What happened in 2008 to kill the voters?

Why was there such a massive drop in voting numbers? See:

The big trough on the first part is a sub that finished early, and the big peak on the second part is when there was some promotional offer for people that voted lots of designs that week or something.

Watch this
taz-pie

I blame Rachels intern

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

The Hottie And The Nottie is a 2008 American romantic comedy film starring Paris Hilton, Joel Moore, Christine Lakin, and Greg Wilson. It was written by Heidi Ferrer (Dawson's Creek). The film started shooting in January 2007 and was released February 8, 2008.

The Hottie and the Nottie was released on DVD on May 6, 2008.

littlem

video killed the radio star

Twiggyhall

Wait. Paris Hilton is supposed to be the "hottie" in that movie - ??

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni

littlem opened her legs

rhythmdev9

NKOTB got back together.

littlem

jeffreyg on Jul 19 '12 at 1:13pm littlem opened her legs

that was 1985 get your history straight

littlem

jk i'm a 60 year old virgin

littlem

all my kids are adopted

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

Side effect of experimenting with the Large Hadron Collider... but at least the world didnt explode.

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

All those voters was actually one guy with 2000 accounts. Guy’s in prison now.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I wish someone had an actual clue. It is a pretty sharp cut-off point. I had always imagined they just dropped off gradually over time.

Manupix

Possibly something that made Tless more attractive to designers: more visibility? more prize money?

celandinestern

that's a great guess - that it wasn't a drop in voters but their spreading due to a sudden influx of designers. Hrm.

againstbound
againstbound profile pic Alumni

This seems to coincide with when they opened the floodgates and started letting lots of sub-par designs go thoruh, to extend the customer base or whatever. I'm guessing that a lot of the regular voters back then got fed up with the huge decline in quality and just stopped voting (as I did).

I posted this blog regarding the issue right around the time your graph shows your decline in voting numbers, I bet there's a correlation.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

crowdsourcing exploded. suddenly you had to vote for everything everywhere. people got sick of it.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

I agree Hector - I used to vote everything but stopped due to getting tired of trawling through shit and never picked it up again - maybe a lot more people did.

taz-pie

yeah i stopped voting round about then too

Gar0
Gar0 profile pic Alumni

Trying to spread your customer base in the depth of a global recession seems like a pretty sound business move to me.

againstbound

Of course it is, and I understand completely, but still, they fucked up the votes (as I fucked my tenses up there).

SJ27

I don't think they started letting crap in, it's just the website got more popular but the field of competent graphic designers and artists is finite so more crap got submitted. It's about them not raising the standards rather than lowering the standard. There was some truly woeful shit being accepted early on.

Gar0
Gar0 profile pic Alumni

haha...I respect the commitment to your cause.

againstbound

I'm guessing that at the beginning they accepted pretty much anything, beggars can't be choosers and all that; but we're talking about a time when they were already well established.

And yes, they did lower the standards, I voted on everything back then and had been doing so for a good while and I remember, remember that fucking november.

taz-pie

exhibit A from 100 years ago. i always remember this design:

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

i think they're kind of obliged to approve any old shit though, especially from noobs. if a new person joins the site all excited to be involved and you decline their efforts they get pissed off and whine about it and don't return to shop. it does make voting a fucking chore though.

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

forget about the voters, the burning question is: where did you get that graph and data?

celandinestern

I think it's improved a hundred times now from a few weeks back when we had 1200 entries in the voting at any given time. We whined and Rachel listened and they've really pressed down again. Now with 400-500 in the running I'm finding it ok.

Manupix

where did you get that graph and data? From his own subbed designs, I guess.

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

Oh, a data pool of 1. My inner scientist can not accept that.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Haha, yeah that's my own subs' graph - I got graphs for a bunch of stats from my own designs because I'm a big nerd.

jstumpenhorst
jstumpenhorst profile pic Alumni

Create another graph that compares the increase in users on Facebook and Twitter during that same time period if you can find that information.

No account?
Join Us