Close
One second...

Do you believe in a God?

.. or many Gods, no Gods, or maybe practice abrahamism?

I'm just curious to see the responses here. Was talking about this with a fellow threadlesser before and thought I'd open up the floor to discussion.

As for me, I'm kind of in this weird limbo. Growing up, I went to church every week and followed and grew up on what was told to me...all these scriptures and passages about God, and I believed them. But as I grew older and more disconnected, this figure became less and less real to me. There are times in my life that I cant find any explanation to other than some spirit amongst the Cosmos, but God? Questionable. My faith has been tested multiple times, especially these past few months, and this God we speak of has become as credible to me as a childhood imaginary friend.

disclaimer: this may be a sensitive topic to some people, so keep it clean. all opinions/views welcome

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. ... 16
jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

pantheism

(spinoza was right)

jamesf
jamesf profile pic Alumni

nah. it's all bullshit

Manupix

nope

Chipmnk

I waver between not believing and being open to the idea of it, but for the most part, not really.

Omair

I've been watching a lot of ancient aliens recently, and not to say that I believe in space emissaries or anything, but like... I do believe that there is something out there that is beyond our understanding, but it's indifferent to our existence.

I don't really believe in the concept of being punished for sin, and rewarded for faith. I think you should just do good because, fuck man, why not? I don't believe that there is a God that creates people for us to hate. But that doesn't mean I don't believe there is a God.

I guess, there's too much in this world that we can't really explain and there's too much going on in the universe that we can't even begin to understand. So really, what position are we in to start shooting down other beliefs/theories? Our understanding of the world and the universe is like a Teardrop in an ocean.

Omair

I feel like starting my post with "I've been watching a lot of ancient aliens recently" kinda makes everything else I've written after it sound like a joke.

jmeaspls

also, jeffg, you probably know this but it's fine to define god as whatever makes sense to you. the neat thing about religion is that it'd probably be pretty difficult to find two people that agree about what god is / what it/he/she's about.

if an old definition of god isn't working for you, maybe a new one would harmonize more with how you understand the world.

SJ27

Yeah.

pd23

God exist inside us!!!!

some people make millions out of religions and definitely they don't deserve any faith

.....but in this life you have to believe to yourself and find piece with yourself and others

THIS IS GOD

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

@james

no, i understand that. maybe its the term itself - GOD. like it its entirety. theres so many variations and people are allowed to believe in whatever and whoever they want. i just don't believe this figure ever really existed in the first place, and was probably just conjured up by a combination of anomalies, stories, and just time in general by our predecessors.

ivanrodero

I prefer to think that I am way to insignificant in the general scheme of things to even gasp that I have knowledge enough to know this kind of stuff, as I think that nobody really has the real answers to anything, just faith to know the truth... I'm really happy accepting my ignorance.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

so, am I wrong in believing this, Nathan?

Omair

It's weird, because the rest of my family is religious. Not super religious, but they pray 5 times a day, adhere to the basic muslim beliefs, etc. Islam sort of permeates how you do everything in your life, from waking up in the morning to going to sleep at night.

So, even though I'm not religious a lot of my morals sort of lie heavily on logic I've gained through being raised in an Islamic environment.

But a huge reason as to why I avoid conventional religion is because of all the separation and segregation I feel that comes with it. Like growing up, going to the mosque with my father, going to Sunday school, it always felt like I was being told that I had to only hang out with muslims, or try and set an example for all the "non-believers". Something that I never liked.

One thing about me that I think some of you know is that I really like making friends, I like talking to people and making them laugh. While this was never looked down upon by my family, I come from a large community, and I would be looked at weird by muslim peers in school for talking to or associating myself with different people, different genders, etc.

I've always had a really complicated relationship with religion, even as a kid. But, I will never downplay someone else's beliefs no matter how much they differ from mine, because growing up in the new millenium with muslims essentially being in the spotlight as the world's #1 demographic to hate resulted in a lot of unwanted stress.

I still get uncomfortable when people start attacking islamic beliefs, or display ignorance towards it, even though I'm not religious myself. I feel like being a part of the muslim community was ultimately beneficial to my character even though I met a lot of muslims growing up that were too rigid for me.

littlem

i believe. but i question things often. and i accept a lot of other peoples' beliefs. but i don't push my beliefs on others and i hope they would respect me the same way.

nathanwpyle at gmail.com
nathanwpyle at gmail.com profile pic Alumni

Well no one can answer that for sure! I have my faith/beliefs and each has his/her own.

But on a basic level, I believe you are getting at the necessity for absolute truth. I.e. we can't ALL be right if we disagree

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I certainly don't subscribe to any defined religion. They make no sense to me, and frankly I'm a little wary of people who seem to take religion too seriously, because from experience I know there's a good chance we'll disagree on a whole lot of things.

