Close
One second...

BATMAN HORROR (UPDATE shooter tried to kill himself)

Aurora Shooting: Suspect Opens Fire At Colorado Movie Theater, Killing 14

A gunman opened fire at a movie theater in suburban Denver on Friday, killing at least 14 people and injuring 50 others.

The incident, which took place about 12:30 a.m. at the Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colo., occurred during midnight screenings of the new Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises."

link to news

http://youtu.be/vAPkg3lbtSs

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!

I heard about the relaxed gun laws in Colorado, but I didn't know whether there were exceptions for movie theaters.

Or even if regular gun-carriers would think about taking their gun with them to watch a movie.

SJ27

Haragos on Jul 20 '12 at 4:40pm Please please please don't make this thread about gun control

Fucking piss weak.

YOU made this thread "political" and "about gun control" when you reminded us all, before anyone even said so, that banning things won't solve the problem and there was a big massacre in Norway etc etc.

You don't get to make statements like that which state your point of view and then follow it up with a "but don't make this political." You don't get to say what you want to say and then stop others from saying what they want to say.

SJ27

What was there someone in her who got baleted who maybe brought it up first? If they did I was wrong about you bringing it up.

Thomas Orrow

It looks like somebody called Joe deleted their account, along with their comments perhaps.

SJ27

Seems like they were here stirring up trouble.

inkdummy
inkdummy profile pic Alumni

This is just awful. And the day before the anniversary of Utöya. So much awfulness in such a short timespan.

uglyducknyc

Yes, there was a user called joe-tey who went on long rants about how this could only have happened in America with its relaxed gun laws.

Well said Outlaw01. I grew up in one of the other suburbs of Denver, like Aurora, and I can attest that it is not a wild west town where the average person walks around carrying a gun. This was a senseless act of violence that is useless to try to understand and could have happened anywhere.

SJ27

Shit OK, sorry Haragos! I didn't realise there was some random up in here making it political first, sorry!

ellygeh
ellygeh profile pic Alumni

Just read the whole blog. It was VERY confusing without that Joe's comment.

This thing is so bad I couldn't draw or do anything right since yesterday.My thoughts and prayers out to the victims and their families.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Well said Outlaw01

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

3 separate friends made jokes to me about this yesterday and I was speechless.

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

It's fine SJ27 you didn't see the deleted posts. Yeah some guy randomly came in here and started blaming the American system and so forth. I'm tired of the media/people blaming everything but the actual guy that committed the crime.

nathanwpyle at gmail.com
nathanwpyle at gmail.com profile pic Alumni

Mitch, I've seen similar from friends on facebook, etc. unbelievable

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

I don't think it's a question of not blaming the perpetrator, that's a given, it's a question of trying to dig deeper and look at the issue in a broader context. It's true that mass killings occur around the world so it's not something unique to America, but statistically the U.S. is over-represented. You can argue about the reasons why but it's simplistic to just turn a blind eye to it. There aren't more mentally ill people in the U.S. vs the rest of the world so obviously something else is at play.

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

i still don't know where having a gun is something good. it amazes me how things like this keep happening... like, really? how? why?

i've always heard several theories about how killing yourself is a selfish thing and yadda yadda yadda... i think that killing other people is selfish. killing yourself before killing someone else is the the way to go.

there's no way to do justice in this situation... the people are already dead, and that's it... no having them back. EVER. i know how that feels... natural passing is something you learn to live with, but having someone close to you murdered, that's impossible to understand.

shit. i'm tired of this planet.

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

Well its not guns opi, look at switzerland.

opifan64

Well, I'm talking about overall trends. There are still drug addicts in Taiwan even though they have the death penalty for trafficking, but there are far fewer overall. Citing specific instances doesn't really illustrate your point. As far as I can tell Switzerland had only one mass killing back in 1995 whereas the U.S. has had many times that. Of course Switzerland also has a much smaller population. I'm not professing to have all the answers. Ultimately it's a senseless and tragic event, and maybe there aren't any reasons, but it seems misguided not to at least consider contributing factors like the availability of guns.

opifan64

and to be clear, I'm not bashing America. I was born in the States and think it's a great country. I also understand the historical context for the right to bear arms and all that.

