Close
One second...

Threadless 2007 VS. Threadless 2012

In May of 2007 I screen grabbed the Threadless home page when my design, Adorable Disaster got printed. At that time, if you were lucky enough to be printed, your design and name basked in the spotlight for a solid week. It was a pretty amazing feeling. The product photos were a lot of fun too.

Flash forward to March 2012. Here's the current Threadless home page:

My new design, Happy Birds was printed on Monday. That design is represented on the main page as a small square of cropped artwork in the lower right corner, next to some of the other new prints. You have a few seconds to click on the design, before all of the new designs slide off the screen, revealing a totally different Threadless feature.

I'm not going to try to convince Threadless to go back to the old days, but dang it, getting printed back in the day was way, way, way more exciting. Am I right? Or am I right?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

you are right but... changes are coming soon. maybe the front page will be one of them.

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

I hope so, xiv!

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

we're going through changes!

jstumpenhorst
jstumpenhorst profile pic Alumni

You are 100% correct Andyg.

I am on lunch break so I don't have much time to add some other thoughts but hopefully I will do so later.

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

I agree with everything andyg ever says ever

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

I love your birds design, by the way.

davidfromdallas
davidfromdallas profile pic Alumni

Right there with you, man - and big congrats on your print! Fingers crossed that you'll be selected as a MADE artist soon...

shirtflirt

i can't believe it's not butter.

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

i agree with this. ALSO, having a link to the artists' website when you click their name, as opposed to linking to their threadless profile.

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

Winning back then felt like a party...they got all dressed up in your shirts and took fun photos, had themes sometimes....your name was in lights for all of broadway to see...IT WAS CLASSIC THREADLESS

Chipmnk

I remember when someone said that the new site design would arrive "in two weeks".

That was at least a week before Winebocon.

jillustration
jillustration profile pic Alumni

yes, I liked it better when the winning designs were on the front page also.

Daviisilva

Didn't know how cool the site was back in 2007!

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

2007 didn't have enough andyg

Outlaw01

back in the day

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I concur, you were on top of the shirt designing world for a week back then, and your shirt got a chance to be viewed and talked about enough that it might join the ranks of the Threadless iconic tees. It gets harder and harder to become part of that group because the shirts aren't given enough time to be focused and reflected on.

It's the same as voting used to be in 2007. There were about 50-75 new designs put up for voting a day, so the whole week was under 300. Now you have 300 designs a day sometimes, with close to or over 1,000 to plow through if you wanna even try to maintain seeing all the art flowing through this site. So you can't stop and admire all the amazing details of every single fantastic piece of art the way you used to.

FRICKINAWESOME

I also miss super creative and unique pictures for ever tee.

Ste7en

speaking of: there's 1,098 designs up for voting right now, that I haven't scored

jillustration
jillustration profile pic Alumni

speaking of: there's 1,098 designs up for voting right now, that I haven't scored

i kinda wish threadstaff would actually reject some that would never print so that i don't have to slog through all the nonsense. I never vote anymore because of that.

Ste7en

yeah, they need a new "sorry, but even if this scores really well we wont print it" rejection category

But back to the topic at hand, I think even if threadless has grown big, they can still go back to making it feel more personal without many major revisions to their design and process

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

Yeah, I agree that voting has become an overwhelming and frustrating experience these days. But that's a discussion for a totally different blog.

Twiggyhall

Well, and I joined in 2007 so, duh!

Threadless is all grows up

Ste7en

The new front page looks great for a company that is trying to sell some products, but threadless has always been about selling the dream of being a printed artist one day....the names, personalized product photos and front page focus went a long way toward that

taz-pie

i just checked my profile. i joined in 2005. i am such a loser/ awesome.

shirtflirt

why doesn't someone just create a blogspot for threadless printed designs ONLY so then there's a daily free advertisement of all the printed designs without the necessity of going into the forums and/or voting.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I think I got the worst product photos ever for my print

ir0cko
ir0cko profile pic Alumni

what becca said.

it was awesome how they allowed us to photoshop the remaining destinations, and people who didn't see the okay to do so were mad. haha

nickv47
nickv47 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I miss their little marketing campaigns (usually a home page treatment and a video) for new prints. Don't see much of that.

And the product shots aren't as fun as they used to be either.

Ste7en

everyone on the site used to get into product photos...I used to love street team photos and the real product photos

AND REMEMBER WHEN STREET TEAM PHOTOS COULD MAKE THE PRODUCT PAGE!? I had one for Nerd Bird...that was special

rhythmdev9

That sale was what brought me to the blogs.

littlem

andyg for president!!

littlem

i used to make congratulatory blogs back then.

now it's soooo hard to keep up!

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

yeah, there's no fanfare and job offers anymore like there used to be. just a stream of products.

littlem

on one hand, a lot more artists are winning, which is awesome.

on the other hand, you're right about it not feeling quite as special.

on my third hand, i can hardly wait to see all the new tweaks to the site!

jess4002
jess4002 profile pic Alumni

i miss it when they put the new tees on the front page. sometimes when i'm browsing the catalog i'm like "when on earth was this tee printed?!"

and yeah i think the home page for 2007 is kinda better than the one we have right now.

nintechno
nintechno profile pic Alumni

Way more fun.

Outlaw01

jess4002 on Mar 14 '12 at 5:59pm i miss it when they put the new tees on the front page. sometimes when i'm browsing the catalog i'm like "when on earth was this tee printed?!"

stubby43

The product pics were a lot more fun back in the day.

I liked them because these were cool and awesome people I wanted to hang out with, now its all about sales.

Manupix

Ste7en on Mar 14 '12 at 1:37pm The new front page looks great for a company that is trying to sell some products, but threadless has always been about selling the dream of being a printed artist one day. Word.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

I used to be able to recognize every Threadless print. Now... I'm surprised when I see stuff I've never seen and am like "Wtf, when did that print!?" I look at the newsletter every Monday, and I'm still out of the loop.

jublin
jublin profile pic Alumni

Actually I think this week is one of the rare times that the new shirts ARE actually on the first slide. The first slide is usually someone about a sale or discount shipping and the 2nd or 3rd slide mentions new shirts. But even then they usually just grab one of the new designs to represent the entire week's worth of new prints.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

what this girl said ^

evan3
evan3 profile pic Alumni

i miss old threadless

wullagaru
wullagaru profile pic Alumni

yeah I havent been back to look at that part of the site in a while .. hell I havent bought a shirt in probably 2 years now.. nothings grabbing me like it used to

FRICKINAWESOME

I'd love the Made By line to feature one multi-printed amazing artist alongside an unprinted person who should have had 5-7 prints by now anyway, and suddenly they have them. It's like the ultimate company apology for making them wait so long :)

Ste7en

They don't owe anyone apologies.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?