Close
One second...

We're removing 40,000 t-shirts from our inventory today

• by skaw
  • posted Mar 21, 2012
  • 124 Comments

Late last year we discovered that one of our suppliers was manufacturing blank t-shirts that were not up to our standards. We immediately stopped printing on those garments and ramped up our production on a much higher quality blank tee.

We have been working to figure out what to do with the affected inventory (it had been placed in our clearance section). Yesterday we discovered there are 40,000 affected units in our current inventory. Today we have made the decision to completely pull those down off our site and out of our warehouse.

Going forward, rest assured that creating a high quality product is a top priority for us. You only deserve the best! In addition to the better blank we are currently printing on, we are also working to produce a Threadless custom tee with our own fabric weight and cut specifications as well as a rigorous quality control process. Expect more news on that in the coming months.

If you've had issues with our t-shirt quality in the past and are skeptical about giving us another try, we'd love to prove it to you by involving you in the development of our custom tee. The first 5,000 people to sign up here will receive one for free when it's time to share.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
reags
reags profile pic Alumni

Real excited by this news as I've received a few shockers in the past!

danqueca

The only complaint that i have is that the site make it easy to pirate the designs, just put some kind of watermark to the images, so people cant make their own shirts, Im tired of seeing my threadless designs in some random store, with other brand

Juanprix

So the tee´s I just bought yesterday are defective???

crazymonkeyness

O: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IS THIS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE?! IT"S BEEN A LONG TIME COMING... But thank youuuuuuuuu Threadless!

shirtflirt

waht if i have like 5 people living in my house can i fill the form out for them too?

i SWEAR they're 'real' people, too

stubby43

Whats going to happen to the 40,000 tee's you pulled?

astro_ng

Sounds good, I've had a few shirts where after the first/second wash the print looked like it had gone through the wash over 20+ times already.

I still love you though, I just bought another 10 tees :)

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

excellent. i hope the dead shirts go to charity or something.

LeeLau

Good call. My main concern is that I wish the Ts were longer because they shrink.

rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

Really interested to see what you guys do.

Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

exactly what I was thinking Leon.

valorandvellum
valorandvellum profile pic Alumni

Awesome!! I'm going to sign up for this.

Robsoul
Robsoul profile pic Alumni

I live in Oceanside, CA.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

This makes me happy. I also hope that the shirts go to charity in some way. :-D

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

Very good ;D

the czar

About time

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

give the shirts to the 1%!!!

SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

cool

dandingeroz
dandingeroz profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

awesome!!!!!!

Perplexingme

Are any of the shirts purchased in the last few days part of the "bad batch"? I bought 5 shirts from the $9.99 sale.

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Filed my complain. Not all of the t-shirts are bad. They are just inconsistent IMO. I believe Threadless was sourcing from several countries, thus the inconsistency. I wish I am the first 5000 to get their hands on the new tee.

Kookaberry
Kookaberry profile pic Alumni

Yay, my bitching paid off!

Braniel

Really great decision, integrity pays off! :) SO many shirts! I'm excited to see what you've got planned:) Just don't send them to the island of misfit tees . . . sorry bad joke :) classy

EricaTheRed
EricaTheRed profile pic Alumni

great news!

dannodepf

I have been kinda absent lately, but I specifically came on to find this post and say how awesome this is!

For some reason, my neck has continued to stretch out on threadless shirts. I think it's why I stopped purchasing shirts. They also shrunk vertically (from neck to stomach). I started washing shirts, but not drying them to prevent shrinking, which was irritating. I soon gave up, and just let the neck stretch out and the rest shrink up. I have a closet full of shirts with designs I love, that don't fit right anymore. I hope your NEW shirt-style design "fits the bill."

On another note, I hope threadless never goes away! This is true customer service! You guys ALWAYS listen to us and try to make us happy!

I proposed on Facebook, that you don't just toss the shirts, but find a good cause to donate them to. I designed last years Bloomsday t-shirts in Spokane, WA. I've heard when they have excess shirts they send the extras to impoverished communities(they print approximately 60,000 a year and are usually off on the final amount of runners/walkers).

dannodepf

PLUS! TAX write-offffff!!!!! lol.

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

YES!! great to know you've been listening to the feedback! If shirt quality goes up again I'll definitely start rebuying :)

alan.close

Great news. a bit disappointed that i ordered some $4.99 T's along with some regular priced ones not knowing that they were the defective ones.

It will be great to have guaranteed quality, its always annoying to get shirts that weren't that great knowing it wasn't practical to ship them back from Ireland.

diplopoda

QUOTE: "This is true customer service!"

I don't think that is customer service! Customer service is when you don't ship T-Shirts in bad quality when you know they are bad quality!

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni
5 designs submitted - Score now!

I got an XL tee around the time of the Halloween mystery tees. That was a great fit, nice and long. I heard there were problems after that point in time, so I'm glad that Threadless has sorted that out!

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

wrecks brain over 40.000 shirts needing a useful second life rather than landing on the trash being an environmental burden

corey9

nice!

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

That's nice of you - I put my girl's details in since for some reason her girly shirts have been for the most part consistent in size.

timinmelb

Wise wise move Jake. I commend you heartily and will remain a customer!! And hey, looks like a damn fine response from the punters too. Make it even more awesome by either recycling or donating to those who can use tees or fabric to make their lives better. Next time just don't sell us stuff you know is shoddy. Chances are I don't think you will. Bravo!!

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

There's a couple of great things do to with shirts

Also, how about a Keep all you can wear kind of contest at the meetup? Wear as many threadless shirts at one time and keep as many as you can, with a minimun amount of at least 20 shirts on at the same time ( to keep people from trying on 2 or 3 shirts in order to win a few shirts easily ). Teams of 3 or 4 people required as well. one person to wear the shirts another 2 or 3 to help put them on.

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

@soloyo both great ideas! We are working on doing something like your first link there in a really big way at Gap stores.

We also have channels for donating and liquidating. Don't worry, nothing will be thrown away.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

jake is gonna attempt to eat all 40,000 shirts and break a world record

Johnny Baboon
Johnny Baboon profile pic Alumni

awesome. i support this

free_agent08

Lets Support! I think customers choice of ordering in a different fabric makes them self comfortable wearing it, because there is different weather in different parts of the world that loves threadless.

reags
reags profile pic Alumni

The charity idea is brilliant - would love to see these go to people that really need them!

jstumpenhorst
jstumpenhorst profile pic Alumni

I would really love to be a part of this. I have easily bought 250-300 Threadless tees since I joined Threadless and over the past 2 years I have barely bought anything because of a fear of getting a shirt that doesn't fit right or that I can only wear once. I LOVE Threadless and the Tees that they make and I want so badly to be buying them again. Anything I can do to help in the process I will do. I am not just looking for a free handout either. I truly want you guys to be the best.

Jared ;)

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

can you make a shirt that doesn't stain when I spill wine on it? big problem here.

Ilya Yavnoshan
Ilya Yavnoshan profile pic Alumni

250-300? wow, I don't own that many hangers.

agerstrand

excited for reprints in a better cut! i've been seeing a trend in people moving away from the paper thin AA BLANKS for durability-- i like shirts that have a "modern cut" but still feel soft and are ultra durable. Stussy's blank shirt is very nice - also surprising to me alstyle has a nice shirt with their 5301.

good luck bros!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us