Close
One second...

cheeky chat about other shirt sites

this might be a bit cheeky but i was hoping to have a bit of a yak about other shirt sites. I pretty much submit solely to threadless because i know it and i like it and i'm too lazy to try get involved elsewhere, but i'm sitting on a few designs that are either past their 90 days or i just don't think would do well here and I don't know where to begin.
the only other site i've even vaguely dabbled in is Design By Humans and without much success at all but I'd like to change that. I know a good few people on here are successful elsewhere - i hear DBH and woot come up a lot but it all feels a bit like unchartered territory and I'm a little hesitant to get my feet wet.

so I'd like to hear a bit about what other sites you've used, what you think of them and what you'd reccommend? Are you more successful elsewhere than here and if so why do you think that is - is it your style, is it your presence or are you just damn awesome everywhere!

SITE BREAKDOWNS - with mucho mego thanks to Mantichore

DesignByHumans:

overall style: graphic, bold, lots of big prints
submission: two 640*480 images
templates: http://cdn.designbyhumans.com/downloads/designguide/dbh_all.zip
contests: yes
voting period: 90 days
limitations: max 10 colors, all-over and belt printing max 4 colors, designs stay property 90 days after submission
cash:
Shirt Of The Day = $1000 and 6 shirts with your design
Rock Star Award = $500 extra at 1000, 2000 and 3000 t-shirt benchmark $1000 extra at 5,000 t-shirt benchmark $2,500 extra at 10,000 t-shirt benchmark
Positive: willing to take chances with crazier styles
Negative: generally don't print a lot of jokes and puns

Lafraise:

overall style: cute and cartoony, lots of colourful illustrations
submission: one 1000x1000 JPG
templates: http://www.lafraise.com/Public/Media/lafraise/docs/FR_template_2012eps.zip http://cache.spreadshirt.net/Public/Media/lafraise/docs/laFraise_Model_pics.zip
voting period: 7 days
limitations: submit max 2 designs per week, vector only (PANTONE© colours)
cash: €1000 + 2 shirts with your design, if the demand exceeds the limited print (500 shirts) you get €2.46 per shirt sold
Positive: 2 designs chosen every week, you can resubmit designs several times
Negative: selection can depend on the week when you submit (if there are lots of designs with high votes it's tougher to get picked)

Jinx:

overall style: Geeks and Gamers
submission: 72 dpi 900533 JPG/GIF/PNG + 150150 GIF thumbnail
templates: http://www.jinx.com/Content/Contest/Tshirt_Submission_Kit.zip
voting period: ?
limitations: designs stay property 30 days after submission, The winner of any contest will not be eligible to enter a submission into subsequent contests that start within 60 days following the announcement of the previous winning entry
cash: up to $750 + $250 Gift Certificate
Positive: super active community, lots of feedback
Negative: ?

Woot:

overall style: funny, nerdy, pop-culture, mostly graphic/simple illustrations
submission: contact via mail
templates: no
contests: yes (Derby)
voting period: one week (Derby only)
limitations: exclusive contract = property of Woot, less-exclusive contract= property of Woot for 1 year
cash:
exclusive contract: $1000 + $2 per shirt sold at retail price. If it gets printed on other media max $2 per printed item
less-exclusive contract: $500 + $1 per shirt sold at retail price. If it gets printed on other media max $2 per printed item
Positive: if your shirt has succes, you can earn a lot of money
Negative: user un-friendly, hard to get picked

TeeFury:

overall style: pop-culture, geeky, parodies, also a lot of designs with slogans/text
submission: 640 x 800 (below 500kB)
templates: http://www.teefury.com/forum/6403/Mock_Up_Shirt___Color_Chart
contests: no
voting period: 1 day
limitations: limited to 6 colors, front chest location with a maximum size of 15 x 19 inches
cash: $1 per shirt sold
Positive: artist retains full rights to their design.
Negative: don't respond if they are not interested

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. ... 11
bscott01

I want to know this answer too

Ste7en

DBH- 5 prints- I dig that they are willing to take chances with crazier styles, and more technically impressive prints, even if they don't always succeed

Woot- I have a lot of prints there, but only 1 derby win. A lot of that is about consistency, getting work done quickly (the day after the theme is announced) and building a following. Take a look at their derby winners and ask yourself if you can do that stuff (they love cutesy animals and star wars references).

