Close
One second...

Interesting facts

I'm bored so please post some random, interesting, or astonishing facts.

I'll start

An average-sized cloud weighs 2 billion pounds.

The fastest punch belongs to the four inch-long mantis shrimp which can smash through a quarter inch-thick glass aquarium. Its strike is so powerful it produces flashes of light underwater due to a process called cavitation.

Breaking glass can propagate cracks at speeds exceeding the speed of sound.

Watch this
taz-pie

Holy shrimp!

parallelish

approximately 1/3 of the rain fall in a year comes from clouds produced by the trees from the amazon rain forest.

if you removed all the water from the earth and shrunk it down to the size of a cue ball, the earth would be smoother than the cue ball.

in relation to size the average spec of dust in ones house is half way between an atom and the earth.

thecuriousrobin

A pig's orgasm can apparently last up to half an hour.

Daviisilva

hahahahahahahahahaahahah @ elephants trivia

opifan64

another shrimp - the pistol shrimp - can immobilize its prey without even making physical contact. the shrimp's snapping claw creates a shock wave so strong it stuns its prey.

opifan64

if you removed all the water from the earth and shrunk it down to the size of a cue ball, the earth would be smoother than the cue ball.

that's actually really mind blowing.

opifan64

in relation to size the average spec of dust in ones house is half way between an atom and the earth.

these are cool facts!

celandinestern

hahahah the elephants fact is the best :)

i love these but never know if they are trustworthy when I find them randomly online. A few I had taken for granted for a while have later proven false.

But anyways.

The combination "ough" can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: "A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed."

The verb "cleave" is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: "adhere" and "separate."

Camel's milk does not curdle.

In every episode of Seinfeld there is a Superman somewhere.

Murphy's Oil Soap is the chemical most commonly used to clean elephants.

According to scientists, Spider web is one of the strongest materials known — its tensile strength is superior to that of high-grade steel and twice as strong as Kevlar of the same weight.

Non-dairy creamer is flammable.

The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie." (Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)

When opossums are playing 'possum, they are not "playing." They actually pass out from sheer terror.

The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building.

Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history.

Spades - King David
Clubs - Alexander the Great
Hearts - Charlemagne
Diamonds - Julius Caesar
YaaH

opifan64

haha, cool facts.

opifan64

whoa, crazy gif

lemonalle

The only member of ZZ Top who doesn't have a beard is named Frank Beard.

The verb "cleave" is the only English word with two synonyms which are antonyms of each other: "adhere" and "separate."

The same is true of the word "hew".

opifan64

Interesting theory about pirates - that most of them only wore an eye patch only before boarding a ship to keep one eye adjusted for darkness so that they would have night vision while fighting in the lower decks. This technique (closing one eye to preserve night vision) is still outlined in U.S. military field guides for fighting in varied light conditions.

opifan64

There are 10 times more bacterial cells in your body than human cells.

taz-pie

Stu's elephant fact is THE BEST

jamesf

screeched is the longest one sylable word. you're welcome!

t-thyme

Cna yuo raed tihs? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno’t mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe

opifan64

hey, that's pretty neat! :)

t-thyme

hey, tahts petrty naet! ;)

opifan64

If you shrank the sun down to the size of a single white blood cell, then brought everything else down to scale, our Milky Way galaxy would be the size of the continental U.S.A.

celandinestern

woah big galaxy! Size facts are awesome because scales in space are literally incomprehensible to my mind.

t-thyme

In 2003, there were 86 days of below-freezing weather in Hell, Michigan.

BeanePod

Michael Nesmith's (The Monkees) mother, Bette Nesmith, invented Liquid Paper.

I think I just lost some of my soul staring at that hand gif.

5eth

That pirate eye patch one is really cool

Chipmnk

Cockroaches can survive without their heads. But the head is also still alive. So you'll have the head still wiggling its antennae and looking around and the body scurrying around.

opifan64

I like that I'm actually learning some interesting things in this blog.

squintygirl

Alert, in Nunavut territory, Canada, is the northernmost permanent settlement in the world.

myteemo

The letter O is the oldest letter in the alphabet. It was first adopted in the Phoenician alphabet c. 1300 B.C.

opifan64

The highest percentage of UFO sightings occur near major fault lines. Apparently the enormous forces at play between the two tectonic plates can create floating balls of plasma energy. Either that or aliens are living in the Earth's crust and escaping through the fault lines.

BeanePod

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

And on a related note...

If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

Chipmnk

Seagulls are known in some instances to actually feed on live whales. As the whales breach the surface to take a breath, the seagulls land on them and feed on their skin and blubber until the whales dive back into the water.

xtiffany

mind blown

d3d

in Back to the Future 2 george mcfly wasn't played by Crispin Glover but by an actor wearing a prosthesis of Glover's aged face. Glover went to court to prevent the process being repeated.

Goldendust

Apparently, 23% of all photocopier faults are caused by people sitting on them and photocopying their butts.

t-thyme

The official record for most children born to one woman is 69. From 1725 to 1765, the first wife of Feodor Vassilyv (a Russian peasant) endured 27 pregnancies while producing 4 sets of quadruplets, 7 sets of triplets, and 16 pairs of twins.  Of the 69 total babies conceived, 67 of them survived infancy.

squintygirl

In Peru, a single bush may contain more ant species than in the entire British Isles.

BeanePod

Your body is creating and killing 15 million red blood cells per second!

No account?