Close
One second...

Man builds hobbit house for £3k/ under $5k

one of the websites running the story

home page

So it kinda looks like the LOTR hobbit homes, but maybe it was just designed as an eco home?

Either way, I thought it was a nice story. Have you ever built your own house? I've seen some blogs in Thailand where people have made their own house in the North/Central Eastern areas.

Would you like to live in one of these? :)

Watch this
Boycey

Boycey

The house is in Wales btw.

Boycey

Boycey

applesforjonah

I'd love to live in an earth structure. There's a lady in the area that has a straw/hay bale house that doesn't require any air conditioning or heating due to it's orientation towards the sun, materials, and the way it's set into the earth. I want something like this.

kathleenisradical
kathleenisradical profile pic Alumni

that's actually really lovely. It's so

down to earth.

Boycey

ha ha Kathleen!

@applesforjonah Yeah, I think it looks really nice. Wales is quite cool, so it would be fine to live like that. Thailand is much hotter, so it would need a bunch of solar panels on the roof to power fans or a//c.

The most amazing thing is how cheap it would be too build, if you had the knowhow. That would surely give that family a real sense of freedom if they didn't have any mortgage payments.

Boycey

down to middle earth!

Manupix

This is way cool! Not only is the cost amazing, the 5 months building time too! I'd think you need some solid experience in house building before you can make it a success though.

Friends of mine are actually building their own house in southern France, or rather converting an industrial hangar into a dwelling. Not as eco-friendly as the hobbit house, but they're aiming for organic materials and energy conservation as much as reasonable. It's well under way and already livable after 3 years of (almost) a single person's work of 5-hour days. It's the 6th or 7th house this guy has built for himself so far! I'm in charge of electricity in this project and enjoy it immensely =)

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

That's pretty awesome. looks cozy.

Boycey

On one of the websites, it said that he didn't have any previous experience, but on his homepage he mentions all of the requirements-so he obv. did his research.

Good work Manupix! Good luck to your friends in France.

Boycey

@opifan64 yeah it looks really nicely made

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

It's depressing that you could build like FORTY of these cool hobbit homes for what I paid for my tiny bachelor.

No account?