Close
One second...

But I literally live in the gym!

Watch this
Andres Colmenares
Andres Colmenares profile pic Alumni

Decided to go really simple for this one. Is it easy to understand?

erinpillar

I think this illustration is great because it shows a lot of restraint in the illustration while still having that awesome hand-drawn feel. :) I think, though, that it doesn't make sense without the title. For me, it doesn't make sense even with the title - I wonder if maybe there's some joke that I'm just not getting? I think if I would not have realized that these are gym weights had a not seen the title - maybe you could do some hand-drawn text around the tops that say "10 lbs" or some of that crosshatch detail on the bar that all weighs seem to have. Keep it up, though - this style is really perfect! If you have time, please vote $5 here and you if have even more time, leave me some critique on GIVE IT UP!. Thanks!

park_life
park_life profile pic Alumni

I think is easy to understand. The left one is worried because it spends all day on the gym and doesn't loose weight... I think adding any text here would be a mistake!

Andres Colmenares

hey! Thanks... yeah... well for me it's easy to understand, but that could be just because I designed it lol. Perhaps a background that shows they're in a gym? I'll add a version with the tee.

JLBradford

I'll be honest - I don't work out at all, so I'm not an expert on what weights look like. I did get what they were right away though. Either version seems fine.

I don't really have much advice, sorry. I really like the style. I can't say it's a design I'd wear though. Do you have a certain audience in mind?

Andres Colmenares

hey! thanks for the feedback... uhm my audience is everyone that likes the design I guess... I don;'t work out either, but it shouldn't be specific for people who work out only... I guess I could change the name of the design.

erinpillar

You know, I sort of wonder if the joke (a weight on a scale - I think I get it now!) would be more obvious if the weight on the scale either had a really large weight on it (bigger, thicker discs), or super tiny. Maybe think about it? I think it is definitely looking more weighty, so you're making progress!

JLBradford

I agree with erinpillar. I think it might actually be funnier if the weight on the scale is really light. Because their whole identity is how much they weigh...

Could you help on mine? The Horrors of Camping

Andres Colmenares

thanks for the help :)

Well... I could try making the frustrated one heavier and the one that's laughing lighter.

Andres Colmenares

So I added more weight to the one in the left :) looking better?

papercliche

This guys are cute! Maybe just add the cast shadow on the scale/ground for the one on the left. If that throws the composition off then don't worry about it. I think the composition is really working! Try adding a texture to the design. Also, maybe the arms could be thinner? See what you think. And their expressions are spot on. You're so close!

Andres Colmenares

Hey, thanks a lot! I will try to work on that :)

Andres Colmenares

ok, now figuring out some color combinations. Thought this one was pretty cool. Also made the arms and legs a bit skinnier. Watcha think?

Andres Colmenares

oh, erinpillar, i just read your comment XD... Thanks a lot for the help! I will def try that out.

Andres Colmenares

Perhaps with the colors like this?

i.am.levi

personally i like the gray a little bit better. maybe you could offset the tone on the weights to help them stand apart from the scale though. fun idea. keep it up!

Andres Colmenares

hey, thanks! I guess i can keep it with the previous color :)

Andres Colmenares

Im trying to add some color so they don't look so much like screws... thanks to erinpillar for the idea of adding that pattern to the handles.

BuNuggets

This is pretty funny.

Zombie Abe Lincoln

Funny. I think adding the extra weight to the one guy was great, that way he actually would be heavier than the one laughing at him. I also think that the addition of the pattern on the handles helped define them as weights a lot. I'm wondering if both weights should say 20? It's been awhile since I hit the gym, but in my experience hand weights are usually labeled by their overall weight, not by individual plate weight.

Andres Colmenares

Added more weight to the one in the left. And how does it look on this tee color?

neilss1

This is an awesome idea i can see this getting printed no problem, funny clever and well executed no explanation needed for the design :) If ya have time check out my happy MONKEY

Melawrghk

Aww it's cute. I hope it prints!

senseidani

now it's perfect!!

submit and check my design!!! :D

fir3f0x

cute. i think its ready for print now. :)

Giraffix

Haha, awesome! Only thing that I think can be improved, maybe, is the sweat drop at the top of his head. Maybe make it bigger or more obvious? or add a different color to it? That's just a minor suggestion though. I think you should submit this version. It does look really good.

mind having a look at mine? Thanks!

Hyperworm

you make loads of great designs, I'm starting to think they don't really fit to threadless :S which is a shame cause they're great.

hopefully this one will print because it's perfect... (maybe just missing a shadow for the one standing on the scale...)

If you liked "Bye Bye Birdie" you'll surely like Bye Bye Birdie, Thanks

gojirra
gojirra profile pic Alumni

This is really excellent.

No account?