Jinx- I have subbed a few times there, was the 2nd printed artist there...they have a super active community, so you can get a lot of feedback and views if you have stuff that fits their audience. With a huge geek/internet savvy culture you inevitably get a lot of trolls, but for the most part theres a lot of great feedback to be had and enthusiasm for the culture.

opifan64

I sold a design to Tee Fury that didn't get picked up here. I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I made, especially since it was only a 24 hour sale. I like that you keep all the rights to your design after the sale and can even sell t-shirts on sites like society6.

I had a few prints on Design by Humans early on when they just started out. I haven't submitted anything there in a long time. The prevailing aesthetic there now doesn't really come naturally to me.

eQuivalent

maybe you can get the information some other shirt sites in here

digsy

I used to read that site a lot, but I was hoping to get user feedback as opposed to facts. Getting printed elsewhere... Do you guys feel that a presence on that sight helps? One of the things holding me back from subbing all over the place is that I just don't have the time/energy to spend a lot of time on other sites as well as here. Getting feedback and keeping discussions going is hard enough already, I don't thinkin could go it at three places simultaneously!

quick-brown-fox
6 designs submitted - Score now!

Thanks for starting this blog, I was always afraid to ask. I have a shed load of designs that did okay and will never get picked up here.

digsy

I like lafraise although I've only subbed there once and in hindsight it wasn't their style so was a bit wasted. I've never understood woot personally, I get confused every time I go there. Has any used ript lately - are they doing well enough/selling enough shirts to make them worthwhile?

ArTrOcItY
1 design submitted - Score now!

You have nothing to lose if you put your designs somewhere else, it's better to do that then just have them ''collect dust''... Before I was printed here, I had a design printed on DBH and it was in top sold shirts for a long time, after that they don't seem to like me anymore but I still submit there because you never know. I did try my luck on many other sites and still trying, some have contacted me because they've seen my art as Tilteed. I did submit to Teefury and Shirtwoot in past also but it's really hard to get picked, at least for me but that never stopped me from trying.

Moral of the story-try somewhere else, Threadless will always be number one but that doesn't mean you can't try your luck elsewhere!

Bramish

DBH - 2 prints - one that couldn't have been printed here because of print size restrictions back in the day, but got me shirt of the week there, and one that scored 2.9ish here but was passed up. Haven't subbed anything there in a long time - they like their big, all over prints though and generally don't print a lot of jokes and puns.

WOOT - 3 prints - one where they made first contact and two I sent to them after they weren't picked up here having scored around 2.4. They all sold miserably, but if you can get something popular you can make a fuckload of money from it. They actually approached me about Medium Difficulty, which I reckon would have done really well there, but I felt an obligation to Threadless since it was subbed here first.

TeeFury - I've 2 prints there (I think). One sold about 40 copies, and made me $100. The 2nd one made me about $700. They both failed miserably here.

Everything I ever subbed to LaFraise was rejected and didn't even get to voting, so I've pretty much given up there.

None of that is terribly informative though, sorry.

digsy

that was really informative Bramish thanks. It's been a while since I looked at a lot of these sites so that kind of info is really helpful. I've only had one piece which I thought might have been more a DBH style, but it kinda tanked there so i'm a little hesitant to go that route again. i don't want to tie my stuff up into really long contracts if i don't think they're going to do well - I'd rather offer it somewhere else where it won't be out of my reach for so long and may have a shot.

those of you who use woot - do you go derby or print of the day normally?

ArTrOcItY

I go both, derby and daily, both very unsuccessfully but who cares as long as I'm trying, right?!

