Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
inkdummy

Very early. Started this today and I'm just having fun with it. Should I try to make it into a tee?

celandinestern

I'm fascinated with your drawing skills. Seriously. I envy you so bad.

I just wonder whether using Flotsam and Jetsam there won't push it into the copyright infringement zone?

celandinestern

I guess you could always plead parody :P

inkdummy

Is that what they're called in english!?! Haha!! I had no clue! (In Sweden, they're called Snoken & Kroken) I dunno about copyright there, I just love mooray eels and saw an excuse to draw them. How does one find out if it's gonna be a copyright-issue?

khalistulistiwa

even in the early stage i could see that this would be an AWESOME design! i've watched some of your designs before and i totally love your illustrations! and yes, this should definitely be made into a tee!! :)

my design is up for scoring, can you help me out? thanks!

sonicboone

Cool. I love your ink works. I should get some pointers from you. Can't wait to see the rest. Too early to critique.

Manistraspomama

Oh, one more thing. I would draw the boat bigger, like it was a fishing boat for a big company. This one looks like it's from "The old man and the sea"

celandinestern

in the end nobody really knows if it's going to be an issue or not. As Brian pointed out in your other blog, Disney is particularly strict about copyright so Threadless is sensitive about it, whereas, for instance, many SuperMario references go by even with blatant similarities and no one seems to mind. If you're enjoying playing with the piece, you could always finish it and see what they say when you sub - if Threadless thinks it might infringe they should refuse it.

On the other hand, if you just changed things around a bit - the hair color of the mermaid, say, who already has a face quite different to Ariel's, and you could draw the Moray eels a little differently too - perhaps as realistic as possible - I think the piece could stand quite well on its own.

And I gotta say again, I adore your lines. Teach me the magic trick? :)

Fonder

Love the idea and how it's looking even in these early stages. I don't know that there should be a copyright problem if the eels are drawn as realistically as possible... I don't think Disney own the rights to red headed mermaids. Fantastic.

My WIP if you care to peek.

inkdummy

@Manistraspomama I've thought about that, and yes, it would be the logical choice and I'll definately keep it in mind, but somehow a tiny boat seems more romantic-stalkerish, ya know? Weird guy with mermaid-fetish goes out on a lifelong quest to find one to keep in his dungeon. Or something. I'm sleepdeprived. Shouldn't type at this stage;)

As for the linework; I'd love to give you some magic tips, but honestly, most of it comes from my light OCD. I'm seriously anal and that's that. It comes from years and years of refusal to use pencils or sketch at all. Now I find that sketching saves me alot of time, so I've started doing that again, but for years I only used ink.

Manistraspomama

I see your point. Well, that was just a suggestion, you should do what YOU think is best. Good luck with this and get some beauty sleep ;)

coffeecandle

It's an amazing drawing, and you should definately keep on going with it. I love the colours you chose too, perfect. I agree with celandinestern about the eels.

Can't wait to see what this will look like down the track. I wish I could give some constructive criticism but I'm a little awestruck right here! haha.

coffeecandle

Also, it'd be great is you could help me withthis :) Thanks !

And go to sleep.

ibeenthere

Anal girl you say...mmm, so many jokes comes to mind...but enough with my deeply disturbed pshych:) anyways, I love your style! i knew this was yours just by looking at the art! this could be a great tee design! I think you won't have copyright issues since this doesn't look like Ariel and the style is different. i agree with you about the boat, it gives a needed tension to the designs. I would suggest maybe adding some underwater details and object to better incorporate the design into the tee. also, i am not sure about actually seeing her get hit...maybe she can hold on to the harpoon as it misses her...i don't know, call me a romantic but a lovely thing like her should be impaled:) If you have the time, please take a look at my Bearminator

vallah

i like the drawing

Please consider critiquing mine, Old School

also i have a design that's up for scoring (Assassin), your score could help me a lot. I appreciate it!

inkdummy

@kevin10992 Haha, this is pure pixel as of now, won't vectorize unless it prints=)

ibeenthere

why should you vectorize this at all? I mean, I assume you are using a tablet for the coloring (cause not every one are as stupid as me and prefer the mouse on most coloring tasks...) and I assume you are working at a huge pixel ratio file for better zooming and corrections...so I think you could just send them the high res file if this gets print...vectorizing this will really take away from the whole feel of your artistic hand...

