Close
One second...

Crying Stars

• by Miluette
  • posted Nov 10, 2011
  • 51 Comments

Watch this
Miluette

I drew this a long time back while listening to a whole lot of Björk.rnrnThen I tried to revise it and turn it into something shirt-able. What do you think?

Snowypenguin94

i must agree that the tears look like flowers than stars unless you wanted them flowers than nevermind. maybe the tears should be darker colors to add to the sad mood? but i could be wrong. other than that, it's awesome!! if you have them time, can you look at mine?? http://www.threadless.com/critique/96587/Brain_Hours

poptops

It would be awesome if the tears were the wet ink style that the bottom of the image is! I'd also go ahead and use intense colors for that since the rest is just black and white. Petals would be great, esp in an ink and flowing down organically. The problem with what's going on now is just that there's a complete dissociation between the character style and the flower style without there really being reason for that. Switching the flowers up to match the rest would make it a much more cohesive image.

The long neck giraffe and dino are sub'd for voting! You mentioned you liked it so I'd really appreciate a 5$ if you want it! :) I know I do! =P http://www.threadless.com/submission/383067/Long_Neck

Sabrinaismee

looks good but the tears look more like flowers then stars can you take a look at my design i would love some input butterfly

Miluette

OK, I tried a few things! (1) Stars that look more like stars. (2) Kind of grunged-up stars. (3) Straight-up flowers/petals. I also adjusted the colors, though I may need to switch them up a bit. I like the flowers one but I don't want it to look too busy, so opinions/suggestions for improvement welcome! What do you like best? (Also, what do you think about the colored areas using glitter or iridescent foil?)

Miluette

Actually I should have written 1-2-3 in a different order since I made a Flash template... :V Anyway yeah! Give me what you got!

michaellaw86

i think this is an awesome design the artwork of the head looks amazing.... Just needed to get that out of the way :)

Now i think the different star patterns are good, but im thinking instead of just choosing one i would combined styles... I would use the last one "Grunged-up stars" as your stars but use the same pattern as the first one with flowers "straight-up flowers/petals"

Make sense?? So like replace the flowers with the grunged-up stars pretty much keep the same placement as the flowers and just changed up the sizes for the stars :P

Again this is awesome best of luck

Please comment on my piece :) plz and ty

http://www.threadless.com/critique/92969/Sad_Cloud

jdstarsz13

The design is really nice! I think you should vary the stars a bit so they're not all exactly the same shape. some of them can be a little uneven, or have a different number of points.

Look at mine?: bleeding angel

Miluette

Apologies for compression. I played around with some of the suggestions. If there's nothing major that irks anyone, I think one of these may be it! Still can't decide between stars or flowers...maybe I should submit both in one? Anyway, for the flowers, I decided to put the colors in spectrum order. For the stars, they seemed more appealing with scattered colors, though I did a version with spectrum order as well. Did some tilting, some patterning similar to flowers. I still like v2's set of six stars the most. My only concern now is clutter, so thoughts about that would be nice.

visualabuse

I think I like the flowery one the most. Maybe it's because the colours are in order, like you said. Really nice illustration btw!

If you'd be so kind, please take a look at my design WIP up for critiques! Cheers!

Miluette

Thanks!

Anyone else? Renovations? Suggestions? Nitpicks?

gappi

Like the effect of the colours but for me, it doesn't connect with what is in behind. Try to to incorporate the colours to the face.

Miluette

Hey! Thanks! It's hard to tell in this preview (apologies), but there is actually some blue in and near the eyes. Keeping it simple! :D

mitchellp
mitchellp profile pic Alumni

The flowers look the best. But they don't match the title.

mitchellp
mitchellp profile pic Alumni

You may also want to try adding drops of different color tears building up on the face too.

Koppulator

Like it, but from the neck down keeps reminding me of a huge pair of lips, esp with the collar bone detail. Perhaps just change the position where it fades to black if you know what I mean?

Miluette

Thanks for your comments! I think I will change the name of this to just "Crying".

I had a thought and decided to test. A bit of grungy distressing, sort of as a unifying factor. Animation compares the old version. Thoughts? Like it? Too much?

panamzak

I would leave the effect on the edges of the black edges of the figure (i like the look of it), but not put it on the colorful tears. I think the way it is now is too much indeed : )

Also try to make the pictures changing slower, cause it is a bit hard to focus.

hope it helps, good luck

zenbolic vision

ok heres the thing i will be frank i like the less black grunges but i can say improve anatomy pelase seek help from friends who good in it or simply see pictures online u have to adjust proportion and anatomy first

zenbolic vision

also i would add this design to be far from cartoon ! like real like man crying colorful tears why not! u can go into fine art here or get already made anatomy picture add ur effects to it

Metruis

Please ignore the style haters; I think your cartoony style works wonders here and I would much sooner give this the thumbs up than a realistic person. I really like your style. It's not so anime as to be, well... anime-inspired, and has a really unique taste to it.

Though I still sort of gravitate to a darker style, so I really like the grungy look added to the backdrop. I'm not sure I'm entirely fond of the grunge added as a unifying effect... I think I would rather see the lineart entirely removed from the crying flowers with even bolder color choices. Right now with the white background, I can't help but think that anything but completely saturated colors looks off. Even more I would like to see just one color of tears for the white backdrop. Or take out all of the white entirely and put it on a colored shirt. Actually, using a white grunge and putting it on a black shirt might be killer too. Or if you stick to a white or black shirt, using the colors as a grungy watercolor background effect could be really neat.

