Close
One second...

What words of wisdom do you live by?

Rolf's blog made me think of bits of wisdom that I try to incorporate into my life. A lot of my mantras are straight out of my parents' mouths.

"A sorrow shared is a sorrow divided. A joy shared is a joy multiplied." Anonymous

"Be good and have fun in that order." My mom

"Be one of the good people." My dad

"Do unto others as you would have others do unto you." Jesus

"At least you're not in a Turkish prison." My dad

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
nickv47

Everyone wang chung tonight.

squintygirl

Don't show your entire ass if you can show just half.

nickv47

Don't shit where you eat. (that's a huge one).

squintygirl

Dance with the one that brung ya.

Chipmnk

I thought you started a blog similar to this, but that was your "Advice from Parents" blog.

Kookaberry

It's kind of similar. I realized that after I posted this. But now you can call it "Advice from Parents and possibly Henry David Thoreau"

Haragos

20 items or less

DesignbyProxy

"Never say anything that doesn't improve upon silence."

"If you work hard and you're nice to people, amazing things will happen" -Conan O'Brien

"*******" -Ancient Chinese Secret

toopersent

Pretty much anything that William Burroughs said... especially this:

"Never give anything away for nothing. Never give more than you have to give (always catch the buyer hungry and always make him wait). Always take everything back if you possibly can.”

Chipmnk

Unless one of your parents IS Henry David Thoreau.

nathanwpyle at gmail.com

"it's never as good or as bad as you think"

"measure twice, cut once"

Kookaberry

Oh I remember another one, "A bored person is a boring person."

iPear

"you touch me, I don't care if there's a bottomless pit in front of me to fall into I'm running around like a motherfucker." - Yoshi

dlincoln83

"leave your boogers in your nose, not on the wall."

alvarejo

Never talk behind other people's back. If you do you'll end up fucked up.

nickv47

When in doubt, don't ~ Oprah

mullmuggins

"Water is a nice drink" - advice from my mum when I lived at home, if I was going out to a pub/club. I wouldn't say I live by it though.

"Don't lend more than you can afford to lose" - advice from my dad that has come in pretty handy. If I 'lend' someone something, getting it back is a bonus, rather than a given.

"Never feel bad that you have a nice life/are happy. Wish for other people to be in a more fortunate position, rather than feeling guilt about your good luck". I used to get really upset that things were a lot easier for me than for some people. This advice changed the way I looked at things, for the better.

d3d

where's that dalai lama graph? that belongs in here.

mike bautista
1 design submitted - Score now!

"Don't ever for any reason do anything to anyone for any reason ever, no matter what, no matter where or who or who you are with or where you are going or where you've been ever, for any reason whatsoever."

L-M-N-O-P

While there's life, there's hope. - Cicero

I was raised up believing I was somehow unique/ Like a snowflake, distinct among snowflakes, unique in each way you can see/ And now after some thinking, I'd say I'd rather be/ A functioning cog in some great machinery serving something beyond me/ - Robin Pecknold

Maybe the sun will shine today and the clouds will roll away/ Maybe I won't be so afraid/ I will try to understand...that everything has its plan/ Either way/ - Jeff Tweedy

mike bautista

I've always told myself to consider the consequences.

d3d

michael scott quote, nice.

Spam69

A problem shared is a problem halved.

Spam69

and don't do today what you can put off indefinitely...................

applesforjonah

There's a message scrawled on the wall in our house from the previous owner. We're going to be painting the room soon (only 3 years later). The message says "If there's a shadow in your life, then there's sunshine"

Also, I really like the Northcoast Zeitgeist motto.

jet approves

"fhe time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."

taz-pie

"wear clean underwear in case you get in a car accident"

FRICKINAWESOME

"Choosing the lesser of two evils is a still a vote for evil." -Ralph Nader

"I'm not smarter than you, I've just lived longer." - my dad

The Golden Rule.

"It is better to give than to receive."

"Who ever said doing something different was going to be easy?" -Jebbie.

"I'm normally not a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me SUPERMAN!"- Homer Simpson

So many more quotes that i can't think of now but will hopefully soon and revisit here.

"Never feel bad that you have a nice life/are happy. Wish for other people to be in a more fortunate position, rather than feeling guilt about your good luck". I used to get really upset that things were a lot easier for me than for some people. This advice changed the way I looked at things, for the better. ^This is good stuffz, it took me a long time to feel this way too.

SJ27

If it ain't on, it ain't on.

Roostersauce

One final paragraph of advice: Do not burn yourselves out. Be as I am - a reluctant crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still here. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains, bag the peaks, run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for awhile and contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely, mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with thier hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards. -Eward Abbey

Roostersauce

There's a special rung in hell reserved for people who waste good scotch - Lt. Archie Hicox (Inglorious Bastards)

Whatever you are, be a good one. - Abraham Lincoln

Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. - Albert Einstein

All the planning in the world can't beat dumb luck - A needlepoint I bought in an antique store

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

The Paper Crane

My father always said "you have attracted everything in your life".

Sometimes it seems a bit hard to swallow but I like it, as it makes you take full responsibility for your life. That way you are more inclined to look within for solutions to issues/problems rather the blame and have gratitude for all that is good in your life.

The Paper Crane

Below are wisdoms I wish to live by:

There is no way to happiness - Happiness is the way - the buddha

What we have deciphered after great pain was there to be known from the very beginning - not sure who said that?

Before I was enlightened, I chopped wood and carried water. After I became enlightened I chopped wood and carried water - Zen proverb

If the problem has a solution, worrying is pointless, in the end the problem will be solved. If the problem has no solution, there is no reason to worry, because it can't be solved. - Zen proverb

kaloyster

"you win some, you lose some."

toopersent

Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach the man to fish, you just lost a customer.

lemonalle

"It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer."

--Einstein

Chipmnk

"A writer must teach himself that the basest of all things is to be afraid." - Faulkner

Outlaw01

"Fuck it"

rossmat8

It's not what you know, it's who you know If at first you don't succeed, invent a saying that millions will use without crediting you

Spam69

It's not what you know, it's who you know

My mum also has a saying which Ross reminded me of.

It's not who you know, it's who you sleep with................

stubby43

Its not about the destination its the journey.

Life is a highway.

Lifes a climb but the view is great.

parallelish

Be excellent to each other. Party on dudes!

Ted "Theodore" Logan

joaolauro

Everything is great when you don't give a shit.

Kookaberry

My mom has told me there are many paths to the top of the mountain but the view is the same when you get there.

Ryder

Welcome to Jurassic Park

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?