Close
One second...

That's A Rip! (xiv's brainchild)

Tired of scoring those designs with stolen images? Post 'em here so others will know what to look out for!!!

Found something that isn't a direct rip but is heavily influenced by a design already found on Threadless? Post it as well so people can make an educated decision. :)

Update: December 7, 2013

Slacker that I am, it's been over two years since I've been active on the forums. I've deleted the list on here as it's sorely out of date. Obviously people know how to navigate the pages and check out the rippers and ripees. :)

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 19
  3. 20
  4. 21
  5. 22
  6. 23
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. 27
  11. ... 43
celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

you guys are so awesome. how do you track all these down???

Manupix

It's like a sixth sense! You just know it when you see one (then google does the actual work)

celandinestern

I still think it's fantastic. I love looking through this blog, it's like watching superheroes at work.

Manupix

Join the gang then! It's lonely in here at times =)

WarDrobeInSpareOom

The title of this:

...made it incredibly easy to find the original picture, which doesn't seem to be theirs.

squintygirl

I gave that one a bad score just for being ugly. Not the subject, I mean, but as a tee.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Here's what Adam said when i posted the link...

AdamGEmerson on Sep 20 '12 Ryder, check the date that the design was submitted on that site. Sept 14. I submitted my design on the 11th, and it was accepted on the 14th. If anything, they ripped me off.

AdamGEmerson on Sep 20 '12 Not to mention the fact that this design was up as a critique on September 11th as well. Here is link to the critique, proving that this design is my original work.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

^ Uh-oh.

Ilya Yavnoshan
Ilya Yavnoshan profile pic Alumni

That triangle one is really good, I thought. DBH link is down, but there was a cached version on google, yeah it is just like it.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

this is my massive complete and utter cock up guys - there's no other way to describe it.
I've been in touch with the original guy and given him this detail but hopefully he'll see this too...:

Basically it was 100% unintentional as lame as that sounds. I've been mucking about with triangular based designs for a while now and late last week I was playing with some space stuff brushes and was like, ooh I'll put those triangles on it, yeah that looks good, but maybe they should be different, tweak tweak, awesome. Having originally been doing it as a personal project I decided to sub it to dbh (it felt more like their thing) and then Adam got in touch with me, pretty pissed as you would be, and - while I initially dismissed him - having looked at his again I realise that I've basically heavily mimicked his design.
I'm not certain how or when I saw it - I subbed this to dbh round about the time it came up here, so it must have been before then - but suffice to say, it's pretty obvious I did see it, although I have to stress it must have only been passing as I don't remember doing it and I certainly didn't sit there with a picture of his and try copy it. It's a case of already working on something similar and it morphing into another image I have in my brain, without realising that that's someone else's image. Ironically i was fucking thrilled with this design - it was such a leap from what I had been working on and pretty much the ideal of what I had been trying to achieve, but now I know why - because it's not mine!

so yeah, i'm embarrassed, ashamed and very disappointed in myself. I myself asked DBH to take it down which they've done and i've removed it from all my other sources like Society6 (I want to stress I didn't make any money off it) and my portfolio. I've apologised to Adam, i hope but certainly don't expect him to accept it, and I'd like to apologise to anyone else who saw it and was like wtf as well.
I have no excuse besides I've been working hard and drinking heavily and i made a mistake.

I also hope that, seeing this is Adams first design, it doesn't stop him coming back here and he looks like he has skills and I would hate to have put him off.

This is definitely something I need to work on it terms of unintentionally absorbing stuff though - I'm always looking out for good and inspiring work but sometimes my subconscious blurs the line between inspiring and mimicking. I think it was soloyo who looked at a WIP I was super proud of a while ago and was like "yeah, thats a Gap shirt that got released 2 weeks ago" . oops :-s

humble humble apologies, i feel like a complete douche and a moron and I'm very very sorry

AdamGEmerson

There is a thin line between Inspiration and Imitation. I'm not sure whether or not Digsy is telling the truth or not. There are a few discrepancies in the emails between the two of us that lead me to believe she is telling half truths. Irregardless, it's been sorted out and she did the right thing. I can put this behind me I just hope it hasn't tarnished my reputation in any way since I'm just starting out.

Good luck to you in the future Digsy.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Glad you guys worked it out!

Great design, Adam

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

Digsy is a wonderful person and a very respected designer in the community here and I believe her 100%.

