Close
One second...

Psychological Problems

hey imaginary friends from the internet.

have you got secret mental issues? do you ever think weird shit? post 'em here FOR SCIENCE.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
taz-pie

i'll start.

a few years ago i was diagnosed with some serious mental problems, put on meds, and sent off for cognitive behavioural therapy. it was incredibly beneficial! it was SUPER EFFECTIVE!

anyway, on of the intrusive thoughts was that i was actually dead. that i had once been alive, but died in childhood, and was just imagining all the shit around me as being "real". shit got hectic, mang.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotard_delusion

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I sometimes wish the world would end already. Is that bad?

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

When I see someone on the street/ inside a store reaching for something in their jacket, I always think they're gonna pull out a gun and start shooting around.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I spend way too much time at home working by myself, I often have bizarre thoughts and feel like I'm going mental. I definitely need to get out more.

jamesf
jamesf profile pic Alumni

i kept imagining myself as a pair of curtains. the doctor told me to pull myself together

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni
5 designs submitted - Score now!

@ Wharton I think that's called being an artist, Salvador Dali used to keep his canvas at his bedside, so that he could paint as soon as he woke up.

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni
5 designs submitted - Score now!

I think most artists/designers can see weird shit or at least visualise it. It would be a sad day for all if everybody went to bed dreaming of cornflake boxes and shoes. (By that I mean boring stuff).

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I don't think I have any issues barring the occasional intense hatred towards the entire world, but that comes from working with morons rather than from within. Husband had some really serious anxiety issues that started translating into him feeling physically ill in any even slightly unfamiliar situation, I spent ages trying to get him to go see a therapist but he thought that stuff was just stupid. In the end I guess meds helped him, he did talk to a shrink for a while but walked away still believing it was a waste of time, although that could be down to that particular shrink not being all that good, I suppose. He's off the meds now so I guess the thing just went away somehow.

celandinestern

I did use to have weird fears about things getting somehow undone. Like, even though I met my husband when I did, I had these thoughts of 'oh god what if things didn't come together in that particular way and we had never met?' and that used to grieve me to no end, even though I knew that things can't really unhappen once they've happened. But for the few big things in my life (husband, kid mostly) I did get fears about them somehow unhappening and me waking up tomorrow to find I'd just imagined them. I don't know if that qualifies as a mental issue, certainly was weird.

Also I had a dream in which at one point I snapped and went insane. Felt sort of like somebody just pulled the rug of reality from under my feet and the world kinda crumbled and in the dream I was kneeling on the floor screaming with no sound. But when I woke up I was just like 'huh, well that was a weird dream'.

SJ27

I had really bad agorophobia for a while. I still have it a bit. I can't drive a car.

taz-pie

i also used to think when i was a kid that there was literally NOTHING outside my field of vision. like if i turned a corner and could no longer see a room it ceased to exist.

taz-pie

AMA

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

My mum suffered really badly in 2009 all of a sudden; psychosis and some other stuff. She ended up sectioned in a secure hospital. I'm happy to talk about it to anyone, but I feel I can't plaster all the details over the internet. It was very scary, but God sorted it out, and now she's better than ever. Love is very important in the healing of mental illness.

Personally, I've never suffered with it, but I had a day during that period when I suffered what I can only describe as deep depression. I've never felt anything like it in my life. That night I read phillipans 4 v 6-7 and prayed and thankfully I've felt nothing like that since.

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

Through that whole experience I realised how real mental illness is for people that suffer it. It's kinda easy to think they just need to snap out of it. But it's a very real problem. I think I became a lot less judgemental (not that I was massively) towards people who suffer with it.

taz-pie

with the insight i have gained from being hospitalised and stuff, i would love to just BE THERE for people. like, love them unconditionally. head stuff is hard, man.

squintygirl

When I was a kid, I had problems falling asleep thinking about all the terrible things that could happen, no matter how unlikely: asteroids hitting the house, dinosaurs coming back to life and eating my parents, sudden tornado destroying my neighbourhood. I couldn't fall asleep until I came up with some kind of plan to deal with it. One of my plans, and I'm not joking, was to get a bunch of rabbits as pets and train them to fire lasers at intruders/space aliens/kidnappers/murderers while I slept. I was a weird kid.

As a teen, whatever environment I was in, I could imagine at least eight different ways I could be killed. That way, I could be properly prepared to avoid death, or welcome it, depending on my mood. I was a weird teenager.

Things kind of sorted themselves out, I don't know how, but I wish I had someone I could have talked to when I was a kid without making me feel like I was stupid.

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

taz-pie on Sep 20 '12 at 7:24am i also used to think when i was a kid that there was literally NOTHING outside my field of vision. like if i turned a corner and could no longer see a room it ceased to exist.

Sounds like you developed object permanence quite late in life!

squintygirl

I wish I knew you back then!

tracerbullet

taz-pie on Sep 20 '12 at 7:26am and also, sice we are being honest here and i love you guys...

i have full-blown DID

Not to poke fun at a serious situation like DID, but I think it's neat that you have that and you also have heterochromatic eyes. It's like there's literally another person inside of you! You should write a comic about yourself. Become a superhero, taz!

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

I have not been diagnosed but I know I suffer from ADD and CRS (Cannot Remember Shit).

