Close
One second...

Help Sketchbook, Inc finish strong!!!

Sketchbook, Inc Process Blog
Thanks for all the support!

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this! Here is the larger image, followed by the progression of this idea:

Large Image

Process:
I am almost embarrassed as to how bad some of these early versions are, but I am really happy with the end product. The initial idea actually sprung from frustration with not being able to think of a good concept. I wanted my sketchbook to be a factory that produced ideas!

Here comes the bad part...

Yes, the smoke coming out the top is supposed to be lightbulbs.. That was definitely a stretch haha. Decided to give up on the smoke and emphasize the concept by adding other elements to bring the sketchbook into context.

The eraser and sharpener weren't right yet, but I liked the concept and started to add details. The major epiphanies here were the ruler sidewalk and the introduction of the light bulb character. Major thanks go to roommate Regina for suggesting the ruler(I was like holy crap how did I not think of that, when she said it).

I liked the lightbulb dude but he still needed some work.

Finally got the lightbulb right and after that it was just detail work with the signs for the buildings, and a little rework of the pencil factory building.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback, your suggestions were invaluable and pushed me to work harder on this concept.

Vote Please!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Mya Jamila

Are those light bulbs coming out of the smoke stacks?

Robbino

Yeah, I'm still trying to make that work

Mightor

I'm sorry, I don't get it. What is it? Title?

micheleficeli

Love the idea. Also cool execution.

sausage_moe

really cool idea. looks way to clean though. needs a dirtier, more used look imo. and i think it should either be a real factory (producing stuff with machines) or an office building (like it is now) but then the smoke stacks don't fit the theme.... or maybe just put stuff in the little office boxes. dunno. might not be true, but think about it:D

mad cat

take away all the windows. Make the binding more clear. get rid of the pink and yellow.

Great idea! Just need a little tweaking.

Robbino

Thanks everyone! wake up bump

Robbino

Update Bump

Robbino

update bump

Robbino

sorry accidentally loaded the wrong image... all fixed!

Resistance
Resistance profile pic Alumni

wow, this has come a long way.... the very first image is great.

Shadows are good, rule sidewalks is awesome, pencils in the background... top notch

Robbino

Thanks Resistance!

Resistance

Maybe show us placement on the tee? You got some blank tee photo mockups to use?

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

I don't like the look of the light bulb maybe try one of the more modern ones.

marblecargirl

The avatar made me think this was Liz for a moment.

boostr29
boostr29 profile pic Alumni

Really nice! I like how the bulb is now, although the arms do look a bit weird. Try drawing the arms like you did the legs. Other than that it looks great :)

Boycey

Wow! the building looks great. I don't like the little character though. When you get the character right, it should look fantastic!

micheleficeli

This improved in a very cool way! What if the building right behind the sketchbook one looks like a post-it block? Also, i agree with Boycey.

Robbino

Thanks everyone!

fixing lightbulb's arms

Robbino

update bump

taz-pie

wait. this isn't liz?

Resistance

Lookin' real good. I would consider removing the light bulb's tie... it takes too long to realize what it is. It almost looks like the bottom of the bulb is unraveling at first glance. And I don't think it is necessary for the design.

Robbino

Whoever this liz character is, she should change her avatar to maid marian. And the we can get married after I win her affections in an archery contest.

Robbino

Update Bump!

Resistance

there we go! light bulb looks great now

Robbino

Thanks resistance, uploaded a bigger image with a new sign for the building

Robbino

update bump

Robbino

bumpity

Robbino

Whoo hoo it's up!

Robbino

Doin good so far..

crosses fingers

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

done! nice avatar!

Robbino

Thanks for the support and the spoiler alerts soloyo!

Daviisilva

Awesome! how did you get the right perspective for the buildings? And great Wip!

Robbino

I drew it out by hand first but then used google sketchup to get the shadows and the ruler perspective right. It's a sweet free 3d modeling program

Robbino

Help keep this above 3!

Robbino

Score is dropping fast...

Robbino

Score is dropping fast...

Daviisilva

bump for awesomeness!

Robbino

Thanks everyone!

Boycey

Brilliant stuff!

Robbino

Thanks for the double comment support boycey!

Robbino

saturday bump

Robbino

Sunday bump!

Braniel

awesome work!

Robbino

Thanks!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?