Close
One second...

BATMAN HORROR (UPDATE shooter tried to kill himself)

Aurora Shooting: Suspect Opens Fire At Colorado Movie Theater, Killing 14

A gunman opened fire at a movie theater in suburban Denver on Friday, killing at least 14 people and injuring 50 others.

The incident, which took place about 12:30 a.m. at the Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colo., occurred during midnight screenings of the new Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises."

link to news

http://youtu.be/vAPkg3lbtSs

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
nikolina100

This has been heavy on my heart all day.

bortwein

Steve: wow. thanks for the update. Interesting to read your reaction on the yahoo news page.

I wonder if more people will have the same feeling about the theater as you did and they will decide to "remodel it" similar to how the High School in Columbine was remodeled to try and remove the bad feeling from the place.

Haragos

Thanks Steve… The media really is like a pack of hungry wolves.

SteveOramA

Bortwein: I also wonder the same thing. What sucks is that I drive past it multiple times every day. The theater sign sticks out in the skyline too much also. I will constantly be reminded.

My sister texted me that the mall has always been crappy and she hopes that they get rid of the entire thing. That's a little extreme but who knows what they'll do.

uglyducknyc

Really scary, sad, and senseless.

I grew up in Colorado and a friend's friend posted on Facebook an image of their ticket with the comment that they left the theater with bloody hands trying to help others.

jublin

It seems like some of the rumors around this shooting are kind of spiraling out of control. I don't see how WB would consider canceling all screenings of the movie because of this. And I'm not sure I understand how TDKR would be even more popular due to this shooting. I've heard the shooter was dressed up as both Bane and the Joker in separate articles.

That blog post from the girl that apparently died in the shooting and her tweets up until 20 minutes before the movie is what really gets me. Just reading through a couple of posts and tweets makes it so much more real.

opifan64

It's been a really crazy week. We had a shooting in Toronto on Monday where 25 people were shot at a barbecue and two innocent bystanders died (one a fourteen-year-old girl) and now this horrible event. It's hard to wrap your head around. Such a bizarre and tragic coincidence that the girl who escaped the Eaton's Centre shooting (Toronto again) would end up at that movie theatre.

opifan64

Apparently the shooter just dropped out of a PhD program in neuroscience. no criminal record.

uglyducknyc

I understand WB wanting to be considerate of the victims, but I don't think they should pull the movie.

btw: I saw the movie this morning and thought it was amazing and a great finale to the trilogy.

Haragos

@joe

Wasn’t there even a larger shooting in Europe last year WITH a gun ban? Yes! There was… but like I said before please don’t make this thread political.

opifan64

My sister texted me that the mall has always been crappy and she hopes that they get rid of the entire thing. That's a little extreme but who knows what they'll do.

I remember they demolished the McDonald's in San Ysidro where that mass shooting took place in 1984 and put up a student facility of some kind with a memorial to the victims.

shirtflirt

yeah...norway has strict gun policies...crazy asshole people will do crazy asshole things. it's a societal problem.

ibyes

This guy didn't even have the common courtesy to shoot himself afterwards. What he really should have done is shoot himself before he left his house.

shirtflirt

so true ibyes.

and i'm thinking about the parents. dude has no criminal record yet without hesistation the mom knew it was her son when the police questioned her not long after the shit went down.

if i ever have an inkling that my offspring would do something like this bet it wouldn't leave our house.

shirtflirt

which is why dexter's dad, was a good dad.

step dad, i guess.

[+duracell-]

Well I know I no longer wish to see this movie.

againstbound

Man, this shit sucks :(

opifan64

It's a complex issue and there are no easy answers. I think gun control is part of the solution but we have fairly strict gun control in Canada and there have been several shootings in the last week in Toronto. Part of the problem is a porous border with the States and illegal gun trafficking so no amount of gun regulation is going to have much effect here. In a case like this it's harder to understand the root causes since the act itself is so senseless. If you want to go strictly by statistics, states with more licensed gun owners have less crime per capita than states with stricter gun laws (where you can't carry a concealed gun)... at least according to one advocate.

Haragos

Please please please don't make this thread about gun control

bortwein

joe: Really, how many such incidents are there in America and how many are there in other countries? FYI

Nigeria: Officials say more than 500 could have died in clashes between Islamist pastoralists and Christian villagers

Mexico: 49 Decapitated Bodies Found Scattered Along Mexican Highway

Libia: in September, the health minister in the new Libyan government estimated that at least 30,000 people had been killed and 50,000 wounded during the first six months of the war.

Just to name a few via Google... America may have a liberal gun policy and some crazy whack jobs that do some serious bad stuff, but come on... you can't just say all Americans are Gun toting crazies and we shouldn't be shocked when things like this happen.

bortwein

Bass Pro Shops, a chain of outdoor stores from which Holmes bought some of the guns he is believed to have used to carry out Friday's shooting, is out with this statement:

"Based on the records we have reviewed, personnel in our Denver store correctly and fully followed all federal requirements with respect to the sale of one shotgun and one handgun to the individual identified in this incident. Background checks, as required by federal law, were properly conducted and he was approved."
Haragos

That said thing is the man had no previous problems so there was no way to know. It seems like people close to him might have known something. I mean his mother knew almost instantly...