Also in terms of Christianity, I find it really sad that people actively subscribe to the 'I have to be good or a big man from the sky will punish me' concept. What is the value of our choice to be good then, if goodness brings heavenly rewards? How about if it was set up so that being good means you go to hell - would you all go out and step on kittens? I deeply believe that morality has to come from within a human being, as a reflection of his/ her empathy for other human beings and living things in general. Being good should be its own reward, and being enticed with angel wings and sugarplums frankly feels pretty patronizing to me.

As far as the concept of God in the general spiritual sense of 'moving force of all life', that's trickier, but basically the answer is still 'no'. I realise we don't know what kicked those first particles into a reaction that created the Big Bang, and yes that is the eternal question - why is there ANYTHING? - but I personally don't think the Catalyst needs to be sentient, and am guessing it probably isn't.

As far as just rewards go, just looking around you shows you that's plainly wrong. Shit happens to pretty much everyone, no matter what. My mother in law is very religious and likes to debate religion with me, but she runs out of answers when I ask her what exactly she thinks all the starving children in Africa did wrong to deserve such suffering. The whole idea of 'deserving' bad stuff that happens to you is pretty sick in my view.

Ok I know this is way too long now and I'm rambling but final point - some people find comfort in religion, it serves a useful purpose in their lives and I fully respect that. But trying to sell the idea to me is just plain rude (and they do try, incessantly). I don't go around telling people they should stop believing, so I wish they'd stop coming around and telling me I should start.

Chipmnk

Even though I don't believe in God, I do get freaked out about demonic possession. So there's that.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

I think I more believe in the hope that there is more than anything specific. I had a Christmas and Easter Christianity upbringing, until my dad died, and my grandparents forced a more Every Sunday and Sometimes Wednesdays Christianity. I don't really care for organized religion, and I believe that the Bible was written by men and is thus flawed and downright wrong in parts, but I guess I believe in there being something. Maybe God...I don't know.

Mostly I just believe in life after love.

celandinestern

Also many religions have historically brought with them many sound and profoundly good moral and ethical concepts, and especially in older times religion often went hand in hand with wisdom and learning, which is to be respected.

and yeah, Islam is majorly misunderstood by way too many people. Fundamentalists are only a small part of it, and mostly a recent one, from what I understand. So much of Islam is about measure and wisdom and respect and when I was reading up on it some of it rang better with me than Christianity which should culturally be closer to me. Also there is this awesome Cracked article that gives some really cool facts about Islam a lot of people don't know.

Yes, Cracked is my main information source on all matters.

Chipmnk

Church of Cher.

mullmuggins

Not for me. My dad was brought up Catholic, my mum was brought up Protestant. Neither of them believed, but they never really said much about it - they thought we should make up our own minds.

God just seems a bit unlikely to me, but that's probably because I wasn't brought up with any faith. I do think people should be left to believe whatever they want to though, as long as it's not negatively impacting on other people. Kind of a live and let live approach, I guess?

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

it's my personal opinion that no god exist.

however i enjoy thinking in "ifs" and if there were an all powerful all knowing god i would imagine it would be deistic and would create an infinite number of parallel universes where in this multiverse anything and everything that could happen does and will. although i also believe that this type of multiverse could exist without a god, and that that is more than likely the case.

everyone needs to loose their faith in religion and begin to formulate their own beliefs based on facts we gather from reality. people need to realize that believing in something with no justifiable evidence (i.e. faith) is a bad thing.

i don't care what anyone else believes as long as they have good reason to believe in it.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

I do not believe in any God. I find it baffling how hundreds of thousands people can put so much faith into the same omnipotent being without a smidgen of proof that 'he' exists, and expect to be taken seriously. It's hard for me to explain how ridiculous I find the concept without coming across as offensive though, even though that's not my intention.

I work with a girl who is very, very religious to the extreme that she will find a way to bring God into everything. If I get sick, God will heal me. If I make a mistake, God is testing me. If we get an aggressive or rude customer, God will judge them. If I miss a bus, God has a reason for making me miss that bus. She says all of this as if it is unquestionable fact, and that's the kind of religious belief that baffles me. If I were to put all of my faith into a unique, personally imagined God - a giant cactus with rabbit ears, for example - and talked about that as she does her Christian God, she'd think me insane. That I don't get.

One of our regular customers is a nun, and quite a respected one, by all accounts. I've been drunk with her many a time. She too is obviously religious, but if it ever gets to the point where her beliefs are questioned, she's able to joke about it and/or back her beliefs up with an intelligent argument, which even though I may or may not buy, makes more sense than blind religious belief.

But, I believe in ghosts, so my logic is self-contradictory.

SJ27

I feel like I point this out every time we have this talk, but someone always says it, so here goes. Christians do not believe that you have to be good or else a big man in the sky will punish you. This is the primary reason why so many Christians are arseholes.

