Close
One second...

Sub :: Flying Fish :: Monochrome version

I dropped down to 3 colors, and I'm thinking this is working much better.

Alright, she's 'bout finished!

Slight UPdate:

Flying fish. Werd.

Watch this
exclamatoryphrase

is that word or weird?

are those little black thing supposed to be trees? its hard to tell.

slaterock
slaterock profile pic Alumni

it's word.
and they're supposed to be little people

jwalsh
jwalsh profile pic Alumni

Nice! Is the all green fish in the background like that to show depth? I like that its a different color but it throws me off that you can't see anything like at least an eye or something? otherwise love it...

slaterock

added an eye, and a bit of detail to the fish towards the back. new colors. I think the red orange is a bit more appealing.

starr226
starr226 profile pic Alumni

er...are you finished with this?

theyspunaweb

whoa I think the green is a little too bright but maybe it's just me

jwalsh
jwalsh profile pic Alumni

Much better with the new colors and the eye!! The orange definitly compliments the design better. The arm is nice too because it was hard to tell those were little people before :)

slaterock

thanks. starr226, do you ask that because it doesn't feel finished? or you don't get it?

starr226

oh, i get it fine - it seems unfinished in comparison to your other work. far less detailed - which to me makes it look like a mockup for something you are going to do, or the beginning stages.
i emphasize that TO ME when I see someone do a series of work at a certain level of detail and then bring something composed of broad empty strokes like this it looks halfassed, less efforted. that doesn't mean it's true - certainly many great artists have gone towards simplicity - but in those cases its almost always the most basic parts of their previous level. it wasn't simple it was more - abbreviated. this to me looks simple.
but it's your work and if you like it and are happy with it then my opinion is meaningless.

slaterock

well, i'm just trying something different. I have found that simplistic designs tend to score really well on here, and a part of me feels i need to adapt to that, if i ever want to get printed. Thanks for the feedback so far everyone!

i carnt spel

i agree with simple man... i like your other stuff bettter but alas

time to strip it bare

slaterock

Hmmm.. I guess I don't see it as really stripping too much away. My polar bear, aliens, and my most recent sub are pretty simplistic, however I didn't see many comments on that? Regardless, thanks for the analysis.

starr226

it's funny that you would say that, slate - because last week there was a "who deserves to be printed that hasn't blog" last week and you were pretty much the consensus pick along with bananaphone. I would say that would be complete reinforcement that what you've been doing has been on the right track and it's the content that hasn't rocked the threadless staff just yet. I would say that you were as close as someone can be right now.

slaterock

starr226, wow. Thanks a ton! I think I just get to anxious and impatient. Haven't received the golden email yet, so I'm just trying some different things. But really, i appreciate your comments. Maybe I was getting burned out doing what I feel are really nice illustrations/designs, yet seeing the more the more simplistic designs scoring higher. I guess I should stay the path, no?

No account?