Close
One second...

Backyardosaurus!

Watch this
ayearinreview
ayearinreview profile pic Alumni

Well, hello there everyone.

It's been a long time ... a year in fact, since I've last had time to work on something for the Threadless community. I've had a very, very, very busy last twelve months, which I'll be sure to fill you all in on soon enough. In the meantime, I'd like your help with something you might be interested in ...

My design! I'm lost on a color scheme. The biggest choice is to choose what color shirt to use ... so let's figure that out first. Once we've got that out of the way, it'll be a lot easier to narrow down a nice little palette.

So let me hear your suggestions and ideas!

It's good to be back!

alexhughson

Obvious choice is green or blue (so the yard or sky don't have to be printed).

I love the dinosaur, the tree, and the camper, but the rest of the image doesn't sit as well with me (compared to those 3). Hope the rest gets a little more love before submission.

Good concept. Good luck.

Churroboros: Critiques Appreciated

ayearinreview

What aren't you feeling about the line art? I'm quite content with it, but I'd love to hear more.

I'm thinking of going with a green ... hmm ...

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Green is a good choice. Make the dinosaur orange or red for contrast. The rest is up to you but you should try not detract from the dino with your color choices.

I think the line art is fine. The only thing I would consider removing or editing is the hose; long hose with perspective is difficult to pull-off with vectors and it doesn't quit look right yet.

Good luck.

Xurgen

oh and the house seems a bit small in relation

ayearinreview

I agree about the garden hose, it really throws off the perspective.

Kneez

I think the line work is great. I agree with the hose issue. I think there should be more dino elements in the garden rather that the typical garden. As colour i see it as a simple colour and some tone and highlight.

I have one day left on my design, please vote.

http://www.threadless.com/submission/278260/Creative_Relief

ayearinreview

More dinosaur elements you say?

That's gotten me thinking.

I've got an idea. I'm going to add some subtle damage to the yard. Have the little fenced in flower area be stomped flat ... maybe some muddy foot prints on the walkway, perhaps a crushed lawn chair? Chewed up tire swing?

I'll post a new version soon.

chrx

very nice design. the only remark I'd do about the line art is that the house seems a little to bit compared to the other elements, and at first sight it looks like floating at the center of the lawn...

ayearinreview

I've made some changes to the house, what with the dino-damage now being incorporated. Hopefully it settles those issues.

I'll be posting the updated version shortly.

mtths
mtths profile pic Alumni

welcome back! try a simple color plan and use some bright colors for the dino. there are still some perspective issues in the drawing like the dino's home and the lounge chair. maybe you should move the campervan a bit, so the dino's rooftop comes in the clear, which will work better i think.

looking forward to v2 :-)

you're also invited to vote & comment on my Masquerade Ball

mtths
mtths profile pic Alumni

i like to see those dino damaged garden stuff (broken trampoline?) :-)

ayearinreview

Here's some dino damage!

I'm running a bit low on lawn space ... think there's enough damage?

ayearinreview

PS: ignore the overlapping lines and such, I'll clean those up before I move on to color.

Also, I was thinking of a new title; "Dino Day Afternoon" ...

mtths
mtths profile pic Alumni

yep, much more fun to look at with all the dino damage. dont't overdo it by adding even more stuff i think. color scheme of thumbnail looks good :-)

mtths
mtths profile pic Alumni

yep, much more fun to look at with all the dino damage. dont't overdo it by adding even more stuff i think. color scheme of thumbnail looks good :-)

mtths
mtths profile pic Alumni

hmm, damn iphone.. sorry ^

jayveezed

I like this version a lot, the damage idea has transformed it entirely, for me... for the better ;) Agree about the colour on the thumbnail too. I keep thinking the dino could be sort of cradling the broken head of a gnome, or a flamingo, or a flower draped over those "paws" or some such, he's got that look about him, if you catch my drift!!! Content with his efforts :)

ayearinreview

Oh, I like that idea!

ayearinreview

Added one more bit of damage .... a crushed kiddie pool.