[+duracell-]

Yes, I believe in God. heats jiffypop

shirtflirt

some say that our consciousness is an expression of God or god. i still haven't found a decent explanation of either, honestly.

i will say this though, historically, shit changed drastically after abraham was visited in the desert.

and lol at jellyes "spinoza was right" comment. hilarious.

i believe in the cosmic spider. like the dogon. from which the string theory was developed by western minds (7500 years after the dogon has the same concept)

shirtflirt

"all religions are true."

mahatma ghandi

shirtflirt

gandhi. sorry mahatma.

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

yeah sure I believe. it's a personal thing, though, for me. I'm not all that religious. but as for believing in a god, I'm down.

celandinestern

haha, mahatma will forgive you, he was that kind of guy :)

SJ, I honestly get the feeling that most Christians don't really believe much of anything except that talking about God a lot makes everyone thing you're a super duper good person. That's what I get from my interactions with them anyways. I don't see them not coveting their neighbors' whatever, or doing unto others as they would have others do unto them, or anything. They basically seem to act however they want and then cross themselves on the bus while driving past a church and seem to think that means they get into heaven and I don't.

celandinestern

*that's 'makes everyone THINK' and not 'thing'.

shirtflirt

the whole "personal god" is very interesting to me. before abraham, it wasn't really like that. the evolution of faith!

shirtflirt

i was chiming in on a lovely christian facebook thread the other day about the "homosexual problem" in society. what a glorious bunch of compassionate people, lemme tell ya.

celandinestern

Also many Christians have directly said to me things like 'my faith is important to me because God watches over what I do and it gives me a reason to be a good person.', in those words. So that's where I take that view from, by the way.

mike bautista

as for why I believe in a god, it comforts me. pretty hard to throw logic in a discussion about god and religion. I've never really found any.

shirtflirt

i think the attempt to organize truth into a religious discussion is based in logic however, i also thinking trying to make a square fit into a circle is a waste of time so i've never been in agreement with this idea.

celandinestern

hah mike, that's probably the most sensible explanation of belief that I've ever heard.

jmeaspls

I find it baffling how hundreds of thousands people can put so much faith into the same omnipotent being without a smidgen of proof that 'he' exists, and expect to be taken seriously.

i don't think this is that strange, really. many people in the world take certain scientific statements as truth without personally having interacted with any proof for those claims.

an example are electrons. why do you believe in electrons? because the scientists tell you they exist? and they're the reason your electronic devices work?

i think a parallel can be drawn between this and religious views. some believe in god because others swear to his existence.

and lol at jellyes "spinoza was right" comment. hilarious.

yeah i was being silly using the word 'right,' but if you start from the rather uncontroversial 'basic claims,' his ideas pop right out! and they're compatible with so many things. it's brilliant!

DesignbyProxy
DesignbyProxy profile pic Alumni

I believe in God, fully and whole-heartedly. If the idea that Gods exists to prevent bad from happening that's not the definition of a God, that's a guardian.

To be tested in faith isn't a bad thing, but if trust is broken so quickly, you may think about the reasons one began believing in the first place.

I believe that everyone can find God in many different ways, but like my experience, I accepted God on my own terms, even though my father is an ordained minister, but when tested and tried, my faith I find is unwavering, and its the only consistent thing in my life. I believe it's what saved me from my car wreck, and it's the one thing that has helped my family through all of our financial problems in the past few years.

DesignbyProxy

and to

I find it baffling how hundreds of thousands people can put so much faith into the same omnipotent being without a smidgen of proof that 'he' exists, and expect to be taken seriously.

Proof is in the history that no one can explain. Scientists, authors, lawyers, and other geniuses have tried to disprove he exists and all have come to faith through an inability to do so.

Take C.S. Lewis for example. He set out to prove God didn't exist, and then became one of the greatest Christian writers in history.

shirtflirt

spinoza was really defining advaitism. that's why i lol'd. i agree with his concepts, he's uses more contemporary words to describe more aspects but underneath, he's an advaitist.

DesignbyProxy

I do believe that faith is truth to the individual and I do disagree with a lot of ORGANIZED RELIGIONS (which is not the same as having faith) however, this truth can be different for millions of people... another analogy.

10 people stand on different sides of a prism and a light is shown through. They will all see different things, because the prism is multifaceted. Such is faith, we all see differently, but that doesn't make one's truth any less legitimate.

shirtflirt

i'd say there's as much evidence against god as there is for god. and we're left to pick a side when really it's perfectly normal to fluctuate. i've never felt the exact same everyday of my life; it's odd to expect faith to be that way. unless you set your mind and never think about it again, like, do electron's exist? i mean, in science class i was given evidence of them existing and thought, ok, they exist. and moved on. with faith, i don't think it should be this simple but that's just for me.

corey9

nope. but, i do believe in common sense and treating others the way you'd wanna be treated. i also believe in math, as well as french toast.

mike bautista

hey Al and James, what's the thing called where it's like your perception is a personal reality? or something? I forgot what it's called and can't explain it. it's neither here nor there, I just wanna know what the term is called.

shirtflirt

hmm. good question i hope james knows.

shirtflirt

i believe in corey9

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7