Close
One second...

cheeky chat about other shirt sites

this might be a bit cheeky but i was hoping to have a bit of a yak about other shirt sites. I pretty much submit solely to threadless because i know it and i like it and i'm too lazy to try get involved elsewhere, but i'm sitting on a few designs that are either past their 90 days or i just don't think would do well here and I don't know where to begin.
the only other site i've even vaguely dabbled in is Design By Humans and without much success at all but I'd like to change that. I know a good few people on here are successful elsewhere - i hear DBH and woot come up a lot but it all feels a bit like unchartered territory and I'm a little hesitant to get my feet wet.

so I'd like to hear a bit about what other sites you've used, what you think of them and what you'd reccommend? Are you more successful elsewhere than here and if so why do you think that is - is it your style, is it your presence or are you just damn awesome everywhere!

SITE BREAKDOWNS - with mucho mego thanks to Mantichore

DesignByHumans:

overall style: graphic, bold, lots of big prints
submission: two 640*480 images
templates: http://cdn.designbyhumans.com/downloads/designguide/dbh_all.zip
contests: yes
voting period: 90 days
limitations: max 10 colors, all-over and belt printing max 4 colors, designs stay property 90 days after submission
cash:
Shirt Of The Day = $1000 and 6 shirts with your design
Rock Star Award = $500 extra at 1000, 2000 and 3000 t-shirt benchmark $1000 extra at 5,000 t-shirt benchmark $2,500 extra at 10,000 t-shirt benchmark
Positive: willing to take chances with crazier styles
Negative: generally don't print a lot of jokes and puns

Lafraise:

overall style: cute and cartoony, lots of colourful illustrations
submission: one 1000x1000 JPG
templates: http://www.lafraise.com/Public/Media/lafraise/docs/FR_template_2012eps.zip http://cache.spreadshirt.net/Public/Media/lafraise/docs/laFraise_Model_pics.zip
voting period: 7 days
limitations: submit max 2 designs per week, vector only (PANTONE© colours)
cash: €1000 + 2 shirts with your design, if the demand exceeds the limited print (500 shirts) you get €2.46 per shirt sold
Positive: 2 designs chosen every week, you can resubmit designs several times
Negative: selection can depend on the week when you submit (if there are lots of designs with high votes it's tougher to get picked)

Jinx:

overall style: Geeks and Gamers
submission: 72 dpi 900533 JPG/GIF/PNG + 150150 GIF thumbnail
templates: http://www.jinx.com/Content/Contest/Tshirt_Submission_Kit.zip
voting period: ?
limitations: designs stay property 30 days after submission, The winner of any contest will not be eligible to enter a submission into subsequent contests that start within 60 days following the announcement of the previous winning entry
cash: up to $750 + $250 Gift Certificate
Positive: super active community, lots of feedback
Negative: ?

Woot:

overall style: funny, nerdy, pop-culture, mostly graphic/simple illustrations
submission: contact via mail
templates: no
contests: yes (Derby)
voting period: one week (Derby only)
limitations: exclusive contract = property of Woot, less-exclusive contract= property of Woot for 1 year
cash:
exclusive contract: $1000 + $2 per shirt sold at retail price. If it gets printed on other media max $2 per printed item
less-exclusive contract: $500 + $1 per shirt sold at retail price. If it gets printed on other media max $2 per printed item
Positive: if your shirt has succes, you can earn a lot of money
Negative: user un-friendly, hard to get picked

TeeFury:

overall style: pop-culture, geeky, parodies, also a lot of designs with slogans/text
submission: 640 x 800 (below 500kB)
templates: http://www.teefury.com/forum/6403/Mock_Up_Shirt___Color_Chart
contests: no
voting period: 1 day
limitations: limited to 6 colors, front chest location with a maximum size of 15 x 19 inches
cash: $1 per shirt sold
Positive: artist retains full rights to their design.
Negative: don't respond if they are not interested

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 6
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
Letter_Q

If they want to print your design, they usually mail you a week after scoring is finished. If you didnt get any email, I guess they passed on that, and your are free to do whatever you want with your design... I would drop a mail to them tho, they are really nice and will let you know asap..

