago i didnt even tell my friends or family that i had been admitted to a psych hospital. they all thought i was on holiday somewhere. i was too ashamed- i felt like a failure.

screw that man. hospital and therapy ftw.

Thomas Orrow

aww you guys. but seriously threadless is amazing. i love you guys so much and have shared more with all of you here over the years than i have with my irl friends!

Hugs and kisses to all the nice people on this blog! mwah x x :) That excludes meeting people from Threadless irl, as I would probably just be grumpy haha :P

SJ27

I don't like to hug and kiss. I don't like people in my personal space and I don't like being touched.

Today I shook my Auntie's hand. She's over from New Zealand and I haven't seen her in two years so I shook her hand.

squintygirl

I get upset when some who actively seeks help for their problems is shunned or stigmatized. My uncle has been plagued with psychological trauma all of his adult life, and he is the sweetest man I know, but most of my family treat him like a freak and it makes me so mad. He's in the state he's in through no fault of his own, but he's blamed for not just 'snapping out of it'. Why can't people just be grateful that they don't have the same problems and leave it at that? Why be so hurtful and ignorant? Fuck you.

squintygirl

Shaking hands is a big deal, good for you!

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

rfm5c86 b4ncn nu,m ,. ,vtgl;

that was Baby's comment on the above discussion. Delivered by banging violently on the keyboard. I think he'll have a lot to add to conversations like this one day.

Also yeah I love this place because you can write whatever.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

screw that man. hospital and therapy ftw.

this!!! so many people don't seek help because they worry what people may think. But people who think you're weak or worthless because you have GUTS enough to ask help and try to fight something they don't know the first thing about are idiots and you don't need them.

I think anyone who steps up and gets help is being incredibly brave and strong. I wish my dad agreed to get help sooner. We wasted over ten years of our lives on an unbearable situation and it could have been changed way earlier. But it took for him to be literally a few weeks away from dropping dead to realize he actually had to change something.

taz-pie

I love you guys.

PogoLightning

I suffered from depression and anxiety back in 2010 and into 2011. I went to therapy and got on some meds and it really helped. Luckily I was able to ween off of the medicine and eventually I was able to manage my anxiety without anything. It still is pretty bad, more than the average anxiety people get.

I hate being by myself. I still live at my parents (due to financial issues only) and I had a hard time when they went to Florida for two weeks. Staying along in this huge house by myself was a lot for me.

So I guess I'm still dealing with it all.

I feel like everyone's got mental issues.

Mya Jamila

I've ADHD. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 10 and I have to agree to disagree with people who don't believe in medication. I know what a difference it's made in my life. I don't want to have kids because I'm scared I'd have kids like me. I am surprised my parents kept me, that they managed so well. I understand why my parents lost patience so often.

Since my friendship with my best friend dissolved I've had to deal with panic attacks and I've been going through group therapy. I'm regularly thankful that one of my medications is a mood stabilizer because when things go downhill in my life they tend to be related to that. A phrase I remember her saying, that I see in a new light, or a new realization regarding her actions. I get panic attacks when I see a couple that have the same body shapes/size as her and my ex, her current boyfriend, in Vancouver, or when I see even just a sliver of her in a coffee shop window. A broken heart is so much easier to deal with if the pain isn't as intense.

Mya Jamila

I've been though depression as well. I know I'm in a bout when I start sleeping a lot. So, I try to stay away from sleep. If I'm feeling bad I try to go out and dance now. Or I try to talk to people.

Goldendust

Aw Mya... Panic attacks suck :( I had a few years while I was a teen where I would somehow manage to panic myself into thinking I couldn't breathe, and I had to get outside and calm down before I could breathe normally again. They didn't happen often, but the ones I had were pretty terrifying.

Also, now that I'm thinking back to high school, one of my friends was diagnosed with bipolar, although I think it was only mild-moderate? I forget that she has it all the time though, my perception of her hasn't really changed at all... She's still exactly the same person in my eyes :)

Also, Steph, I totally agree with you on this:

PogoLightning on Sep 21 '12 at 7:30pm

I feel like everyone's got mental issues.