Threadless encourages us all to score work... as a designer it's easy to see something you like and just sort of mentally store it in the back. It's usually a total un-conscious thing because as designers we are always looking for inspiration. Imitation is especially easy with simple concepts.

I thought I had a totally original design idea the other day and realized threadless printed almost exactly the same thing last year. I love the idea so now I have to decide how to change my idea to be better and alot more different than the one that came before.

Ilya Yavnoshan
Ilya Yavnoshan profile pic Alumni

I've caught myself doing the same thing too =[

Dan Yingling

Wow. Loved the attitude on this guy too. Gone.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

if Dan loves your attitude, GONE! haha

celandinestern

I'd just want to chime in saying what's basically already been established, i.e. when we go through thousands of designs in voting it's not strange for us to pick up things, especially with abstract designs where your own boundaries of 'I remember seeing...' and 'I just thought up...' can blur.

I completely believe Digsy because I a) know her from here to be a very upstanding gal and b) I know she's not dumb, and any artist would have to be pretty dumb to try stealing from someone else on purpose here, because we all know cheaters get caught and all it brings is grief all around. I genuinely don't think any of the Threadless regulars would attempt conscious design theft - it's not worth the inevitable embarrassment.

That said, it's cool that the thing has been cleared up and I'm looking forward to seeing more of Adam's stuff on here :)

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

hey guys

I just want to say thanks to you for all being so understanding. I was too scared to come back in this blog for a few days in case nobody believed me and you had all ripped me a new one! In fact I'm so embarrassed that initially I was planning on staying away from Threadless altogether for a while, but I'm glad I didn't and those of you who have commented have proved once more that this is a pretty awesome community. And again, thanks to Adam for accepting my apology as well, even if he isn't 100% convinced - I'm not certain I would have been as understanding had it been the other way round, so I really appreciate it.

And now I would like to put this whole sorry mess behind me and make sure absolutely everything I do from now on comes with a WIP blog!

celandinestern

WIPs are great, they keep us sane :)

Manupix

hehe, I'm late here but I just wanted to say I know from personal experience that unconscious plagiarism exists ;)

AdamGEmerson

Hey guys I'm back. This time to report a genuine rip. http://www.threadless.com/critique/108896/devil_inside

Not sure where the smiley originated but it can be found here; Yellow Smiley and the red version here; Red Smiley

And if any of you guys get a chance I'd love for some real talent to critique my latest design. You can find it on my profile. Thanks.

AdamGEmerson

Found another one as well. Are we supposed to post stolen critiques on here too or just subs? Original Image

Rip

Love how he claims he spent 3 days in illustrator.

celandinestern

definitely report critiques too, no need to let them become designs if they're obvious rips.

also I have no idea if I count as 'real talent', but I'll take a look at your wip :)

squintygirl

Aha! I had a sneaking feeling about that one, it just looked like a cartoon, but I didn't have time to really reasearch it.

squintygirl

*research

I apparently also didn't have time to spell-check.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

This is so meta!

...a design that was already printed here and then pulled for copyright reasons

Dan Yingling

Gone and Gone, you guys are sharp. Nice work!

Depozyt

Check this out...

Straight rip of a Geoff Mcfetridge design.

original image

ivanrodero

Wow, that's the second time for the same guy... I wonder how many other of his subs are rips...

Depozyt

I know.... It's blatant... and it's getting a half decent score too!

Depozyt

Does anyone (other than Ivan) read this blog? The Geoff Mcfetridge rip is still up and scoring... Come on! its got to go!!!

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

i wouldn't worry about it... it'll go away. Dan checks this blog often. Not to mention, it's completely failing in scoring

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni

holy shit, 2 in a row?

Daviisilva

fuck that, diegoverhagen, don't rip things off

Daviisilva

as for that Quino ripoff, I really though he drew that making a tribute to him... fuck

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

what an idiot.

Dan Yingling

Yes. I read it every day. It's gone.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni

haha...and dan said you shall have none!!

squintygirl

That's the shame about Atrium. Some things just need to be zeroed and zeroed hard.

squintygirl

That dude's got a lot of subs, now I'm really suspicious.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

And there seems to be a wide variety of art styles in his work, too.

squintygirl

I checked his profile, too, and it's very, very suspicious.

Dan Yingling

AH! Come on! Yeah, it's getting pretty ridiculous now....I'll take care of it.

Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 19
  3. 20
  4. 21
  5. 22
  6. 23
  7. 24
  8. 25
  9. 26
  10. 27
  11. ... 43