Close
One second...

What do Threadless partnerships mean for artists??? Update: Gap is live!

UPDATE! Our latest partnership with Gap has launched! Check out this map to see it with your own eyes!

Some of you may have heard about our latest massive partnership through the grapevine. Some of you may have even been notified that your design(s) is part of it... If not… you get the news early as an Alumni: Prepare to see exclusive Threadless products at Gap stores starting at the end of February! With how much help and support we've had from Alumni over the years on these types of initiatives, I wanted to make sure you were the first to know!

We are launching with 26 designs, every one of which has never been printed before. And, there will be many more launches of many more designs throughout the year. More details to come about this shortly but the thing I'm most stoked about with this partnership is how far Gap has gone in-store to tell the artist's stories, can't wait to show pictures! PLEASE KEEP THIS CONFIDENTIAL until we make the official announcement in late February.

What I really wanted to discuss in this thread is Threadless partnerships more broadly. The fact that, now, when you submit a design to Threadless, it's not just to become a Threadless tee. We are working with many partners, Gap is just one, to find opportunities for many more of the designs submitted. Some of these you've seen like Griffin, Dell, Thermos, etc. Others are future partnerships in the works and let me tell you, there are a LOT of them! Some are t-shirt based like Gap but others aren't. We're a design community first, it just so happens we've mostly been printing designs on tees.

One of the things we've struggled with is finding designs for partners. It's an extremely manual process. We've had nearly 400,000 designs submitted to Threadless in the past but we really don't have a very good way to search through them to find designs for partners. Well, now you can help by tagging your designs! For the best chance at getting your design selected for a partnership, we need you to tell us more about the content, concept and appeal of your design.

Go here to tag all of the designs you've submitted in the past!

Thanks! And keep in mind that when you submit a design in the future, it may not just be Threadless.com where or what you could see it end up on - we're looking for all sorts of opportunities to get your work out into the world. Over time you will also see us make submitting ideas for things other than tees an easier process.

p.s. In case it's not crystal clear, we always contact you about an opportunity before we give your design to a partner.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

whoa weirddddd...... is it still the same prize money though?

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

Aha. so, what's the $ situation when a design is selected for partnership?

gumbo is only in it for the money

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Sure I will go tag my 430 odd designs, see you in 4 years :) A tag all option would be awesome or some way to tag more than one sub with the same info.

I wanted to get out of Threadless after hitting a decent print amount but its these opportunities that keep me interested it has the fun and familiarity of submitting to Threadless with the perks of working with big clients and reaching new audiences, which is part of the reason I have been trying to take advantage of the Atrium challenges. It blows my mind that more artists aren't hitting those full throttle! Appreciate the effort with GAP hopefully I will have a future design that goes all the way next time.

dandingeroz
dandingeroz profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

threadless partnerships will give more chance and opportunities to all unprinted artists here. more power to the community :D

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

$$ varies from partner to partner depending on what the deal looks like. whenever a partnership opportunity comes up, when we notify you about it we let you know what the $$ potential is as well.

dang randy, yea that's quite a chore with 430 designs :( not sure we'll be able to have more robust tagging soon but know going forward that you can tag them as you submit, i plan to get that added into the submission form this week.

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

great stuff anyways :) more chances for all to be printed!

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

That's cool, might just have to power through them one day. Will there be a track tag option or something akin to tumblr?

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

initially it'll be mostly for internal use for us to find designs to print. we will definitely tie it to the front end search at some point as well. love the idea of tracking a tag though... get notified when a new "poop" sub is submitted...

jodabaum
jodabaum profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

This is great! I'm stoked to see how this evolves and benefits everyone! :D

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

Great news!

RicoMambo
RicoMambo profile pic Alumni

i like it:)

JacquesMaes
JacquesMaes profile pic Alumni

Great!! Also like the tagging

MadKobra
MadKobra profile pic Alumni

definitely awesome news is good to hear that threadless is taking care of their own :)

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

cool, just tagged some of my designs 8)

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

exciting and new!