Oh, and I gave him a flamingo friend.

ayearinreview

Again, ignore the overlapping lines for now.

S37

nice!

ayearinreview

Here's some color!

Thoughts?

Jack Lau

interested to see the placement. cute idea!

btw pls vote for my submission over here!

krearchiv

the damage is kind of sweet. I feel as if it was my little pet. maybe the story behind it should be that he "played" in his little yard and before going to rest has eaten something that now should cover his mouth. that would be really kawaii :D I am not really convinced of the little house and the giant campingwagon, they do not fit each other. I kind of like a lean yard. The bicycle neither convinces me, work on the lineart there. Although I am agreeing on blue or green shirt - you could think about taking a dark blueish background an convert the coloring to a night sheme?

Glad to have you back here at threadless.

Please vote for my squirrel Thanks :)

krearchiv

ha, i commented on v3, had it opened in a browsertab for over an hour before commenting. sorry that the response maybe then comes to late for you and only would mean work :(

krearchiv

the roof needs some shadow under the overlapping

ayearinreview

Added some mud splatter.

cozylittlecave

lol! super cute!! I might add damage to the fence, tree, and a broken window though- everything there is really something a big dog could easily do too. The little guy himself though is adorable!!! GL with this!

I'd love some thoughts on mine! http://www.threadless.com/critique/69181/Long_Odds

Ruzu

so cute the dino ejejeej!! the splatter can be better, and the fence can be broken or something, looks to clean :)

Please check mine

mtths
mtths profile pic Alumni

maybe add some claw scratches on the fence around the garden, they indeed look a bit too clean. nice color scheme. the right part of the house looks too much as a facade, missing some dept. just draw some roof on the left side of the /\ top

you're also invited to vote & comment on my Masquerade Ball

ayearinreview

Made it a tad more messy ...

Kraljubre

i like this one!

rkotar

maybe some claw marks/woodshavings on the tree or maybe have the sliding glass door cracked? idk might be too much for me. and not sure if its just me but the fence seems way 2 perfect to be a backyard that houses a dino haha awesome design i like the style alot cant wait to see the next version and if u have the time let me know what u think of mine WOULD BE AWESOME IF YOU COULD

MVinWheaton

I like this one a lot. I would buy it for my son for sure. I agree with rkotar that the fence looks too perfect. I also would only put "Bart"on either the dish or the dinohouse.

alexhughson

Wow, great improvement over V1.

As far as my original concerns over the line art, they're mostly gone at this point. The only thing that's still bugging me is the way the ^ roof comes in over the lower roof. I can't place mt finger on what the problem is, but it makes the whole piece seem fake. I think (emphasis on just think, not know) that making the top of the lower roof meet the higher roof and having less overhang on the upper roof would help. Probably?

Aside from that small quibble, excellent.

jayveezed

wow, it's come a long way! It's looking very good to me, quite like the idea of a bite out of the tree or claw marks. Nice to see him cuddling up to a flamingo ;)

A92Crew

nice!!! It's gonna be nice shirt for kids, but also for adults! I like that it has a lot of details- I love the old bike!

please, check mine, I would appreciate you opinion;

cannibalSUSHI

lucindaa

I really like this! The tree does look too clean though... it would look better if there were some scratches or something on the tree and it was less bushy and healthy looking

Critique mine? Murderous Matryoshka

ayearinreview

Thanks e everyone for all the great feedback! I'm going to make a few tiny additions, and then I'll sub it. I'll be sure to post a link here to the voting page.

Again, thanks everyone!

jayveezed

I'm new here so it was very interesting to see the development, so quick as well! Good luck with it and if you get a chance check out my first effort Gr'ate Jawa Droid Repairs

hockeyhiss

good, but a bit too crowded in my opinion

No account?
Join Us