Ian-S
Ian-S profile pic Alumni

Thanks Letter_Q. Not quite a week yet so fingers crossed!

Letter_Q

anytime!

Ian-S
Ian-S profile pic Alumni

Another question occurs to me. Do all the main sites. I.e. Woot, DBH, Pampling, La Fraise, TeeFury etc have staff to handle color sep, because I've doing that myself. I've never took the time to ask before for fear of sounding like a total plum!

Montro
Montro profile pic Alumni

Ste7en, congrats on your Modern Myths, it's doing really well! I'm sure you're making a killing! (same goes for Wences!).

Random question- In your experience, does woot ever print front/back designs?

kevlar51
Montro said:

Ste7en, congrats on your Modern Myths, it's doing really well! I'm sure you're making a killing! (same goes for Wences!).

Random question- In your experience, does woot ever print front/back designs?

They have had some successful front/back daily prints, but won't do it for derby entries.

Letter_Q
Ian-S said:

Another question occurs to me. Do all the main sites. I.e. Woot, DBH, Pampling, La Fraise, TeeFury etc have staff to handle color sep, because I've doing that myself. I've never took the time to ask before for fear of sounding like a total plum!

WOOT and PAMPLING ask for hi-res files with separated colors, one per layer. LAFRAISE ask for separated colors, on per layer, solid pantone, and vector. TEEFURY dont ask for separated colors, you can send them the design in one single layer, just not flatten with the background color of course. DBH - dunno, never been printed over there...

Montro
Montro profile pic Alumni
Letter_Q said:

Mondern Myths is awesome indeed!!

@Montro http://shirt.woot.com/offers/the-cheese-is-a-liederkranz

Hilarious! I love it. So forgive me if this is an intrusive question but I am wondering what is your most successful woot tee (I see you have several) and how much $ did you ultimately get for it?

Ian-S
Ian-S profile pic Alumni

Thank you again Letter_Q for your insight. You're like the Yoda of the tee world!

Letter_Q
Ian-S said:

Thank you again Letter_Q for your insight. You're like the Yoda of the tee world!

WOW... not really!! I've got just something like 25 designs printed around the net, there are people with more than 150!!!!

Letter_Q
Montro said:
Letter_Q said:

Mondern Myths is awesome indeed!!

@Montro http://shirt.woot.com/offers/the-cheese-is-a-liederkranz

Hilarious! I love it. So forgive me if this is an intrusive question but I am wondering what is your most successful woot tee (I see you have several) and how much $ did you ultimately get for it?

I've been printed just 3 times on Woot, last time 2 days ago...

The first 2 prints brought me like 1250 $ each, 1000$ for the basic contract (wich basically covers the very first day of sales) and 250$ for the rest of shirts sold during the week when the shirt was in the chart... The thing is that they both didnt sell too well, and lasted in the chart for just one week...

Looks like the last one (http://shirt.woot.com/offers/nine-little-ponies) is selling a little bit better, so hopefully I'm gonna stay in the top 20 for a little bit more than just one week...

Basically, after the first day, you'll get 2$ per shirt sold during the following days... If your shirt keeps staying in the top 20 for a while, you can earn quite good money!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

done randyotter!

I've also got this DBH entry going peeps, I've never come close to cracking the dbh market, would like to improve on that one day

Ian-S
Ian-S profile pic Alumni

You both got my vote! Funny idea Randyotter. Super cool design digsy.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni

voted digsy and thanks guys!

thegoodpope
thegoodpope profile pic Alumni

Ok, so has anyone been approach by TeePublic.com? From the creators of Busted Tees? Thoughts? It sounds like S6 meets Kickstarter?

rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

I completely understand if the answer is no, but is there any point in trying our design somewhere else?

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

Do any of these other sites use simulated process - can you submit things that have photo textures etc?