ISABOA

I am going to tag all the designs that I think should have gotten printed with "mcrib" FYI wink wink

nathanwpyle at gmail.com
nathanwpyle at gmail.com profile pic Alumni

MORE TAGS TO CONSIDER: cool, awesome, neat, hot-seller, few screen colors thus a high profit margin, trendy, totally 2013, something GAP would like quite a bit

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

lol @ mcrib

... btw we just added tagging to the submission process as well. given that this is so important, we are making at least 5 tags a requirement for every submission.

Tonteau

Print. this. design. please. threadless.

ISABOA

I just mcrib'd a buncha shirts

BurritoGoblin
BurritoGoblin profile pic Alumni

just labelled a bunch of stuff Meat, Dinosaur, Pizza, Peen, Fight... Safe to say I should start drawing some new things. This sounds pretty cool though ~ I'm excited

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

It's about time we got some tags!

What are the preferred tags to indicate whether a design appeals to girls, boys or kids? Is it as simple as girls, boys and/or kids? Or is it girly or guys? These kinds of specifics should be clarified as soon as possible so no designs get lost in the shuffle. There should be a list of the most common tags listed somewhere!

pilihp
pilihp profile pic Alumni

i agree with andyg. andyg for president!

jamesf
jamesf profile pic Alumni

sounds good

Ronin60
Ronin60 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

This is pretty cool. There are tons of great designs out there that didn't quite make it, so if this gives them a second shot at glory, I'm all for it. Nice one.

everything
everything profile pic Alumni

tagged and bagged!

L-M-N-O-P
L-M-N-O-P profile pic Alumni

Interesting development. I tagged all mine!

ir0cko
ir0cko profile pic Alumni

coooooooool

jublin
jublin profile pic Alumni

should we tag designs that have already been printed? Or is this more for forgotten designs?

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

exciting news! I can't wait to see my franz stuff in such a big retail store

spacesick #spacesick #spacesick #spacesick #spacesick

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

Love it! Early congrats to all that have been selected!

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

Can hurt to tag printed designs but mostly for unprinted

bsweber
bsweber profile pic Alumni

thumbs up

love this tagging idea!

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni

So cool news !!!

wowrainbows
wowrainbows profile pic Alumni

I had always wondered what this was about!

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

Wow! Big news. I kind of like the tagging on Society6. I'll probably mess it up by adding irrelevant stuff, but I'll go tag a few now.

emeryg
emeryg profile pic Alumni

What do Threadless partnerships mean for artists??? More opportunity! If you guys are happy to be associated with these Brands and pick through your left overs then its a win win situation for everyone - especially the artists! Congrats to all GAP designers and future ventures... awesome development!

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

skaw, first off big ups on finally having tags secondly when will the artist know if they have definably been picked or rejected?

EricaTheRed
EricaTheRed profile pic Alumni

Awesome! Just added tags.

EricaTheRed
EricaTheRed profile pic Alumni

Will there be threadless designs in Baby Gap and Gap Kids too?

ArTrOcItY

biotwist on Feb 02 '12 at 8:01pm skaw, first off big ups on finally having tags secondly when will the artist know if they have definably been picked or rejected?

It seems to me from what Skaw's said, that artists selected for Gap have already been informed... Do you get a rejection mail if your design hasn't been selected or is it just after certain amount of time passes and you haven't heard from anyone then you just know you haven't been picked?

wowrainbows
wowrainbows profile pic Alumni

It seems to me from what Skaw's said, that artists selected for Gap have already been informed... Do you get a rejection mail if your design hasn't been selected or is it just after certain amount of time passes and you haven't heard from anyone then you just know you haven't been picked?

What my experience (getting rejected by DELL for one of my designs) is that threadless emails the artist with info, and sends all that info plus a design to the partner. The partner picks what they like, and if the artist doesn't get chosen, they're never informed :(

jodabaum
jodabaum profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

What my experience (getting rejected by DELL for one of my designs) is that threadless emails the artist with info, and sends all that info plus a design to the partner. The partner picks what they like, and if the artist doesn't get chosen, they're never informed :(

same experience here...

ArTrOcItY

That's what I thought..:(

Tonteau

So if you got the initial email and haven't been contacted since, you're not in it?

Tonteau

And by 'the' I, of course, mean 'an'.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us