I also frequently feel like someone is watching me and an impeding dread when I am alone. Like Ghosts or spirits are in the room or sumpin'.

nonbloggerholly

Mostly various mood disorders, but also a bit of paranoia that was very bad for about a year when I was 19. I never ever slept, I was convinced I would be murdered or my boyfriend at the time would die.

I was pretty intolerable during that time, it seemed to have been caused by underlying stress and fear that I did not want to face.

I was in the psych ward when I was 15 for about 2 weeks, it changed my life. Not because of the treatment I received but because of the other kids. Actually the absurd amount of meds they put me on probably just made things worse.

Anyway, crazy bitches unite!

taz-pie

haha brian! THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE

naah, in my case there are a whole bunch! you have all met some of them. O questions tend to not come from me...

taz-pie

and GOSH i love toothpastefordinner. i must check them out again.

tracerbullet

One taz is pure and chaste. But the other? Ohhh, don't get me started on the other!

taz-pie

bahahahaa! for example curious = red (13) older and wiser = annie (21) naughty = 40, 41 and 42 (ages unknown) little kiddy = karen (5)

taz-pie

lol @ having a voice in my head called annie!

tracerbullet

wait, what are the numbers? are your personalities numbered instead of named? do you have 42 different personalities?

littlem

sometimes i think that my ornaments are real ballz.

littlem

i'm that voice inside your head? it's no wonder you have mental issues! :D

tracerbullet

annie, stop farting in taryn's head

toopersent
toopersent profile pic Alumni

Im pretty laid back and I don't really worry about anything too much, but sometimes I imagine really bad things happening to myself and my family and play out these really drawn out scenarios in my head.

Like, what if I got home and my wife and kid were murdered...what would I do? Or, what if I got home and the hamburgler burgled all of my burgers. I dunno, that doesn't seem normal.

Kenski

Akaka says "When I see someone on the street/ inside a store reaching for something in their jacket, I always think they're gonna pull out a gun and start shooting around." Hey, they usually don't.

tracerbullet

Sometimes I like to think of elaborate contingency plans in case some ridiculous disaster occurs.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

when at a red light or being stuck in traffic: visualize an epic michael bay type crash scene and all the cars in-front/around me play a role in it.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

i also like to look at everything as being part of a rube goldberg contraption.

taz-pie

bri i have MANY. some are numbers, some have names, some are colours, some are seasons, some aren't people, some can fly etc

taz-pie

shit. i am wondering if i am oversharing.

taz-pie

anyway, i guess for the most part you all have known me for years and years and know that i am not totally weird. i guess i hope that my oversharing will help someone else out there realise that they are not alone.

also, yay voices in head

tracerbullet

what do you mean some of your personalities can fly? like, you just have this knowledge that you can fly but don't act on it? or have you actually tried flying?

squintygirl

This is all very interesting to me. I'm glad I wasn't the only one making elaborate plans against unlikely disasters/scenarios. Example: Put running shoes next to bed in case bedroom is overrun with walruses (I'm pretty sure I can outrun a walrus, and Mum won't yell at me for 45 minutes for wearing shoes in bed).

tracerbullet

You're an adult now, Michelle. If you want to wear shoes in bed, your mom is just going to have to accept that.

celandinestern

I think it's awesome you're sharing stuff because most people I think when they have no experience with these things just imagine that people with mental issues are cuckoo-crazy and that's the end of it. Like either you're normal or you're crazy, and if you're crazy people should stay away from you. But 'crazy' is a very crude way to describe something that all of us really are, to some degree or another.

My dad is pretty out of things by now, he had a huge alcohol abuse problem for a decade or so and managed to finally quit, but it left him kinda damaged I think. That and other issues he had anyway (which probably made him drink to begin with). So now he's a pretty nice normal guy except that he dresses a bit weird and kinda mutters to himself all the time, particularly when he's outside walking in the street. I ran across him once in town and I was like 'oh look, crazy homeless person!' and then I was like 'oh no wait, that's dad' :)

littlem

i've been told i worry too much and that i have some paranoias related to terrorist type incidents. but i think it's because i have pretty good instincts when it comes to sensing evil in people. lololz i have phobias, like fear of falling off a cliff whilst driving up a mountain(probably related to acrophobia) and mild claustrophobia. i have an affinity for childish humor. that's mental enough, right?

toopersent
toopersent profile pic Alumni

i have an affinity for childish humor

understatement of the year

WarDrobeInSpareOom

I have a box of change (actually, I think it's two boxes now), all predating 1975. Not because I think they're worth anything (they aren't), but because I want to be prepared in case I travel back in time and 1975 was just an arbitrary cut-off that I came up with.

squintygirl

tracerbullet on Sep 20 '12 at 9:46am You're an adult now, Michelle. If you want to wear shoes in bed, your mom is just going to have to accept that.

Hahaha, I meant when I was a kid. But even today, my poor mum has a hard time accepting that all bad things aren't deliberately done just to piss her off, and wearing shoes in bed is a Very Bad Thing, and preparing for a possible walrus invasion is Even Worse.

squintygirl

Time travel coin stash, fucking brilliant idea!

littlem

whatever, poopersent and your hamboogers!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us