I am so sick of freaking PROMOTE blogs

really guys?? i mean, is that all you have to say to each other??

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

apparently. it's sad.

taz-pie

you guys suck

taz-pie

i mean, why dont people just vote and comment using powerscore? whats with the mutual masturbation?

gumbolimbo

you deserve some serious slapping

Brightwood
Brightwood profile pic Alumni

but, how do you really feel? :)

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I don't know really. I participated in the circle jerk blogs when I started out in Threadless but then I realized that promoting within Threadless is pretty pointless.

gumbolimbo

grumpy old fart mode

threadless was more fun 2 years ago. proper conversational blogs instead of all these wanky promote blogs.

/grumpy old fart mode

Brightwood
Brightwood profile pic Alumni

@ gumbolimbo HA!

ivejustquitsmoking
ivejustquitsmoking profile pic Alumni

I have mix feelings about this. Where else is it apt to have promotion blogs but in threadless and similar group pages.. Also threadless supports promoting. And also, promotion doesn't guarantee a score. So it could be annoying and futile, but for people who have designs out there, blogging is the most they could do. As long as it's not on other people's design pages I guess it's ok?

taz-pie

piss off salman

sweet n sour
sweet n sour profile pic Alumni

vote trading is kind of lame, but I like wip and process and general discussions about art blogs.

because that's my bag baby

taz-pie

my worst is when people say they will vote $5 in return for a comment on their sub. that pisses me off. why not vote honestly instead of 5ing some piece of shit? that is like whoring yourself out, man.

reags
reags profile pic Alumni

I think it's fair game considering fresh faces around here no doubt find it difficult to gain support from old timers and their cliques so promo blogs I guess is a small platform to get some minor acknowledgement

gumbolimbo

the worst is when people manufactor some appealing blog title to lure me in and then it turns out to be another promo blog.

[+duracell-]

It's funny, we have a critique section. Everyone including staff knows its broken.. and yet it still exists unchanged. It like something we use to distract noobs with or something.

salman.rvf

What do you expect on a website where the main users are submitting designs and promoting them?

I am sick of them too, but I never try to blog promoting all my designs, just some, still trying to get used to the atmosphere here, I will keep users like you in mind next time I post something.

And btw is it considered bad etiquette to even ask for a critique? I never get any critiques unless I post the links everywhere, it is kind of lame, only a few users get all the attention.

sweet n sour
sweet n sour profile pic Alumni

hahaha

my you are grumpy today gumbolimbo

ivejustquitsmoking
ivejustquitsmoking profile pic Alumni

Truth is, end of the day if it's good enough, promotion blogs are unnecessary. It's just the habit that is hard to resist. Lol

reags
reags profile pic Alumni

salman.rvf is right, and I'm certain he's speaking the minds of many newer members here who need a breakthrough. Mate, just do what you gotta do - there will be members that'll be willing to help you out. As duracell mentioned though, the critique section is pretty much broken so just post a regular blog for a critique.

Good luck with it

reags
reags profile pic Alumni

Marco - you're right there, yet at the same time it's hard for some to improve to reach that level of 'good enough' without feedback.

gumbolimbo

So much need for attention, so little to go around. Perhaps I should start an attention giving service. Clearly, there's a big deficit. $1 for a vote and comment. $5 for a $5 vote and comment, is that reasonable?

Wait, 'll be right back after I created the paypal button.

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

HEY I'LL MAKE A NON-PROMOTIONAL BLOG IF YOU 5$ MY NEWEST DESIGN!!!11

SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

I do not like it either. It's a masked version of spam. And I don't believe it works. How could it? By default people get a certain number of votes and a deserving score comes from that.

If someone who uses those PROMOTE blogs can actually show me that they produce results, please do. Because I'd really like to know if it works or doesn't.

[+duracell-]

Great idea gumbolimbo. For $1 I will give my honest opinion to a design, along with any suggestions for improvement I can come up with. This is not just any critique, I have 8 years of threadless design viewing experience. But wait, theres more. Act now and you'll receive TWO additional critiques, promotion to 5 people I don't really know on Twitter, as well as exclusive membership to my fan club. How can you pass a deal like that up? Order now!

Setting up paypal...

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

salman.rvf voices the truth.

All the newbies see top scorers and top user's promoting their designs this way and think it works. I have tried it for awhile and know it does not.

It has become part of the natural cycle of becoming part of Threadless. The newbie thinks, "I need to promote," but are clueless so they first spam (and are reprimanded), then make promo blogs.

I am personally guilty of this. I think doing an art process/WIP blog and then converting to a promo blog is cool, as long as their is not a ridiculous number of bumps. I am done with promotion alone blogs.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

Hey, salmon.rvf, if you're gonna go be an asshole and promote in here, you might want to promote something that DOESN'T USE CLIP ART.