Ste7en

Switzerland requires everyone to have a firearm. They have dramatically less gun violence per capita. There are a ridiculous number of factors that have to converge to make a baby turn into a psycho killer. Guns are a small part of the equation. Any violence is systemic of natural and environmental causes. Removing guns from people who are not unfit and who do not wish to perpetrate crimes with them will not protect them from people that do.

taz-pie

I dunno if this makes me a hard bitch, but i really cant wait to hear this fucker try and explain his actions on monday. Like, WHY

Ste7en

I don't want him to try and explain. We put too much value in understanding people like this. People like this do not deserve to be heard in any capacity.

opifan64

I'll admit I wasn't aware of that fact, and like I said I don't have all the answers. I will say that it's hard to compare a country with such a small population, and while Switzerland's overall murder rates are lower than the United States, their gun-related homicide rate is nearly the highest in Europe at 6.4 (compared to 10.27 in the U.S.). In Japan, where they have strict gun control, the rate is only 0.07. Switzerland's percentage of gun-related homicides is also very close to the U.S. (58% vs 65%).

opifan64

I'll admit that Japan's low crime rate is probably due to many other factors beyond simply gun control. statistics can be deceptive when comparing one country to another.

Ste7en

statistics can be deceptive when comparing one country to another.

Agreed. I have a rule I follow. Unless im doing math, no single number is the answer.

Daviisilva

Sad news. I hate when I hear news like this. SteveOramA, glad that nothing happened to you! My sympathy to the victims and their families. Take care north american thread friends =(

soloyo

Yeah, I don't care about this crazy man reasons or statements.

I rather not know what's on his mind.

shirtflirt

"I don't think it's a question of not blaming the perpetrator, that's a given, it's a question of trying to dig deeper and look at the issue in a broader context. It's true that mass killings occur around the world so it's not something unique to America, but statistically the U.S. is over-represented. You can argue about the reasons why but it's simplistic to just turn a blind eye to it. There aren't more mentally ill people in the U.S. vs the rest of the world so obviously something else is at play."

last thing i or we should do is turn a blind eye to this type of shit whatever the motivation behind it is. "it's a question of trying to dig deeper and look at the issue in a broader context." this has been my point since this blog started but it falls on deaf ears/eyes.

and soloyo, exactly right, paying NO MIND to his words is really the only punishment suitable for this whacknut. think about it, dude spends months planning this cowardly act, each day passes and his self delusion grows. it's all building up for his, like the unabombers' washington post entry, grand statement. the only thing every news outlet in the world should do is shut off their cameras when he decides to speak in greater detail.

but we all know that won't happen.

shirtflirt

taz i'm sure the opportunity will come for you to have that opportunity and i'm willing to bet everything i have, which isn't a lot, that his "explanation" will only leave you either more disgusted, more nauseaous at the depths a person's soul can delve or both with a twist of regret for listening. telling ya, it'll leave ya worse for it.

ecsu
ecsu profile pic Alumni

you know why having strict gun possession policies won't do any good as well?

people will still be able to get them if they put an effort to it. and that's a fact.

:/

soloyo

I heard that his apartment was set up to catch fire at the time of his assault at the movie theater in order to distract the police...

shirtflirt

report i heard is that he had, on a timer, his stereo set to a ridiculously loud volume in hopes that someone would try and enter his apt and set off the booby traps.

cryptic fucker this one

shirtflirt

i'm also pleased to see the box office is still making money despite this fucknuts actions.

[+duracell-]

Just thought of this today.. how would you like to be an usher at a theater. You know, the guy that comes in with his flashlight and walks up the rows looking for people who have their feet on seat backs. Mmm, yeah I think I would be quitting. Don't wanna get attacked inadvertently by jumpy patrons.

