Close
One second...

Help me name a company

So, my roommate is building an augmented reality company. He'd provide AR interfaces for commercial purposes. For example: you could try on clothes by holding up your smart phone to a mirror with you in it to see which Threadless shirt looks most badass on you. There is only one other company similar, and it is called APPEAR with the AR at the end a different color, which is a great name. You guy are good at naming shirts, perhaps you'd have great names for a company. :)

ETA: Remember, the company does general purpose AR. I used the clothing thing as an example. It can be used to see the interior of a house for sale, stats for a baseball player when he goes up to bat, or how a 60 inch television will look in your house.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

Microsoft

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

Enron

SuperRyan

Reali-Tee

but that's pretty tailored for shirts.

SuperRyan

Personal ShoppAR

pARsonal shopper

Kookaberry
Kookaberry profile pic Alumni

Reali-Tee would be a great specific name for a product for clothing. I'm keeping that one. :) Rare is actually interesting, too.

jet approves

how popular is this other company? it's a really good name and the AR name part has the great advantage of having a hint of the function in the name. just going to throw out my opinion that emphasizing the AR aspect of the name could play out in one of two ways if your friend decides to differentiate that as well.

1. he'll be lucky and the other company will go belly up. alternatively, if the other company doesn't have much footing and his version catches on his name will be the one people remember, forgetting Appear exists.
  2. people will see his company as an imitator and will be turned off by the similar name motif.

i don't think it's critical to have the differentiated AR in the name, seeing as blu-ray beat HD DVD, which had a much more obvious name.

ok, i will now try to be useful and actually think of some names.

jet approves

i like reali-tee for a clothing specific thing as well.

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

I don't do spec work

nintechno
nintechno profile pic Alumni

Augmented Reality...interesting. Adding on to the idea above

ARealitee

nintechno

And then for everything else... AReality.

Kookaberry

That's funny, that's the name he came up with. I said it was good but not quite there. Maybe it is better than I thought!

Kookaberry

I wish we could just steal the other name. I keep thinking about words like mirage, vision, accent, etc. AccentAR? Does that looks stupid? Twitter looked stupid. IDK!!

nintechno

I like it because it's a possible reality/AReality.

Go with it and see what happens.

Tagline: Everything's AReality?

Good luck and let us know what you guys decide. Naming stuff is fun.

nintechno

ooo

weAr is good.

Kookaberry

Or even weARe? We/are? AugmentAR is available. Remember, the company does general purpose AR. I used the clothing thing as an example. It can be used to see the interior of a house for sale, stats for a baseball player when he goes up to bat, or how a 60 inch television will look in your house.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

AppaREAL

AppARrel

Appearel

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Oh, not just clothing...

Manupix

augmented reality is such an awful/stupid expression though. Serious advice might be to stay as far away from it as possible.

Kookaberry

Augmented reality is the name for the concept, period. That'd be like saying the word "computer" is stupid and we should call it an "internet houser."

Kookaberry

But +R is very good. Lots of options to mull over.

Manupix

I disagree =)

Computer is a neutral and rather accurate description of a machine function.

Augmented reality is something that Microsoft marketing might have come up with, those people who'd sell us an OS as an 'experience' (and the trumpet sounds to go with it).

My point in mentioning it was just this: be aware that a certain bunch of people like me are easily upset by these semantics, and might be turned away from a product they might otherwise find useful.

I really have to force myself to go and buy those machines that try to compel on me how great using them will be, how awesome I'll look using them, how my life will be made so enhanced. Fuck, these are just goddamn machines that I need, I don't care for salesman to tell me how to live my fucking life. I hate my new phone for just this, I know I'll hate my next car too. I'm just a grumpy old man I guess, lol.

Steve The Great

it's like when sandwich shops name their sandwiches after stupid local landmarks. I don't want to order the "Civil War Monument on Dunway Street" I want a fraggen BLT.

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

ORANGE

as in Orange you glad you tried these clothes on in AR before buying them... or It's like comparing apples to Oranges on your body.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

P R O J E C T I O N

taz-pie

i stand by my suggestion.

SJ27

idk. But I tried thinking of AR words and I thought of aardvark. Is having the first entry in the phone book an important factor in the decision?

Otherwise something like spARk or something.

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

Bort, do you not know the mega-company, Orange?

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

staffell: Just like other people have never heard of Microsoft, Enron, Apple Computers, etc etc etc?

;-)

Kookaberry

Augmented reality isn't a machine, it's a way to deliver information. And it just IS the term. You can argue against it all you want, but it won't change the facts. I honestly don't know what else you would call it. When you have 3D images overlay real world objects...that pretty much is reality, only augmented. Do you have a firm grasp of the concept? I can try to find some videos for you.

Also, unless you own a pretty large company that would specifically benefit from this, you aren't the target market. ;)

Manupix

Do you have a firm grasp of the concept? Probably not :S

you aren't the target market Oh. Pheeeewww! =D

Kookaberry

The industrial uses alone are insane.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us