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

While I don't necessarily have an issue with promote blogs (they've always been around), it does seem like that's pretty much all the blogs are now.

Like, what happened to daily blogs discussing how awesome our farts are? I, like the grumpsters, also miss conversation blogs.

Whenever we'd lose OG old farts in the blogs, we always seemed to get some cool newbz to fill the gap and become the new old farts and the blogcycle would be restored. Blogtown has been in jeopardy for a while now, and it has alot to do with all the promote blogs.

Now, I'm not saying people shouldnt promote their stuff... just take a little extra time to get to know the community. Like, what are your thoughts on cutoff jean shorts? Anything. Post a stupid blog. Engage the peoples. Participation goes a lot further than simply promising to vote on peoples designs and posting about yours. And if you want to look at it from a voting perspective, I guarantee you'll get more traffic to your subs the more you post about other things, and hey, maybe you'll make some friends along the way.

Resistance
Resistance profile pic Alumni

Even though salmon used clipart, he put his finger on something I find annoying. There are some who use this site for blogs about what they are interested in (rarely threadless related), and they don't vote on designs or care to help in WIP blogs or critiques. They just treat the blogs as their own playground, stopping by periodically to talk about a song they like or to complain about how this place isn't as good as it used to be. And then there are the popular people who use the blogs to promote their stuff or get feedback on their WIPs and never comment on anyone else's stuff. Communal involvement is a two way street.

Steve The Great

it's pretty pointless to promote within threadless, no? the people who vote votefor everything, or vote for their friends' stuff. So if you want me to vote for you, become my friend! you wanna know how you become my friend? by being likable and funny and nice and not promoting your submission (also by being cute but shh)!!

promote by not promoting!!

SJ27

I'm more than happy to see a "vote for my design" blog or a wip blog.

But seriously, fuck all these "promote here" blogs.

And double fuck all these "vote for me and I'll vote for you" blogs. In the butt. With that water-based lube that dries out real quick.

If you make one of those blogs, MANAGE THEM. If you're only going to vote for everyone else while your design is up, once you're done change the title, change the main post or better yet, delete it.

If you're going to put your design in one of those blogs, don't just add them to your watch list and dump your design in it every time. Check the blog first. Amber coffeecandle had one, she changed the post, said she wouldn't be around for a bit and I keep seeing it bumped. She changed the title so it isn't noobs searching "promote" it's people who've used it before and should be paying attention but aren't.

Pay attention. There's no point sticking your design in a blog from some guy saying "I'll vote for you" if that user isn't active any more. Doing that at best will get you one vote, and if they aren't active it gets you zero. I'm not reading that damn blog and you know it cos you put your design in fifteen other promote blogs.

Make your own blog. Maybe fifteen people will read it. And the blogs will at least have a bit of variety.

Resistance
Resistance profile pic Alumni

I agree about the PROMOTE HERE and VOTE FOR ME ILL GIVE YOU 5$ blogs.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

Im going to promote my subs everywhere I can. If those "PROMOTE HERE" blogs only get me one vote, then thats one more vote. It all adds up.

Don't like those blogs, ignore them. It's really not that difficult.

Manupix

salman.rvf on Jul 15 '11 at 9:14am Sorry I forgot to mention that it was a clipart. It's under public domain and I liked it, so I used it.

How lame. You seem to forget a lot.

SJ27 on Jul 15 '11 at 9:33am I'm more than happy to see a "vote for my design" blog or a wip blog. But seriously, fuck all these "promote here" blogs. And double fuck all these "vote for me and I'll vote for you" blogs.

Yes. I do "vote for my design" blogs, because I tend to believe designers tend to score higher than other users, and some blogging designers explicitly mention they no longer score stuff unless pointed to it. I also check those blogs at times, and often re-score better (usually by +1). Batch scoring tends to produce lower scores than actually looking carefully at stuff.

gumbolimbo on Jul 15 '11 at 7:53am the worst is when people manufactor some appealing blog title to lure me in and then it turns out to be another promo blog.

Double yes!

JacquesMaes
JacquesMaes profile pic Alumni

Would be nice if there was a filter-button that excludes all promote-blogs in the general forums.

toopersent
toopersent profile pic Alumni

If the blog clearly says "Promote" on it...is it that difficult to overlook it? Do the combinations of those letters in that order cause your eyes to spontaneously bleed profusely?

I agree that sneaky promotion blogs and the "lets swap $5" blogs suck, other than that, just ignore them.

Also, we could just talk about homeless people.

taz-pie

I don't actually mind the sneaky promotional blogs, because they sometimes contain jems of interesting conversation. But those blind boring lists of average to crap subs are soul destroying.

And yes, I will bitch about how Threadless bligs used to be better. Because they were.

taz-pie

Haha"jems"

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
No account?