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
thegoodpope said:

Ok, so has anyone been approach by TeePublic.com? From the creators of Busted Tees? Thoughts? It sounds like S6 meets Kickstarter?

I have. One is supposed to go up next week. Guess we'll find out what happens. From what I can tell though it turned into a video game shirt site real f'n fast.

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

20% Off guys and girls shirts HERE until April 24, 2013 CODE: #EMPOWERARTISTS

The girls shirts are hidden within the shirt designs. Look for the "W" under the Gender.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni
BeanePod said:
thegoodpope said:

I have. One is supposed to go up next week. Guess we'll find out what happens. From what I can tell though it turned into a video game shirt site real f'n fast.

This.

moosabman

Hey, Randyotter! How do you go about subbing your printed designs at LaFraise? Are your designs actually vector or do you trace them in AI if they are chosen? Or does LaFraise accept bitmap now too? There vector only policy really turned me off to the site, but I thought a lot of your stuff was bitmap.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
BeanePod said:
thegoodpope said:

I have. One is supposed to go up next week. Guess we'll find out what happens.

I'll try it out at some point too. I wouldn't really expect to get a lot of money from there but seems like a decent way to get some shirts out in the wild for people who want them. 30 preorders in 30 days doesn't sound too hard to achieve with a bit of marketing!

From what I can tell though it turned into a video game shirt site real f'n fast.

Popular culture turns out to be popular also in a popularity contest. Scientists are shocked.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Has anyone else noticed that for every derby event on woot, there is always the same bunch of five or six artists in the fog of war running every week. This week there are some amazing designs up by Randyotter and Radiomode but as always, the fog of war is filled with regular illustrators even though their images are very bland. Could there be a bit of favouritism going on there? me thinks there is.

Its disheartening because i was interested in maybe trying out a few designs there but for the last two months i have been watching it, it has been the same winners week in week out.

Anyone else agree or is it just me, because radiomode's design this week is fantastic!!!

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

I agree but there is bit of favoritism everywhere and I don't think people even do it on purpose, it's just the way people are, they always want the same thing and variations of the same thing because they are used to it and they feel comfortable with it. There is nothing wrong with that but I'm still waiting for that day when they will want something different, out of the box and not just same old same old, no matter how good it is...

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

i know right, its a great design and like you said the fog of war has some truly bland designs in there, same five people week in week out

moosabman

Thats really too bad. Quite a nice price this time too...

NCowick

So I'm trying to pick up my speed and quality with subbing. Two things which may not go hand in hand for me, lol. Anyway I took my first shot at a derby entry if you guys wouldn't mind swinging by.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I actually just got my first payment from my shirt that's up at TeePublic at the first of the month just like they would and have sold more since then so my account has started building back up.

Its pretty modest as far as money goes but it's nice to see your work appreciated. They actually liked it so much they funded half of it for me so they could start selling it earlier.

At least I'm not totally invisible.

ChrisDB
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I just signed up at teefury and DBH. Submitted this old threadless sub at teefury. I thought it kinda fit the style, I dunno. I aint afraid of no ghost

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

has anyone got printed at teefury? does anyone know how much a typical payout is?

i quite like that i can send to teefury and woot, then find out if they are interested or not. threadless has quite an intense waiting period.

i have basicly given up on dbh. i had some fondness for it as it was the first place i ever got printed and i still own some awesome shirts from there when it first started. but my stuff really doesnt fit in and i am not really into what they print nowadays.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

Teefury is good. I don't know what the typical payout is, but I made around $700 when I sold a shirt there. Plus you get all the rights back after the 24 hr sale is finished which is cool.

Letter_Q

Teefury is the strongest shirt-a-day site, I guess.