If you have the time, please take a look at my Bearminator

inkdummy

You assume correctly! Well, actually - since I work at such high res and stuff, not much changes when I vectorize it ( I just live trace the lineart) I made a 2,5 x4 metre wallpaper a while back, and when the original artwork was live traced ( 600 dpi on 25 cm x 40 cm ) livetraced, the difference in linelook was unnoticeable! It's awesome!=)

inkdummy

You assume correctly! Well, actually - since I work at such high res and stuff, not much changes when I vectorize it ( I just live trace the lineart) I made a 2,5 x4 metre wallpaper a while back, and when the original artwork was live traced ( 600 dpi on 25 cm x 40 cm ) livetraced, the difference in linelook was unnoticeable! It's awesome!=)

inkdummy

Progress update. Heavily cropped, there's more white stuff going on on top and the moray eel is gonna have plenty of room to "move" on the tee.

rkotar

wow..... this is increadible. ive been tryna get into the digital painting too. my graphire 4 tablet just broke so lookin 2 get that intuos 4 and get into it haha. but anyway. amazing illustration my only problem w. this so far is is she gettin shot w. the harpoon? idk the way i see it her facial expression might be a little more distressed if she is gettin shot you know? maybe make it so it looks like shes about to get shot? amazing so far. cant wait to see more updates of this. great work. and if you get the time could you critique mine? New Version UP! WOULD BE AWESOME IF YOU COULD

inkdummy

I was going more for shocked than suffering=)

rkotar

not sayin she should be suffereing. but i would be pretty shocked if i was shot too. so its all good.

s0ggywaffls

sucks2be her D: Sick illo though...can't wait to see this finished

Dorell

Wonderful illustration. Bad day for her. I don't know what I could possibly add to this. Even if you weren't finish i'd say this is ready to sub.

Would you please be so kind as to tell me what you think of my design? Here

inkdummy

wow! thanks guys!

drawingnut

Great drawing. I prefer the pinkish red hair though. It would also be pretty cool if you added in a Flounder and Sebastian. Maybe even Kind Trident as well. Can't wait to see future versions.

Critique Me 2 Please :)

inkdummy

Hm, overall, people (including myself) seem to be wanting the pink back. I shall oblige!

LaBellaVita1

wow. you have talent! this illo is amazing but yeah bring back the pink lol :)

if you have a minute, critique mine? thanks :)

ibeenthere

amazing! i do agree about what's been said about her expression...she looks a bit "wowed" instead of shocked... i mean if you were being impaled by a harpoon...you'd probebly be very very shocked...:) the look she has now is better suited for her seeing the harpoon on it's way towards her:)

i like the extra fish life...i think it'll look better this way on the shirt... can't wait to see it finished:)

inkdummy

Updated!

punxie

what program do u use?

Traceritops

the only thing i dont like is that dark shadowy area randomly in the middle. i think maybe you are trying to give the illusion of depth?? for me, it just makes it look dirty. other than that, i love it and i love the style. i think i would submit it in the stage that its in now. i like that you can see areas that appear to be sketchy and unfinished.

Traceritops

and on a side note, i am equally curious to know what program you use to do this.

inkdummy

Photoshop CS3. Simple as that, peeps.

ibeenthere

This is looking marverlus! (I swear I'm not gay...lol) :) i think the dark shadow is spot on and very nice...so don't lose it. the bubbles are a nice touch:) composition wise, i think you need to either take the bottom eel to our right, to make a kind of diagnal line between the ship and him, which will balance the composition and keep the eye moving between him, the marmaid and the boat, or take the upper fish to our right to balance it with the boat and let every thing kinda sink into the center, where the marmaid is. hope this helped a bit:)

mrcartoonist9999

great design. the shadow spot is a good touch but instead of a gradient circle in one spot, a gradient from middle to bottom might be more affective. also does the design continue or is it cropped to this image?

inkdummy

@mrcartoonist9999 It's heavily cropped. But I'm thinking that once on a tee, it'll cover the tee from top to bottom, so your suggestion might be a good one=)

drawingnut

Best one yet! Can't wait to see the final. Definitely show placement on the next one. I would be very interested to see where and how large you would want to print it. Keep up the good work!

Critique Me 2 Please :)

inkdummy

Slowly tugging along.

ibeenthere

well, lines wise it looks amazing! i gotta say, i liked her better when her shades were bluish... also, i think the blood is too blunt...maybe try fading it, or making it a bit transperent...

Please score my design: Bearminator

Traceritops

i agree with ibeenthere.

and im still having a hard time accepting that gradient in the center. maybe if it were coming from the bottom up instead of radial just in that one localized spot it would be more successful?? illustration is still awesome though!!!

if you wouldnt mind scoring mine, i would really appreciate it.

SickSadLittleM

It is amazing! just work on the blood... I like it as it is... but the blood has not the same quality as the whole drawing. :) If you have the time, please tell me what you think about my critique submission: Rock & Roll

rysl

This is a nice design, with a lot of nice detail, and activity (the eels and other fish). It took me a while to follow the rope form the boat and to notice the harpoon and the blood. Although spearing a mermaid is not my style, I would make the tip of the harpoon bloody and make the remainder of the blood look less like yarn.

I didn't even notice the shading in the center, but now I can't not notice it. i can see the desire though to have a perspective "down" into the deep.

If you have a moment, I'd like to get you opinion on some of my own shading in my submission Double Infinity Domino. Thanks.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
No account?