The hard black lines around his shoulders are distracting to me.

Right now it makes me think "psychedelic music is making me cry". I'm not sure how I feel about it in total but I do like the face.

wadoodee

nice!

ra3lina

I like the strong message that you're trying to send in your piece, but I think some visual elements on the design are confusing. The most prominent thing in my mind is the type of flower that you used. When I see a hibiscus flower I think, "Oh Hawaiian shirt, cool, family vacation souvenir." Or, "Costanza Sr. is in da house!" Something that is wrongly juxtaposed by the subject's emotion.

pupukachoo
pupukachoo profile pic Alumni

I'm sadly going to have to echo that the anatomy is very distracting. You have a lot of elements and shapes that are working against each other and though the flowers are a bit less cluttered than the stars the design still feels a touch cluttered (also there are some distracting tangents that my eye goes right to). I agree that it doesn't need to be realism but I can't agree that the anatomy in a piece that's meant to be a solidly drawn "mature" illustration should be ignored, especially if you want to make sure this has a good chance of being printed. You have improved the piece a lot over the past revisions but the anatomical flaws are what stands out most to me

wearstefan

I really like the cratoon-style portrait. The flowers don't mix with it though. Same thing with the black background paintbrushstuff. It's too many styles and techniques, that makes it confusing. I would drop the paintbrsh background and make the flower-tears smaller and in style with the portrait. It probably makes it much stronger, so the message hits harder...curious to see what comments you use

4Ndesign

I do like the grunge design better as well as overall design. I would consider may be adding a little bit more grunge on the bottom so it does not look so blends in better. Another minor thing (and you might not agree) - may be making an outline of flowers similar to the portrait one? So it is not just a very thin outline but the one that change width? Or just make it a bit thinker. But looks very good otherwise.

xmadhatt3r

Thanks for the view on ... As A Kite!

This is some amazing artwork! But why is it called Crying Stars if it's really flowers?

xmadhatt3r

Oh you know what... I didn't even see the other views on the other versions. My bad! :)

So with that being said... I like this one the best, that's for sure... but I think the flowers should be smaller and have more of them. But definitely add some grunge or something of the sort. Maybe even rough up the edges of the flowers, like kinda how ripped paper looks.

Miluette

Metruis's comment gave me an idea, so here is another one. (Did this yesterday, forgot to upload.) I took down the grunge a lot, but I think I may leave that out altogether like before. The animation's slower on this example.

Feel free to be more specific about anatomy; I think I know what you all are getting at, but I want to be sure.

Miluette

Oh, and also ra3lina, these are not hibiscus flowers. I took them from a vector pattern I'd made earlier of a Japanese kimono. I don't really get the Hawaiian feel!

Miluette

Oh, and also ra3lina, these are not hibiscus flowers. I took them from a vector pattern I'd made earlier of a Japanese kimono. I don't really get the Hawaiian feel!

michaellaw86

this look a lot better than before :) i like it a lot I honestly don't know what i would add or change for this atm :) i might have to come back. I think it is ready or atleast very very close

Thanks for your comments on mine :) I have changed it up so plz come by and let me know what you think :) http://www.threadless.com/critique/92969/Sad_Cloud

wadoodee

Awesome! SUBMIT THIS! I think this is ready, just put the design on tee for last crit! For me, the design is to big in V3!

Could you check my Character Design I have submit the third version and need your comment/crit!!!

Miluette

I got critiqued like whoa, and now I have something much better to show. So, the only difference between each page of this is that one has the eyes open, and the backdrop changes. I'm 85% sure I'm not going to submit the eyes-open one. Which leaves this: extra distressing on the inky area? Subtle color within (would push it into sim. process territory)? Or just leave it how it was in the first place? All thoughts welcome! Put your eyes all over it, and thanks for your comments!

puku

I like the closed eyes version much more ... its great!

I would really appreciate if you have time to participate on Project Earth v.3! :)

Miluette

Sorry sorry -- I actually made a little error on the second image for the last upload, which I couldn't proof with Threadless's preview anyway. This one's fixed. To reiterate: I got critiqued like whoa, and now I have something much better to show. Gonna be pushing it through soon! So, the only difference between each page of this is that one has the eyes open, and the backdrop changes. I'm 85% sure I'm not going to submit the eyes-open one. Which leaves this: extra distressing on the inky area? Subtle color within (would push it into sim. process territory)? Or just leave it how it was in the first place? All thoughts welcome! Put your eyes all over it, and thanks for your comments!

EricDiaz

nice illo! Though I would go with just one bright color on this nice black and white image.

Miluette

Thanks everybody :D

I'll mention again, I changed them from stars to flowers at someone's suggestion. The subbed version will just be "Crying". :)

mefearsatan

I actually like it better with the open eyes but I'm obviously one of very few. XD To me the fairly huge amount of tears/flowers somehow doesn't go with the "silent" sadness of the closed eyes. Or maybe itÄs because the tears should (in my mind's expectation) come out of the corners of the eyes...?

Either way it's a great design!

I like the color in the backdrop but I honestly think it works plain black just as well.

Thanks again for your input on my design. :)

Miluette

Gonna submit! Thank you all so much!

No account?
Join Us