Fancy

Watch this
Innovator_Gator

A new version of one that I had on here a while ago... Here we have a fancy lady done in the art nouveau style. Still loads of work to do on the hair... but I think for the most part I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far. Any thoughts???

toukee

I love it! Why? Because it reminds me of Mucha and you probably know who he is if you studied Art Nouveau. I was planning on doing my own Mucha Chick but you beat me to it! [shaking fist at you]

Keep working and adding whatever details. I personally will like a deeper contrast...so make those dark parts darker. Again look at Mucha for inspiration. His chicks pieces look really dramatic.

Also I would like to see it outlined. That could add to the contrast I mentioned above. But that is up to you

And it that a ring on her finger? Shouldn't it be angled the other way?

I will do my best to keep track of your progress. Good Luck! Check out my WIP if you get a chance.

Innovator_Gator

I don't see how her ring is the wrong way... but I will have a long look at it to see if it looks at all wrong.

I actually don't know much about Nouveau, so I thought it would be a fun challenge for myself. So, thanks so much for the tips!

Innovator_Gator

Added more contrast to the background and hair. (Still loads of work to do to the hair)

honzathon

yeah, more hair. I like this style, I think, where the hair goes outside the circle, it should go right outside, maybe even curl around the frame a bit. It will break her out from her window a bit. I think what is confusing about the ring is that the rock on it is long and goes along the finger, it can be confused by a band that goes across the finger. I like the pinky!

Innovator_Gator

Thanks! Maybe Ill make it more of a square ring.... I was going for one of those nuckle length rings... but if it doesn't look right it doesn't look right... :)

toukee

I missed this last night. The hand is small, or at least it seems to be. You can easily find a picture to reference, or perhaps take a pic of yourself doing this pose and see the size of the hand in relation to the head. Also, think about circling the picture with her hair instead of having that ring around her. It might look better.

I just put up another new piece I'm working on!

Innovator_Gator

good catch on the small hand, you were absolutely correct. Any thoughts on a shoulder tattoo? kinda an old meets new thing? Or just keep it classic?

Innovator_Gator

Just testing an arm tat... added the black outline as previously requested... What do we say about loosing 'fancy'? I think this is the best font that I have... so.... yeah. Thoughts?

philgraydesign

looks great! yeah, the arm tat isn't sitting well on her arm, i don't think she needs it. i don't hate "fancy" but i think you could afford to lose it because the picture says it already; long tresses, flower in hair, drinking tea, pinkie raised = fancy.

toukee

Honestly I do like the idea of a tattoo to make the piece more contemporary but it will have to be something in the art nouveau style. I believe acanthus leaves were popular in that era and acanthus leaves are a pretty popular architecture design that are in tattoos. If you want to go for a tat then a wrist tat might be your best bet.

Someone mention Art Deco font...do Art Nouveau font, haha. You should draw it yourself. And using text is always iffy on here. But Mucha used text in his pieces.

The hand looks better and more proportioned compared to the head.

I personally am a fan of outlining so I do like it outlined. But don't break the line. For instance the chin, the flower and the rest of her arm and hair should be outlined. It seems thick to me but everyone tells me that my outlines are always thin, haha. So it might be fine.

Notice how Mucha does this outer ring, it's behind her and stylized and detailed.

toukee

well the hair is in front of the ring and draping over it.

morayven

I like the idea of the tattoo, although what the tattoo should be is debatable. toukee gave you some great advice and reference material regarding art nouveau - I'd follow that thread of thought. Have you considered making the circular frame her hair as opposed to a separate shape? I'd try to blend them together, much like Mucha blended his border elements. I think the proportions still need work, particularly the back of the shoulder/ base of the neck (which seems to be missing entirely). I'd drop the text unless you can make it an actual design element. The color combination is nice and I think you're making improvements with every revision. Keep at it!

I too have a critique up if you care to comment – thank you.

desertdandilion

I think it would be better without the word too.

Innovator_Gator

So does it look like the neck is too short instead of just covered by hair? I never considered it before, but looking at it now I'm thinking that could be true.

Innovator_Gator

Removed 'Fancy'.... added a more appropriate tattoo. Moved shoulder down a bit.

counting--stars

maybe take the outline off the smoke too.

Innovator_Gator

I was thinking that I'd take the stroke off the steam... but thought it wouldn't look consistant. I think I may go ahead and do that. Thanks. I

Innovator_Gator

Added detail to the cup and flower. Removed the stroke from the steam. Added black background because I was thinking of putting it on a black tank. Removed framing from tat.

Innovator_Gator

Made a couple of adjustments from the previous version. I think it's done. Agree???

bscott01

I love the art nouveau style of this. Great work I think you are more than ready to submit. Good luck

Please vote if you have a chance: !Here and here!

Also if you could critique my design I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Innovator_Gator

Soooo.... do we like the tat?? Should I remove it, change it, keep it as is???

Innovator_Gator

Changed the tat and thickened the shoulder a bit. Do we like the new tat, old tat, no tat?

Innovator_Gator

Changed the tat and thickened the shoulder a bit. Do we like the new tat, old tat, no tat?

Innovator_Gator

View version 9.... No idea why it made another blank version... Grrrr.

Innovator_Gator

Lol.... why didn't I think of knocking someones design, then turning around and asking for a critique?! Pure genius.

hugh mann

This is a strong image! I like version 6 the best. Personally, I don't think you need the text to communicate what your are communicating. I like it better when my attention doesn't go to the text. And by the way, in Hawaii, your model would be married because the flower is over her right ear...but most people wouldn't know that or care. Good luck on the voting!

Innovator_Gator

I love this soooo much I don't want to submit until I am confident with the tattoo. I think that every thing else is just about perfect. To me I feel that without the 'Fancy' it looks plain... kinda like clip art... but maybe that's just because I've looked at it so much. Any thoughts on the 2 versions of tattoos on this latest version and the one on 7 I would appreciate. Thanks alot everyone! :)

Innovator_Gator

Ok... I think I am completely happy with this version. I did decide to go ahead and remove 'Fancy'.... Changed the tat. I am going to submit this one now. Thanks to everyone who helped along the way!!!

No account?
Join Us