Also, for example, just recently I asked DBH to take down one of my designs because somebody else wanted to buy it right away so if you are worried about long term contracts, you can always do that so again you have nothing to lose!

digsy

thanks artocity - really helpful. just curious, when you've submitted to woot have you gone with the exclusive or less exclusive contract? I'm thinking the exclusive seems like a better bet but i wonder if i'm missing something....

ArTrOcItY

Maybe somebody that got printed there knows better but I went with exclusive, it does seem more money but I may be wrong.

Ste7en

I've always gone with the exclusive...lose the rights, but I dont have the means to produce anything I sell them as other stuff anyway, and now that their contract doesn't state first day sale limits its harder to get commission unless you have a mega hit on your hands, so the extra $500 is worth it. My 15th or 16th print there goes up for sale in 5 days...im hoping its a hit...I need the cash.

digsy

^^^ thats what i thought ste7en. Its not like i'm likely to make a lot of money off it elsewhere to warrant being at least $500 and then another $1 a shirt down. if they want it, they can have it and do whatever the feel like with it, suits me!

Farnell

Goodfibres - new London based company, seem pretty cool but early days, but don't print very often though.

T-shirt store - I have a shirt for sale in their stores and online, worth sending stuff in to be reviewed. Material quality is awesome.

mirisch

Like Morkki said lafraise is a french communitybased T-Shirt thing and Monsieur Poulet is similar to lafraise: They are turning their website in englisch now! Monsieur Poulet

Wharton
3 designs submitted - Score now!

Wow this thread is great. I was beginning to wonder about using other sites but was unsure what was available. Having never been printed here I thought maybe some of my designs would be better suited elsewhere. I would always sub to Threadless first I think, but its good to have options. Do the other sites have distinct styles they go for?

Ste7en

DBH is much more about the experimental, big artsy stuff, woot focuses on cutesy, funny, cartoony stuff (at least their audience does), jinx is all about geek and gamer culture, teefury is pop references- style isnt a big focus, just content (they love fake products)

Ste7en

huge run-on sentence

digsy

awesome info ste7en thanks

i sent a couple in to woot today - the one i thought they would like they rejected outright, the other they'll discuss next week and let me know so maybe something will come out of that.

digsy

so i got turned down by woot - not massively surprising but still disappointing and I'm waiting to hear back from teefury.
i have given la friase a go though

celandinestern

so wait, you just send stuff to woot and they decide, it doesn't go through voting?

Letter_Q

Hey Digsy just voted on your sub at Lafraise. Awesome stuff. Best of luck!

digsy

only the derby stuff goes through voting as far as i know

thanks Q!

Ste7en

3 days a week woot designs come from their ongoing derby, 4 days a week are from submissions sent through their shirt.woot/artists page

Pez Banana

i must have severe ADD, but i can't seem to understand HOW woot works. i don't see any FAQ or how-to...

do they sell your shirt for one day only, as fury does?

how much per shirt sold do you get paid?

Woot seems so user-unfriendly IMO.

Ste7en

Its relatively simple:

You get $1000 up front for first day sales, you make no commission on first day sales.

For the next 2 weeks your shirt's price goes up to $15 (from $12), it's moved to it's own page and you make $2 a shirt sold for a minimum of 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks if your shirt isn't in the top 20 it will no longer be sold. If it is, it lives on to sell for another week and the process repeats. Some people have made over $100,000 on a single shirt.

rskinner1122
2 designs submitted - Score now!

question. I have a few designs here that I would love to put in woot or tee fury. ( just to see) I was wondering if I have to ask to take it of my designs on threadless before I put it on another site??

citizen rifferson

if the design isn't chosen after 90 days you can put designs up on other sites, it can still be on threadless though so don't bother asking them to take it down.

I had a brief stint on DBH, but I can't really see myself going back there, plus I don't like the 90 day voting period (short attention span)..I can definitely see myself putting stuff on monsier poulet once the English version is up, I like a lot of their shirts, and I think some of my designs would be more suited on that site.