SJ27

I heard there was chaos at another theatre because two dudes started fighting in the back and everyone freaked out and thought there was a copycat. It was the place where a guy got shot after a showing of Fiddy Cent's Get Rich or Die Tryin.

Thomas Orrow

"it's a question of trying to dig deeper and look at the issue in a broader context.".

Yes, this struck a chord with me too. In a sense, I agree with Haragos' sentiment that the killer should take responsibility for his own actions and popular culture eg Batman is not to blame for this.

I love Hollywood movies, and would hate to see any censorship or changes made to movies, because of this.

Saying that, it is interesting to try and understand what happened and what context the killings were in. Also, perhaps the rise of mass shootings around the world....or just a general discussion about mass killings.

Thomas Orrow

From the Huffington Post:

Single-victim gun killings have dropped more than 40 percent since 1980, according to 2010 FBI crime data. But the total number of people dying in attacks that claimed four or more victims has climbed from an average of 161 a year in the 1980s to 163 between 2006 and 2008, according to FBI statistics.

taz-pie

that is a really small increase!

Thomas Orrow

Maybe it's only a percepted increase, as the population has risen. Maybe it's even a decrease to the 1980's.

I guess there were more killings when Al Capone was around too!

SJ27

There's no way that's a statistically significant difference.

It's because gangbangers are shooting each other in the butt.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I agree it is not about gun laws alone, but do feel it is a factor. It is not about the desensitization of violence alone but this is also a factor. And it is not about mental health alone.

We can look at the statistics of gun laws and gun crime but what might also be interesting is statistics on mental health?

I do not know much about American History and I am interested to understand exactly why in the US everyone has the right to bare arms?

taz-pie

i am also ignorant. i dont understand why people would want a gun just because it is THEIR RIGHT to own one? totally dont geddit.

SJ27

Because it would be positively draconian to cover those babies up.

taz-pie

lookit dem guns

inkdummy
inkdummy profile pic Alumni

I do not know much about American History and I am interested to understand exactly why in the US everyone has the right to bare arms?

The way I've understood it, the reason this exists in the Consitution in the first place is in order to have a militia. Something the founding fathers deemed neccessary for the security of a free state and therefore, the right to keep/bear arms shall not be infringed.

Which is all well and good, but it seems to have been interpreted a bit ascew, I guess. But then again, I'm not american so I might have misunderstood.

The Paper Crane
1 design submitted -

Haha 'bare arms', 'bear arms' they both sound pretty stupid!

Thanks inkdummy that is the way I understood it. Can any learned American confirm this?

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

intelligent, sensitive article about the lack of the usual Hollywood backlash since the shooting. here's the opening:

There seems to be very little of the blame-it-on-Hollywood backlash in the wake of the Colorado theater massacre that so often occurs when people struggle to make sense of a senseless, violent act.

Many agree that you simply can't hold the art form itself responsible in the shooting that left...

http://news.yahoo.com/hollywood-skirts-blame-dark-knight-shooting-134733579.html

nathanwpyle at gmail.com
nathanwpyle at gmail.com profile pic Alumni

In answer to one of the above questions...

Thomas Jefferson:

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

And then many offer counterpoints such as....

"The founding fathers couldn't have foreseen the arsenal of weaponry that one man could accumulate"

At least that's part of the discussion - the possibility of a disparity between the original intention of the established right and endless possibilities that such a right would create.

The Paper Crane
1 design submitted -

Very well put Nathan and that is where I am leading. And neither could they have foreseen the arsenal of weaponry accumulated by Government. Being armed as individuals, in firearms alone, is hardly a fair fight when you are up against tanks, missiles, fighter planes, nuclear and biological weapons etc. Therefore it seems a considerably outdated and pointless bill which can only lead to violent crimes between common people. Unless they are to consider the right as citizens to possess more sophisticated and lethal weaponry?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?