Close
One second...

What makes you score a design poorly (Pet Peeves)?

I am not talking about poor execution or bad concept. I am talking about things you just would not wear on a shirt or specific things that make you score a design low even if the concept / execution is good.

I personally will not wear profanity, privates parts, overtly violent, or video game based designs. I may score a 5 but I would never vote a $ I'd buy. I also typically vote lower on designs with concepts that I have seen too much of unless they are exceptionally awesome: Owls, Deers, rainbows, space, zombies, Star Wars.

What makes you score designs lower?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
taz-pie

if it is a fart joke it gets a zero.

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

i bet if you looked at the numbers i'd have a slight bias in favor of space/deer/fox/wolf cliches and a bias against zombies/monocles/guys in suits with objects for heads/penny-farthings

ivanrodero
ivanrodero profile pic Alumni

Pencils. Foreign culture or religion (like dreamcatchers, Ganesha, candy skulls, etc.) Cruelty. Hatred. Drugs support.

But mostly pencils, I find them really lazy as a concept, as if the designer didn't want to think further than the hand reach for an idea.

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

i score plenty of stuff high that i wouldn't buy or wear, but if the design is a pop culture reference then the highest i will score it is a 3, and it has to be extremely well executed and a reference to something i like.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

Dodgy fonts. Babies. Lame Mario jokes. Circular objects on boobs or things on the lower part of the shirt that look like they are coming out of the person's pants. Lol.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

So that is why my first Threadless sub did so poorly.

Interesting Jellyes. I would say on average I score any overdone cliche lower than more fresh concepts, that is unless the design is just astoundingly beautiful.

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

Anything that isn’t mine

taz-pie

although... YEARS ago there was this design with a woman and an xray machine and a fart. i have so forgotten what it was called. but it made me lol

Musarter

Fart design always seem good but would I actually wear one? No. Although I would be tempted to wear that one.

It is great to hear people personal aesthetic preferences. One reason why I started this blog was because one person told me they do not like shirts with circular compositions, because it makes them look fat, and another told me they hated seeing bare feet in a design.

ThePaperCrane
ThePaperCrane profile pic Alumni

Actually I never base my score on whether I would wear it or not. I tend to judge things on design/illustration merit rather then personal taste.

(@ivanrodero low score Foreign culture or religion - that's an interesting one!)

taz-pie

i cant have anyhting geometric or concentric in the boobage area. it distorts and makes my already huge boobs look hugererer

Haragos

You’re not a fan of kongalism taz-pie?

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

I should actually probably stop wearing Threadless shirts in general because I don't like it when people stare at my boob-area. -___-

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

i just don't like gross stuff, be it overly gory or involving body fluids (or gases) or whatever if it s gross, i tend to score low

ThePaperCrane
ThePaperCrane profile pic Alumni

I can think of a subject matter that would make me low score. For me it is all about the concept and the execution. Although I do get tired of over done pop culture like angry birds etc.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni

Subs that look like there was obviously little to no effort or thought behind it bother me. Even the simplest of ideas can be well executed. And just really tasteless/offensive designs.

Fart jokes not included....Fart away my friend....fart away!

"guys in suits with objects for heads"

squintygirl

Whenever I see a design with paint drips or splatters, I sigh really REALLY loudly.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

Also, anything pregnancy-related. Naked people. Religion. And I generally don't like back prints or glow in the dark / uv ink designs. Or pattern t-shirts.

ivanrodero
ivanrodero profile pic Alumni

The Paper Crane on Aug 15 '12 at 10:43am

(@ivanrodero low score Foreign culture or religion - that's an interesting one!)

I think is mostly because I am concerned about the medium and designing based on things people don't fully understand.

You can make a design based on Ganesha, a dreamcatcher or a skullcandy because you think it's cool and forget about how that thing is sacred for someone and you are just being disrespectful about others believes and cultures without even noticing it.

Haragos

Anything that isn’t a blank shirt

mismonaut
mismonaut profile pic Alumni

Suicide tees get zeroes from me.

