10-10-10 Subs: Done Scoring.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
Krimson
Krimson profile pic Alumni

if the xiv thinks it so, then it must be.

westond
westond profile pic Alumni

Make them drunk.

Krimson

good idea. So, eyes open to varying amounts, titled expressions, goofy smiles?

Also any other suggestions as to what kind of character matches the type of booze would be appreciated.

snaggle tooth

brandy you gotta go with a distinguished gentlemen. the monocle is a keeper, i'd say a nicely groomed beard and mustache. for the whisky i'd go with a biker looking dude/scraggly old man, vodka, maybe like a smooth dapper looking dude... the others not sure...

Krimson

I was gunna have the absinthe guy stoned as hell, and an unshaven party-kid for the rum.

snaggle tooth

actually make the absinthe guy look like leon

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

Awesome start, love the idea of different drunken personalities or the kinds of people/ghosts who would drink them...I'd love to see some really funny names that are reminiscent of famous vodkas or just in the (pardon the pun) spirit of that kind of drink. Good luck man!

Krimson

tim, "spirits" are any time of non-sweetened distilled alcohol over 20% abv. Also, I made all those labels myself last night, So they are completely original. I even altered the bottle shapes to avoid bottle-shape trademarks.

FNA, you got any other ideas for names? I made up ones that sounded like they would be brand-names. But I can always change em.

Krimson

Alright, added colors, got some faces.

Krimson

those left too need a lot of work me thinks.

Krimson

two*

Krimson

Alright new faces, and messed with the ghost outlines.

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

i think the ghosts could be more emblematic of the liquors they're coming from. e.g. The vodka guy could have a fur hat, the rum could look more piratey, the absinthe a mad bohemian painter, etc. The whiskey guy looks like dilbert. Maybe make him over an the top Scotsman, with the plaid golf hat, burly beard, etc.

Krimson

Think I should keep vectoring, or hand-draw them?

snaggle tooth

Vector bottles are fine, I guess I just want to see more texture, and maybe some highlights on the bottles to give more depth.

rhythmdev9

keep vectoring... and i like the textureless bottle keep it simple and thusly more iconic... i agree with sam and leon about giving the ghost identities that match their bottles

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

were your other subs hand drawn? If so, then I think you should ditch the vector here. Your Boddisatva design had great linework and colors, maybe shoot for something like that. As is, these guys seem a bit too flat, simple, and regular (geometric). some more definition is in order.

Also, in my opinion, the detail in the bottle labels competes with the simplicity of the faces, drawing the attention down. Perhaps simplify the label text as well as add some complexity to the ghosts and faces, so that there is more balance.

Krimson

Got it. thanks all.

Krimson

I suppose I could hand-draw just the faces to contrast from the bottles.

Krimson

Stuck with vectors for consistency. Added some dimensionality to the bottles. Worked on the characters. I still have to come up with something for "Absinthe".

Krimson

any opinions on the new dudes?

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

I feel like you could simplify the Bottle Labels so they read quicker which would help your joke.

• The characters are fun. I don't think you need the Gradient at the bottom of them, but that is my opinion. • The Russian guy's hat could use a little more fluffy looking edges to the fluffy parts of the hat. • The Brandy guy's hat should have those shaping lines all the way from the top to bottom. Just having them in the middle feels odd to me. • All of their eyes: have you tried the center filled instead of the outlined ( o)? ( •)

This is fun. Keep it going.

Krimson

Sweet, thanks Bort, that is extremely helpful. I am implementing most of those changes now.

Anyone have any ideas about that Absinthe guy?

bortwein

How about switching up that character from a guy to a Green Fairy?

When I googled Absinthe, it talked about the green fairy a little.

SJ27

Toulouse Lautrec

Krimson

get some of this action going:

Very bohemian.

Krimson

Alright, got faces for everyone finally. What do you ladies and gents think?

Krimson

maybe ditch the beard and just go mustache?

bortwein

my vote would still be make it a green fairy.

if not, then ditch the side burns but keep the beard. Also make the beard more rough. Use your reference photo you got up there.

bortwein

also you have 4 out of 5 with the same smile, maybe change a few of the mouths for variety.

rhythmdev9

the Russian guy doesn't look very Russian more like a Canadian hunter, it might be the soul patch and stache combo...

rhythmdev9

maybe put the ear flaps up and put a badge on the front of the hat...

Krimson

Alright, continued facial refinements.

I appreciate all of the help so far. Thanks to you Bort for sticking with this for so long. I also tried the fairy earlier, but it felt really hinky having something so different from the other characters mixed in. In addition, I sucked at vectoring fairies.

bortwein

do you feel done?

the characters are looking better.

the fact that the glasses on the absin guy doesn't have the ear holding parts bugs me a little only because you have those types of things on the eye patch and monocle.

Krimson

I am comfortable with where it is for the most part, but am open to more advice for sure. The characters have come a huge way thanks to the input.

I tried to make those old school non-frame glasses, but I will try tossing a frame on em tomorrow to see how it feels.

Thanks again dude.

bortwein

I think something that would help the illustration would be to vary a few of the line widths to help add depth and shadow. Kind of like how you treated the top hat. You can do this pretty easy by making a new brush out of an elongated triangle and/or diamond then adding new stroke lines around the areas you want to make vary. This is how I did my Just Add Color illustration.

Krimson

Ah, so add some more shaping lines, and also give them a bit of spatial variety?

Krimson

Hmm. I have found out that I have no idea how to apply brushes in illustrator.

Krimson

With some shape lines. Pretty exploratory at this point. new to the whole stroke-brush thing, haven't used it before (useful as hell though).

azul mariposa

Thanks for sending me my first nasty comment .Sorry ,Sorry ,sorry i apologize,i'm just two days in theardless dude.I saw in the forum lots of posts asking for votes(did you also send them a message?) so i did the same.I 'll never do it again. The only dredgy thing was your nasty comment, probably you have enough time to read all the blogs. About the blogs yea i'm not into blogging "shoot me" and now for sure.By the way i'm a freelance plastic artist here in Europe and i believe that if you help someone you get twice as much back ,but i guess you'll never know.

oliy

seems that I have missed something

Krimson

Hm. Azul, I attempted to be very polite in your blog.

Also, informing someone of the common courtesies of the environment they want to become a part of is helping them, if you wish to have any success here, I suggest you take direct criticism and good intentioned advice to heart.

I wish you the best. I really do.

bortwein

I think the shape line on the Absin hat is going the wrong direction. At the direction the face is looking at us the hat perspective looks to be more flat and down in direction. Like you should be able to see the top of the hat so the curved line should start out like U shapes at the top and then flatten out _ as they go down. Leaving space at the top to be the top of the hat.

Easy way to think of it. The curve of the hat should follow the curve of the Rim of the hat. So you have it right on the top hat but wrong on the absin hat.

Krimson

how do you feel about the others ones? The non bowler/tophat ones?

Krimson

Anything else besides those lines?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us