Pez Banana

thanks, Ste7en!

i found a woot FAQ. But is seems like the "daily tee" submissions are only open to previously printed tee designers.

Or do they mean just "experienced" designers in a general sense?

From the FAQ:

Can I design a t-shirt ...?

If you're one of those experienced, talented t-shirt designers we were talking about, contact us at artists@...... Tell us about your previous design experience, and include some samples of your work.

and then there's this one:

What if I have an idea for a t-shirt, but no previous design experience?

The Derby is calling your name. That's our weekly design competition, where users submit their own design ideas to a public vote, and we produce and sell the three most popular designs.

So what exactly do they mean by "experience"?

digsy

I never read that much into it and have just sent them an email with a new design every now and then. granted I haven't been printed there so maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I took "expereienced" to be a bit more general

digsy

I never read that much into it and have just sent them an email with a new design every now and then. granted I haven't been printed there so maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I took "expereienced" to be a bit more general

digsy

digsy

what the hell?!?

Pez Banana

haha! i hope they include edit and delete tools when they relaunch the site. Also the "quote" tool, very useful.

Yeah i thought they meant experience in a general way but they're not clear about it, and the first answer does mention "experienced, talented t-shirt designers", so who knows?

I think woot would be very restrictive and elite if they would only accept designers with T-SHIRT experience. Of the 3 main tee sites, they seem the most strict, and fury seems to have very low standards regarding style and execution.

Ste7en

anyone thats talented can submit through the daily submission page...dont email them anymore its less effective...they make a decision within 2 weeks if you use the form...its all swift

Wharton

Have you had any success with the others sites Digsy?

digsy

teefury didn't respond and woot rejected my daily submission (one outright and the other after review) i have a design on la friase at the moment which has done pretty well - finishes today so fingers crossed something will come of that. i'm a miserable failure at DBH it seems, not certain i'm their style so may not head that way too often. and i haven't really looked much further than that really - i got in touch with a local kids clothing company i'm pitching some stuff to at the moment so i'm focusing on that currently.

so to answer your question - not really!

digsy

why can't i spell la fraise right first time round!

Wharton

Well it sounds like somethings happening, I'm just looking at Woot now although I'm finding it a bit difficult to figure out the process. I'm going to check out teefury too. It feels weird to take my Threadless subs elsewhere, I always wanted them to print here.

digsy

woot is actually one of the reasons I started this blog - I've always found them particularly confusing. That said, I think it's been explained as best as possible somewhere in this blog

celandinestern

I want to try these things but sort of feel defeated in advance. Also I wouldn't know which pieces to sub. Also they all need cleaning up and shit. crawls under a rock and falls asleep

Wharton

Just keep refreshing the blog page that'll make you feel better

;)

Musarter

Thanks Digsy for starting this. And thank you everyone else, specifically Ste7en, for your feedback and information.

I have thought about submitting elsewhere but never have. I will watch and read through this blog to consider my future options.

Ste7en

no problemo- just came in 4th in the woot derby :'( sooo close to $1000

digsy

aw, thats a shame ste7ev - so close! good luck for the next one - I'm waiting on a woot derby that I feel i can churn something out in a day for!

bottleHeD

If you have a lot of pop-culture stuff, Teefury is your place, with Ript and Qwertee as a second choice.

Wharton

I just subbed three pieces to woot (is it me or do they seem a bit off? All their copy has 'attitude'). I also looked at teefury and after a while I realised that none of my work has pop-culture references and I feel like perhaps thats why none of my work gets picked up or printed. Is pop-culture and cute the main currency in t-shirt sites do you think?

Slightly depressing digression I know my work isn't super awesome and I'm not trying to reverse psychology people into compliments but I think I'm catching 'I'll-never-get-printed-itus. I'm going to try an mix up my style for the next few subs.

Sorry for sidelining this thread.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9
  10. ... 11