Close
One second...

Going on a Eurotrip this month...

Hallo luvs!

I'll be going on a trip to europe at the end of this month. Will be starting from France, then, Belgium, Netherland and will duly end in England.

So now, I would like to know, if theres any local here from that part of the nation to advise on any place of interest there? I already referred to tourism sites beforehand, however, I believe that more intimate conveyance of information is the way to go.

Watch this
Mountain Gnome

pity i am going to be in South Africa in Feb, otherwise i would have liked to hook up. My Advice for the Ntherlands is to not stay in Amsterdam too long. Go into the countryside, walk through forests in Gelderland (Hoge Veluwe region) or wander through the more hilly region in the south of Holland around Maastricht, or go to the north if you would like to see open flat landscapes (Groningen).

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

^I can agree. Go to Utrecht if you want the Amsterdam feel, but on a smaller, friendlier scale.

What sort of trip do you aim for? Museum stuff, culture, nature, just soaking in mundane daily life?

amanitium

I don't know, culture is good, less money to be spent is better. I just want to see and experience new things.

These places you mention above, will they take long hours to go there? The last thing I want on a trip is to spend most of the time in commuting and being tired after long hours of commuting.

gumbolimbo

Define "long hours". Remember, the Netherlands is a tiny country. So is Belgium.

But then again, 90% of tourists just want to see Amsterdam, can't be bothered looking any further, and have a perfectly good time doing so.

gumbolimbo

Your typical toust trail will look like this: Paris - Antwerp - Amsterdam - London. Easy to navigate by train and will probably satisfy if you're into cities. Throw in an excursion to Kinderdijk for some windmills if you want folklore stuff.

amanitium

Well, actually, you almost got all of my staying place right.

Paris - Brussels - Amsterdam - London.

By long hours, I mean that I don't want to spend majority of my time in Belgium or Netherlands in between places. I want to spend time enjoying the places themselves.

Yeay! Windmill! Kinderdijk - noted!

JacquesMaes
JacquesMaes profile pic Alumni

I like Antwerp a bit more than Brussels, Brussels feels so grey... Ghent is also nice to visit in Belgium, it has a bit of both and even some more, it's a very nice city to wander around in.

Also in Belgium, you can get pretty much anywhere across the country by train in less than an hour or two.

gumbolimbo

I agree about Antwerp - its the nicer city of the 2. Ghent is awesome, if you want to explore Belgium a bit further that's definitely one of the places to go to.

Mountain Gnome

to travel from south to north in the netherlands by train will take you 4 and a quarter hours (Maastricht to Groningen) and will cost you 24 euros

travel by train is quite efficient in holland (but a little expensive)

amanitium

So, basically, in Belgium, I'll be sightseeing in the cities?

amanitium

a friend from other forum said:

Well if you are stopping by London i recommend checking out the Leonardo Davinchi art collection. The biggest colloection of Leonardo's paintings ever assembled in history, including 1 new one discovered in New York last year!! It only lasts till mid-February.

JacquesMaes
JacquesMaes profile pic Alumni

So, basically, in Belgium, I'll be sightseeing in the cities?

Depends on what you want to do, if you don't want to waste too much time by traveling around, then the bigger cities probably have the best bundle of options of things to do and see (scenery, museums, shopping, restaurants, the atmosphere).

amanitium

So, now, I shall wait for the French and English to chip in.

amanitium

where do people wearing lader-hosen live?

amanitium

Last question before flying tomorrow, what is the weather condition in your respective places right now? Should I pack more winter clothing?

Sgt.Dobad

its pretty cold in london at the moment. I imagine most of the places you're visiting will be fairly similar weather wise

mullmuggins

Yeah London = cold right now :(

Any particular things that you are looking to know for your time in London?

Manupix

Paris is wet but not that cold (for the season ;) Check it here, not sure link will work :? How long do you stay?

Manupix

And where?

amanitium

Yabbigator: I heard about the Leonardo Da Vinci's exhibition in London, any idea on the entrance fee? and I heard about the Victoria Line closure on 4th of February, if I were to commute to Ashburton Grove from Hyde Park on that day, will I be effected?

amanitium

*affected

Manupix: 3 days in Paris, going to all the usual suspects, Eiffel, place de la Concord, invalids, luvre pyramids, grand la fa yette galeries, montmartre.

Any other recommendations?

Manupix

The Catacombs? Make sure to get there early because of the usually long line (opens 10 am); closed on Mondays like many things in France.

Galeries Lafayette is a department store, you're aware of that? ;)

amanitium

LOL. I just typed out what I remembered from the itinerary.

amanitium

any place related to voltaire or bonaparte?

Manupix

I can't think of any place about Voltaire except the Pantheon where he's buried, and which is worth a visit anyway. There might be Bonaparte stuff at the Arc de Triomphe, and also in the Invalides where he is buried. To be honest neither the man nor his monuments are of much appeal to me ;) While in Invalides, be sure to see the Musée des Plans-Reliefs, that's amazing!

Manupix

didn't bump

amanitium

Hi, today is my first day in Paris. Went to all the usual suspects, Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, the Park where many naked dudes posed and the Louvre pyramids. After that, my sister lost her one day pass metro ticket.

We went out to of the station to search for her ticket, but to no avail. We bought her a new one. But we couldn't enter the station back using our one day pass, I reckon it was some anti-pass-the-ticket-to-your-friend-at-the back mechanism.

So we had to walk back to another station, and got lost a little bit. And being Asian, we couldn't help but to be a little bit intimidated by some stares. And what is it with the French and not smiling?

I almost cried. LOL.

Manupix

Hey, sorry for that first not-so-good experience ;) I have to agree there's definitely a pessimistic mood floating around the place. Uncool. I'm out of town for the week end, but maybe we could meet for a drink tomorrow afternoon (Monday, or Tuesday if you're still around)? I'm not far from Montmartre, so maybe when you're in the area? Email me if you wish at egaffard neuf fr, you know where to add the @ and dot ;)

amanitium

I didn't consider any of the experience being not so good. New experience is always good experience.

Thank you Manupix for the goodwill, but I will be leaving for Brussels this afternoon. I really wish I could make it.

I really enjoy the 3D Nudity Party at the park between Arc de Triomph and the Louvre Pyramid.

Manupix

Too bad! Bon voyage then ;) But I'm afraid you're somewhat out of luck: there's a huge general strike today in Belgium, and no transport. Even the Eurostar and Thalys trains are affected. Things should be back to normal tomorrow. Can you change your plans yet? More here.

I have no idea what the 3D Nudity Party is, gotta go!

amanitium

3D Nudity Party was a reference to all the nude statues in the park.

I arrived safely at my hotel without reading your comment first. If I were to read your comment first, I would have cancelled my trip to Brussels instead.

No account?
Join Us