So do ripoffs.

Outside of that, I pretty much score 1-5.

5- I would definitely wear this. 4- I would probably wear this. 3- I would maybe wear this. 2- I would probably not wear this. 1- I would definitely not wear this.

A lot of pop culture subs end up with 1s, just because I'm not familiar with a lot of it. Even clever and well-designed stuff ends up with low scores if I would just never wear it.

I used to have a more complex system, assigning points for originality, execution, etc... But I realised that trying to calculate each design's rating objectively was taking too long and stressing me out. it made voting a huge chore, and I was avoiding scoring things altogether.

I don't come here to stress out. I come here to see neat stuff, and interact with neat people, and try to convince the staff to print neat shirts so I can buy them.

jmeaspls

does anyone else do this? i have this thing where sometimes i'll see a design and won't vote on it. it happens when there are designs that i would never wear under any circumstances yet are executed amazingly. i feel like none of the numbers on the scoring scale are adequate to handle such cases.

jmeaspls

mismo i like your scoring system

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

I would probably score that a 3. I rarely skip designs, sometimes I do that when I don't understand the concept or am not familiar with the reference.

mismonaut

Also, I totally echo this:

I think is mostly because I am concerned about the medium and designing based on things people don't fully understand.

You can make a design based on Ganesha, a dreamcatcher or a skullcandy because you think it's cool and forget about how that thing is sacred for someone and you are just being disrespectful about others believes and cultures without even noticing it.

There's a lot of really neat iconography out there, and a lot of stuff that, were it devoid of context, I would love to wear. But I'm not comfortable walking around wearing a tee that just has casual, "I thought it looked cool" references to someone else's spiritual life. That's not my place.

mismonaut

Also, I've bought shirts that I've scored zero or one. Sometimes I just don't get it on the screen, but love it as a real article.

And, you know, tastes change.

Haragos

If the person’s name starts with a W… that’s a zero

Haragos

Ms get fives as they are the opposite of the W. I learned that from Mario.

Musarter

^Fair enough.

I used do an $ I'd buy most of my 5's, but got tired of constantly getting solicitations from Threadless when they printed. I started limiting my "I'd buys" to things I would actually wear but I am still quite liberal with the 5's.

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

I'm really getting tired of pop culture designs. Especially here at Threadless.

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

I should say bad pop culture designs. Designs that use something recognizable just for the sake of being recognizable. I'm all for clever pop culture stuff, but that kind of thing is few and far between.

betsym

If the design has gross boobs I score it low. If it has tasteful boobs, then it's okay.

Haragos

If it doesn’t have Bigfoot in it.. Zero.

Musarter

andyg on Aug 15 '12 at 1:33pm I'm really getting tired of pop culture designs. Especially here at Threadless.

So would all of you that do not like pop-culture designs say that you tend to score them lower in general? Maybe only score the ones that are exceptional a little higher.

I personally tend to vote tired pop-culture themed designs lower: Star Wars, 80's / 90's Cartoon, Video Game, etc. They have to be truly kick-ass or have a really interesting / different twist to not be scored lower.

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

andyg on Aug 15 '12 at 1:36pm I should say bad pop culture designs. Designs that use something recognizable just for the sake of being recognizable. I'm all for clever pop culture stuff, but that kind of thing is few and far between.

So pretty much every day on Teefury you would score a one or zero...zing! :D

-Lions with some kind of filter or effect on them. SO FUCKING TIRED OF LIONS ON SHIRTS.

-Unless it's an amazingly unique combo, two objects either finding love with one another, or one object mistaking the other object as their new love.

-Nouveau styled scenes for no other reason than Nouveau is now in.

So much more i can't think of right now...

Musarter

i-Nouveau styled scenes for no other reason than Nouveau is now in.

Hahahahaha. I noticed a lot of this and it always scores well. I would think there is only so many Nouveau designs a site can sell.

Manupix

And, you know, tastes change

So true. I can't believe the scores I gave 2 years ago ;_;

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us