Close
One second...

7/15/11 "Endangered" Up for voting

Up for Voting!

Thanks everyone for the support so far!

PROCESS

This is my new work that I am chilling over (literally). I thought it would be cool to show my process, so I will continue to update this blog as it progresses. I am thinking about doing a whole series of subs that are of endangered species where they are presented as part of the land. This first one is a snow leopard. Let me know what you think. Comments and critiques are welcome.

And most of all, enjoy!

6/12/11
This is the beginning of my process, I used several reference photos for the snow leopard ( I don't know what a snow leopard looks like off the top of my head). References are a great help, and it is definitely not cheating! Sometimes I have a drawing doodled up beforehand on paper that I scan in and use to make my Photoshop sketch, but this time, I just went straight into Photoshop. Here is the sketch:

Next I begin my favorite part. The long, grueling but equally exciting process of doing line work. This part takes a lot of patience, but it is also the most rewarding if you stick with it. I like to use a simple round brush with size pressure sensitivity. I use the Wacom Intuous 4, which I believe is the best model outside of a cintiq (drool). For my ice explorer I set the minimum diameter in the Shape Dynamics to 25% to get the style I was looking for. Here is the finished ice explorer:

6/13/11
My progress, I used some watercolor photoshop brushes for the light blue color behind. Still trying to figure out what the best way to depict the snow leopard will be in snow.

8:30PM
Working more of the mountiain, also got in and worked the inside of the ice cave. Also, I took others suggestions and made the explorer's boots larger. Very happy with the progress so far:

6/15/11
Got sick on Monday, that was a drawback. Nothing worse than trying to focus with sinus pressure and a headache. Been using this product called buried treasure, anyone used it before? It is disgusting but works pretty darn well. I get it at the health market. Anyways, got cracking on this one again, it sure is taking a long time, here's what I got:

6/20/11

Finished this puppy up. Let me know what you think! Is it ready to sub? Any ideas on a title? Is there anything that you think needs refinement? Thanks!

7/5/11

I added some extra details as suggested (spots and an ear to emphasis what it is), and knocked back the cloud color so it is less prominent. Any other improvements?

Here is the placement:

Let me know what you think, then it is off to be subbed. Thanks for all the comments everyone, they have been really helpful!

Watch this
Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

Awesome concept! The explorer's boots seem a little small compared to the body, but this is looking to be a great shirt.

nikoby
nikoby profile pic Alumni

Update Bump

nikoby

Thanks Biobot, yeah I was kinda thinking that with the boots too. I don't know though, I kinda like it now that it is in the snow

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Looking cool!

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Want to see more!

nikoby

Thanks guys! See more you will

jodabaum
jodabaum profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

this is looking awesome!!!!

agree about boots... they seem a bit skinny

either way it looks great!

nikoby

Looks like I will have to fix those boots then if two people think so, thanks!

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

this is rad

nikoby

Added a new image of my progress, bump...

jodabaum

this is coming along soooo nice!

and the boots are much better

nikoby

Evening update bump.

toopersent
toopersent profile pic Alumni

Wow, very nice. I really love the fur on the explorer's hood. Nice little details everywhere. I just bought a intuous4, so I'm glad to hear you enjoy yours.

nikoby

Thanks, yeah the intuos 4 is awesome, I had the intuos 3 before. The 3 was great, but there is no comparison to the sensitivity of the 4. Only thing I don't like is how often you have to replace the tips, but that probably attributes to the fact it works so smoothly.

Resistance
Resistance profile pic Alumni

This is so awesome.

nikoby

Hey guys, let me know what you think. Does this need anything else? Also, any ideas on a title. I was thinking just "Endangered"

jodabaum

WOW! looks great!!!!

this is just me nit picking, but I feel like the inside of the hoodie/face area, should be darker.... get more opinions before taking my advice though.....

nikoby

Hey, nit picking is good. I was kind of thinking the same thing, still trying to figure out how to go about the hooded face.

micheleficeli

Hey, this is cool! I wish there were some details for the man's face, 'cause it seems a bit incomplete right now. Also, i think oyu could try some real clouds instead of the hand drawn ones (you know, just download some photoshop brushes or take them from a photo). Btw, this is a great design and could make a great tee, too :)

nikoby

Thanks, yeah, I am still trying to figure out something for the face.

nikoby

Lunchtime bump

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

I agree that the explorer 's face and the clouds need work. They seem too whimsical compared to the dramatic mood of the scene. Also, I think you should make the creature a tiny bit more defined. It would be neat to see more impression of the snow leopard's arm and paw in the foreground. And if you added some hint of cat-like ears, it may define and clarify the intended snow leopard theme.

nikoby

Thanks for the feedback, It helps tremendously! I agree with what you said, those are things I was considering, helps to hear someone else point it out so I know I wasn't just nit picking myself.

I was liking the clouds, but if two don't like it, that is probably a good sign I should rework the clouds.

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

i really like your detailed step by step

geoffmuskett

Thanks for sharing your process, really interesting and very impressive. I don't really have anything new to add... a hint of face.. claws on the paw... maybe knock the clouds back a bit. But hey, what do I know, this is ace!

toopersent
toopersent profile pic Alumni

Clouds are a nice touch! This is boss.

L-M-N-O-P
L-M-N-O-P profile pic Alumni

Wow, man. This is amazing.

coyote alert
coyote alert profile pic Alumni

this is so so great. i am getting an intuous 4 in a couple of weeks, can't wait!

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

Everything looks amazing to me but the explorers hood. I think it needs to be darker if you want to shroud the face.

nikoby

Thanks guys! I didn't realize this was still getting comments, I've become sidetracked by Threadwars 4 and put this on the backburner. I will probably do one more update and then put this up for voting soon.

Thanks again!

bandy
1 design submitted -

Amazing! Great work!

nikoby

update BUMP

nikoby

Morning bump

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

looking seriously cool now!

Ivantobealone
Ivantobealone profile pic Alumni

I say it's ready to sub.

nikoby

Thanks! I think I am ready to sub this sucker.

nikoby

Submitting bumples!

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

you should get printed for the epic wip itself

L-M-N-O-P
L-M-N-O-P profile pic Alumni

This is a sure print. If it doesn't, then nothing should.

nikoby

morning bump

nikoby

voting period bump!

nikoby

6 more days to vote :)

nikoby

Saturday Bump