Close
One second...

THREADSTAFF -- Thoughts on Scoring

Threadstaff,

It may just be me, but at one point scoring tees was set to a randomizer right? Because now if you score a tee, no matter where in the queue that shirt was, for your next one you are taken to whatever the newest design is.

Which I guess is cool, but it seems like it gives designs a lot of traffic on day one—and then they just fall off. By day three your lucky if you get like 20 votes that day, not comments just votes. Designs are finishing with vote #'s in the high 300's low 400's, but they're hitting around 200 on the 2nd day...

Personally I liked it the way it was, you scored a tee and then the next one was just random, not whatever the most recent design up for scoring is.

And I think it's deterred some people from voting, case in point earlier this week there was an onslaught of pin-up designs because the contest was ending, after scoring 50 sub par looking women I gave up, I got bored scoring Love's designs but I still wanted to score.

You catch my drift?

Watch this
toopersent
toopersent profile pic Alumni

I 100% agree.

citizen rifferson
citizen rifferson profile pic Alumni

yeah, they really need to bring the randomizer back, it's such a hassle to get a decent amount of votes at the moment.

deep space monkey
deep space monkey profile pic Alumni

citizen rifferson on Feb 24 '12 at 12:12pm yeah, they really need to bring the randomizer back, it's such a hassle to get a decent amount of votes at the moment.

Amen brother.

And from a scoring standpoint I want random, more often than not I find myself just going to the forum and clicking on a design there, scoring that one and then repeating the process

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff

From experience I feel like it's always worked that way, you get tons of votes and comments etc the first day or two and then it dies out unless it's a popular design or it's advertised somewhere else etc

deep space monkey

alexmdc on Feb 24 '12 at 12:33pm From experience I feel like it's always worked that way, you get tons of votes and comments etc the first day or two and then it dies out unless it's a popular design or it's advertised somewhere else etc

I hear that, from a designer's point of view anyway.

I think as a voter though, it needs to get switched up

toopersent

more often than not I find myself just going to the forum and clicking on a design there

This is pretty much how I score things now, too. Probably why my numbers are so low.

toopersent

From experience I feel like it's always worked that way, you get tons of votes and comments etc the first day or two and then it dies out unless it's a popular design or it's advertised somewhere else etc

To be fair Alex, it probably seems more like that for you, since you are one of the most respected and talented people on this site. Once your designs go up, people flock to them because they know you. Just saying that maybe your viewpoint is skewed a bit.

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

Yeah - randomizer.

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

Yup, I miss the randomizer as well, I thought Threadless took it off because it was majorly slowing down the system, since a month or so ago when the million vote influx came through this place, that was when the randomizer first was switched off and hasn't been back since...although the scoring section is running a lot smoother now.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I miss the randomizer too, I was wondering why it wasn't working.

deep space monkey

YEAH! Bring back the shuffle

and... while we're at it(and I realize this isn't new news, and this could be being worked on as we speak), commenting while power scoring?

deep space monkey

AND JUST TO CLARIFY...

This has absolutely nothing to do with being an artist—STRICTLY AS A VOTER—I just used artist examples because that's what I know

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

I think the real problem with voting on here has always been that Threadless isn't strict enough with quality control. They need to raise the standards and have less designs up for scoring.

deep space monkey

yeah... that's a double edged sword...

you could potentially steer people away by rejecting a bunch of designs(although, you need persistence to become an artist—shit doesn't just click overnight )

also, think of the april fools shirts!

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

Yeah I've noticed the same thing.

[+duracell-]

They also need to be random to negate the effects of their position in queue. Cause say what if your awesome design gets sandwiched between a bunch of turds? The voter is sitting there going, "0...0...1...1....0...1...1...1...." And then your deservingly 5 design pops up. They're more likely to move up a few points to a 3 or 4 rather than a 5. It's pyschology man. While the effects appear minute, all that little shit adds up, and could mean the difference in the end.

Also, they really gotta fix the skip button. Because when a design pops up that I've already skipped.. well nothing really good comes from that.

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

apparently the randomizer was breaking their code or something

reags
reags profile pic Alumni

Well, I'm back after a hiatus and just powered through 800ish designs without realizing so I guess it makes sense with the randomizer slowing things down...fair point though I'd prefer scoring random subs rather than always the latest (though in this case it made no difference for me as I've been away).

sayahelmi
sayahelmi profile pic Alumni

agree bout this one

Adhesive Hippo

I think they took off the randomizor for people who do stuff like powerscore, so that the ones that will finish the soonest are the ones that show up first. That way you don't powerscore half of them and miss a lot because some of them end scoring the next day.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Except that is the exact opposite of what is happening. Powerscore or not, you see the newest designs first. So people who score only a handful of designs will never see the ones at the bottom of the stack.

mirisch

Maybe it should be the other way round, that the oldest design come first so you don't miss these. And every new design will be the oldest design after a few days. And you promote yourself a lot if designs are new so you get enough votes by that!

bottleHeD

Yeah, I vote for a return to randomizer. I normally have scoring open in two or three windows, different designs everywhere. Now I get the same design, and it's kind of irritating.

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

For me no different because I score all designs in the running. But if you make it 100 designs a day or 1000 designs a week would be great too. I'm a bit tried looking at all those unfinished designs and I was thinking to stop scoring many times as well.

pony23

I am all for random scoring!

[+duracell-] is totally right, having the predetermined order will mean some great designs get lower than their deserved scores while some that are not as good will be over scored just because of the design order. There must be a way to fix it without slowing down scoring too much?

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

I was wondering about this. I've been going through the blogs and looking for purple names when I want to look at something nice. Going through powerscore is pretty tedious sometimes. That or I'll go through the blogs that have a bunch posted like "Promote someone else's design". I think at least having it go to the older designs would make more sense, or at least be more enjoyable.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

I didnt even realize it changed. I sensed something was different and now I know why. Randomizing does seem to give everyone a better chance at getting their work voted on and seen by a bigger audience. Im learning that putting it up in the forum is a good way to self promote also.

inkdummy
inkdummy profile pic Alumni

I didnt even realize it changed. I sensed something was different and now I know why. Same here. I've recieved three votes since yesterday and I just couldn't figure out why, I have no recollection of votes ever being so few.

SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

Have 100 designs go up each weekday; 500 designs per week. Allow more for a Loves contest because of deadlines.

Working through a 1000 is a chore.

I am interested in hearing what you design folks would think about a longer approval (well, more so a longer "going live/up for voting") time. What's it about now? 3 days? Would 5-7 simply be too long for your tastes?

[+duracell-]

Huh... it doesn't say "You've Scored X Number of Designs Out of Y" anymore. What up with that?

[+duracell-]

Maybe the skip button did get fixed after all. Yeay! I just ran through a couple hundred subs and I didn't get doubles once. But it did get to a point where you would score a design and then when it shifted to the right, it would overlap another design..which would not shift off-screen. Oh well, and least we know they are tinkering with it.

[+duracell-]

*shifted to the left i mean

No account?