My best selling t-shirt made 3000$ there. but I know people who made more.

louisroskosch

$3000? thats a madness! thats what i needed to hear for sure to give me motivation to do more pop culture stuff.

a good thing about the pop culture stuff is that there are a lot of websites to sub to, sure you will only get a decent payout from a couple but its nice to have hope that you have a good chance to get something out of it..

i do love threadless but if a there is not a lot you can do with a threadlessy idea if it doesnt win here, other than put it up on society 6. its making me have some quality control with my threadless ideas. (thats probably a good thing)

louisroskosch

Q do you have any experience with ript? i have heard the name pop up a lot. seems like a voting one though, those are pretty low on my prioritys list.. guess i will lump it in the same pile as pampling. are either of those worth it?

aazari

I've not had any luck with any of the vote/curated sites so far. Nothing I've submitted anywhere has been picked or gotten enough votes to do anything. I just don't stand out in the crowd because my art's not something that's "in style" and my specialty is really fantasy art and not tee design, so it doesn't look good formatted for the limited color palettes. Plus I just don't have enough people who would vote for me to get me into a finals vote. I'm an unknown.

I much prefer sites like Zazzle and Cafe Press where there's no vote, they do most of the promotions, I pay nothing to start it up and I can offer the art on whatever merchandise I see fit to choose from their collections. The bonus is I keep the rights. However, those two sites usually will pull down a lot of the pop culture stuff for copyright infringement. But it you're doing your own stuff, they're great. I also like RedBubble even though they have limited items. It's a bit more "arty" in flavor with just a sprinkle of pop culture stuff.

Letter_Q

There are many other sites where you can sub non-pop stuff. Some of them pay very well, like Woot and LaFraise. They do print pop culture designs, but they print also different concepts, exactly like threadless... If you got some kind of 'artistic' or abstract style, you can try DesignByHumans, wich also pays well.

I've been printed by Ript just once, the design did ok, around 250$, but you can expect way more. Worth a try.

moosabman

how quickly does Woot contact you if you are a winner in the derby?

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

so has anyone had any experience with Bakso - UK bases company that I saw mentioned elsewhere on here. Curious if anyone has any feedback about them?

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

Where have you guys had success with non-pop culture designs?

El-Be

This is the most helpful thread I've read so far on threadless, thanks everyone. A couple of questions. How easy is it to be successful on s6 in terms of making sales? Do you need a ready made audience (because I don't have one)? Also, people have mentioned being approached by different sites that are interested in their work, were they found on here directly? Where is the best "shop window" to get designs noticed? Anyway, it seems my style fits best at DBH, so they can have most of my rejected threadless stuff, in fact I'm going to prepare a sub right now.

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

I have a personal opinion about J!NX. Some of you might have seen my post about them a couple months ago.

They seemed very unprofessional to me. They ask me for 4 design ideas and didn't really give me an idea of what they wanted. Every time I sent a design over, they said "We're not really looking for that type of design." but every time I asked what they DID want, they wouldn't tell me. 4 designs later and they said "Sorry this didn't work out." blah blah.

After all that, the guy tells me, "We don't seem to have a signed contract by you."

"What contract exactly? No one sent me anything to sign." They then sent me a confidentiality agreement. Apparently I wasn't supposed to tell anyone that they had asked me for designs, but there I was on the Threadless forums chatting about it! Their own fault.

The only positive thing about them is that they did pay me for trying. I won't be doing any business with them again, though.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

Jordan: That does sound odd and I can imagine how frustrating that would be. Thanks for the heads up.

El-Be: On Society6 I would say it is not easy but maybe that's just because I have 0 sales, lol. I feel like I missed the boat on that one and it's very difficult to get noticed.

El-Be

Just subbed to DBH, they accepted it within 3 hours. I won't hijack this thread by linking to it, but if anybody wants to check it out, let me know and I'll send you the link.

El-Be

Just subbed to DBH, they accepted it within 3 hours. I won't hijack this thread by linking to it, but if anybody wants to check it out, let me know and I'll send you the link.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Not entirely sure if this is the right place for this, but I just posted my second sub to DBH and I'm a little confused by the procedure. If you're DBHer (and Disgy doesn't mind) post your profile here and we can be buds!

Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 6
  3. 7
  4. 8
  5. 9
  6. 10
  7. 11
No account?
Join Us