PogoLightning

Terribly tragic.

People are fucking nuts.

The only plus to him not having killed himself too is that maybe they can get some insight as to why he wanted to do this and what made him such a maniac...see what his deal was. To maybe help prevent things in the future, I don't know...just a thought.

againstbound

Who the fuck are you, again?

shirtflirt

you don't have to be anybody, but if you have a point, it's very convoluted. are you saying america is crazy for having a constitutional right to bear arms? at one point, i would have agreed with you, back in the day. but it's a bigger issue than saying 'presto, make the guns go away and this type of thing won't happen.' and that's naive, for beginners. secondly, it's not like there's not a black market. thirdly, this was a 'clean dude' with no prior record so maybe he just snapped but i doubt it. this took planning and he knew the theatre would be crowded and it was late in the evening...he is a demon without a doubt.

but this wide brush stroke your swinging is just silly, that's all. that's why no one is really addressing your issues. which, to me, seems to be basically disallowing any evidence of any global random violence in lieu of just hoping/saying it only happens in the states? maybe i'm wrong. if so what is your point?

Outlaw01

I can only shake my head at this. I don't know what to say or think about it.

soloyo-collabs

A baby was killed in the massacre.

A BABY, maybe it shouldn't have been there in the first place but it shouldn't have been killed this way either!!

opifan64

but this wide brush stroke your swinging is just silly, that's all. that's why no one is really addressing your issues. which, to me, seems to be basically disallowing any evidence of any global random violence in lieu of just hoping/saying it only happens in the states? maybe i'm wrong. if so what is your point?

I actually agree with his point that the examples given aren't valid comparisons. The specific kind of gun violence that occurs primarily in the U.S. is inextricably tied to the second amendment, but people simply aren't willing to address that. You can only kill so many people with a knife but an automatic weapon makes it very easy to kill a lot of people in a short amount of time.

againstbound

Hahaha, so you are! I ask cause I truly have no idea who you are, and if you're actually trying to make a point or just just trolling. Cause you do seem to have a bit of a biased, anti-gringo opinion.

uglyducknyc

Soloyo, it doesn't surprise me. Years ago I went to see the remake of Dawn of the Dead and people had brought their children — all of whom were under 7 years old.

The second the parents purchased the tickets, the theater should have called child services to take the kids away from these idiot parents...

Haragos

I can top you all sadly with people bringing young kids to a movie. Had to be 5 years old at.... A Saw movie! YES A SAW MOVIE. Talk about awful parents.

againstbound

Oh man, when that rabies face thing catches on I'm gonna regret so bad what I said.

EZFL

who the hell is joe tey?

opifan64

where the hell is joe tey?

FlyingMonkeyMan

this is just sad. very very sad...=(

on a side note, now that joe tey's comments have somehow disappeared this conversation is so confusing when you try to read it again with the comments gone.

againstbound

Ohshit, was that staffdelete? Or do your posts go away now if you delete your account?

opifan64

comments disappear if you delete your profile.

opifan64

rabies face's first victim. :/

opifan64

in retrospect my comment seems really stupid and disrespectful given the gravity of this blog. too many beers on a friday night. my apologies.

shirtflirt

Violence is violence. Is this worse than a religiously inspired genocide using machetes? The hairs you are splitting really mean nothingexcept regional specific weaponry. Is that the point?

Ste7en

If this were Switzerland someone would have shot the fucker pretty fast. Humanity keeps on living down to expectations.

shirtflirt

seriously...where are all the armed citizens excercising their second amendment rights? i thought america was the wild west...not just isolated incidents like most everywhere else

Thomas Orrow

I'm guessing people aren't allowed to take firearms to a movie theater.

Thomas Orrow

The age old discussion of movies influencing people to make copycat killings is ridiculous imho. People have a serious problem if they can't distinguish between fantasy and reality.

That is not the fault of the movie or moviemaker.

Ste7en

depends what state

Thomas Orrow

How about Denver, Colorado?

Ste7en

I see what you did there. They have really relaxed gun laws though. Concealed firearm permits are easy to obtain, and as far as I know would allow one to carry a concealed weapon into any public place as long as the intention is lawful (i.e for self defense).

shirtflirt

arizona you could wear your gun wherever you went

Outlaw01

I don't think we should argue influence from any source here.

This was an individual with, prior to this incident, a clean bill of health -- as far as anyone else was concerned, or as far as any papers on him revealed.

Whether lax or strict regulations -- this is an isolated event in which a disturbed individual committed a terrible act. He is the exception, not the rule. And while stricter regulations or even a better upbringing may have shaped and helped particular people -- this person had no history that would betray him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... let's stop talking about what could have been done, should have been done, and will be done -- and respectfully acknowledge the tragedy that has befallen the innocent people who just wanted to see a movie and simply send our deepest condolences.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?