SJ27

I think my anxiety is coming back :/

taz-pie

:( try get into a routine. i found that really helped. kinda floating around from thing to thing always makes my anxiety worse. it is a sucky thing :(

SJ27

Routine is all I have to hang onto right now. Things are changing. It sucks.

littlem

i am my own psychological problem, tazzy. it's a conundrum.

shirtflirt

it's funny, i wouldn't suggest anyone raise an only child but the experience is unique and i feel it holds many answers to many riddles. firstly, i had my first hallucination when i was 6 years old. i completely saw my little stuffed toy horse gallup around my room, rear up and then retain his posture. i knew very little growing up without the older sibling to help pave the way and i'm grateful bc it's taught me to learn things through feeling the world out for myself.

so weird thought? years ago when i pretty much died surfing, i realize that there is something else, besides or existing with, this material existence. not sure i have a word for it, but there is definitely something else going on so we should embrace our differences, our quirks, our odditiies because, in essence, that's who we really are.

Adilanam

I'm an "OCD hoarder" as my friend likes to call it...but especially with paper. I am currently making progress in ridding myself of stacks of paper I've had since even middle school but the only way I can do it is by first scanning them so I know I still have them somewhere. My greatest progress was throwing out 90+ pounds in recyclable paper (without scanning and which I had kept for at least three years).

Poeha
Poeha profile pic Alumni

I was scared of flying and I went to the doctor and I got 450 DOLLARS!!!

The true story is that I went to the doctor and I had EVERYTHING except 450 dollah. ADD, depression, Autism, PTSD, intellectual giftedness, identity syndrome and I was a rainbow child. Or starlight child. Or other hippie crap.

I don't believe in all these 'stamps' anymore.

unicorndinosaurs
unicorndinosaurs profile pic Alumni

This thread is awesome. I have an anxiety disorder and as a result I have nightmares pretty much every night. I rarely have good dreams, maybe a few times a year. I remember my dreams more often and more clearly than anyone I know. Some pretty crazy shit happens in my head at night.

taz-pie

Aww I am sorry, dude. I can relate! I have flashbacky kinda nightmares almost every night. Often wake up terrified/ angry/ feeling dirty. Cue: full-blown panic attack. Had one yesterday and couldn't go to work :(

taz-pie

Hey! Am glad you made it ok in the end :) Dont even get me started on shitty sleeping! It is 3hours since i took one and a half sleeping pills and the fuckers are doing NOTHING :(

taz-pie

Omg sleep paralysis!!! I have only had that about 5 times before. It is AWFUL

taz-pie

My cycle is stay awake later and later each night, til i sleep later and later during the day. Then I have switched to living like a nocturnal creature from hell. While trying to keep a job :/

taz-pie

I dont honestly know how I am going to one day stop taking these pills. Addiction mannnn

Adilanam

My dreams are more real to me than when I'm awake, but that's better than when I can't tell the difference between my thoughts, "reality", and my dreams. I had "demon dog" (and shadow man) incidents a couple of time. I remember the first time he lay on my chest and I could hear the sleeping bag crinkle under his weight and hear his breath, I didn't dare scream or move. I was afraid to even mention it for a couple of days anywhere let alone in my own house because of fear of it coming back. Anything like that happen to any of you?

taz-pie

Yup. Creepy demon weight on chest: check.

taz-pie

MAN. FUCK.THAT.SHIT. i hate it :(

Ian-S
Ian-S profile pic Alumni

I've only had sleep paralysis once and it scared the shit out of me. I was convinced someone was in the room but I couldn't turn my head to see. I just felt someone there until they were right on top of me crushing the air from me. Not cool. My ex had it all the time. I could tell when her little finger twitched frantically and you could see her eyes moving like crazy under the lids.

Great thread guys. Anyone who says they've never suffered from mental illness is a liar plain and simple. I'm thinking of going back to some sort of group meetings. I went to one last year all about building confidence which ultimately didn't work as I'm still a hermit but just being with people who share the same issues makes a massive difference. I found exercise helped as well. Going boxing, beating the shit out of punch bag and doing the crazy ass training made me feel a lot better. Unfortunately screwed up my rotator cuff (Didn't even know I had one of those until it went horribly wrong) and had to stop. I'll hopefully get back to it again soon. Without the exercise I went back to my old comfort method of binge eating. Not so good.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

i have recurring anxiety problems. they usually get worst when i'm broke, which is always.

Goldendust

Hey, this blog is back! :)

I've only recently realized how much control the pill has over my moods. It took an entire day of crying because I needed to book a hair appointment for me to notice.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us