• 130 Comments

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Just a bit of fun with a rather cliche image.

What do you think?

saliddell

i actually like it on the peach background better than the white. maybe make the facial features darker and a little more noticeable.

my design is up for scoring. could ya help me out and vote and leave a comment? thanks! happy worst day ever

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Thanks, I think it's good on cream too, but maybe white is better for a parody.

SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

I agree about darker features

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Cool, thanks Ryan.

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Features dark enough now?

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Bump

Mrbanana

Hahaha, like this one! Could be some darker and I would choose for straighter lines for the face. (I hope that's correct English)

Please check out mine

Bendsen

Ha! Nizzle idea ;) Well, i would make some different tints in the features. Ex. the eyeballs a wee darker then the eye lid. Not important stuff, but a nice detail :)

Here we go again! Another awesome tray full of delicious cookies!

smws

I would make the features even darker, but it depends on if you want the joke to be visible from far away, or only on a closer look. Clever design, though.

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Any more thoughts on this before I ditch it?

ibeenthere

LOL! this is funny:) i think this should be larger on the t, so it will be easier to see the face even from a little far away...

Please help me out and rate my design: Killer B

russia_agents

Sun don't likes to wake up early :).

Good work.

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Still like this idea, so thought I'd give it another go - any thoughts?

mister hill

Looks good - I can relate to it :)

Only thing for me is the face. There's something about it that doesn't look as 'clean' as the rest. Maybe if it was a bit smoother and changes in the line width to give it a bit more character..

If you have a chance I could use some advice as well.

Our Future Starts With Us

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Thanks. I wanted the face to look a bit tired and wrinkled (slightly more than the rest of the outline) but I'll certainly consider changing it.

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Does it need a horizon line either side?

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

I think not.

mister hill

ah yeah - I get what you mean with the wrinkled line. Makes sense.

mister hill

As for the horizon, I'd leave it out. But see what others say.

ibeenthere

i love the idea! i think the illustration is not there just yet! :) you drew this in photoshop i assume (that's why there's a pixllete feeling to the face lines...) i think this should be done in vector, with clean smooth lines...and if you want a tired look, just add some lines under the eyes:)

you don't need a horiizon line because we can see it due the the straight line under the sun:)

Please score my design: African Mirage and if you have the time, tell me what you think about this design: Lets settle this! :)

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Cleaned up all the lines. I like it better on the yellow too - what do others think?

old.n fashion

like it!!! good idea

maybe you have some work to do with the hand which doesn't handle the coffee... arrange or remove the thumb? did you try to change the sad mouth by a yawn ? just an idea... you've done a great work!

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Thanks, a yawn could work - I'll check out the thumb too.

craquehaus

I love clean minimal work like this.

I think you could add a lot by adding some highlights on the cup and maybe making the lines less straight on the sunburst - more like a crumpled hair getting out of bed look.

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Thanks, craquehaus - both suggestions are good - I'll try them out.

rkotar

ahah i like this alot but its missing something. maybe put him in bed w. him like tucked in. or maybe at the kitchen table? not sure needs something. not a yawn tho cuz his expression is perfect. and if you get the time could you vote on mine? (Once its approved) FLY IN LINE

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

this is fun. You lose the face on the sun when viewed from a distance. Is that something you want to happen or do you want it to be obvious that the sun has a grumpy face? If you want to see it, then I'd suggest adding highlights using the shirt color to the face elements.

or

swap the shirt color with the sun color, so orange or red shirt with the bright yellow sun. sun rise image

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

maybe put him in bed w. him like tucked in.

this is a good suggestion. You could make it look like ripple of water and suggest the wrinkles of sheet bed covers.

craquehaus

this is a good suggestion. You could make it look like ripple of water and suggest the wrinkles of sheet bed covers.

YES. I was thinking the same thing with the line cutoff on the horizon, it looks like the sun would be leaning on something...

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

ok I'm gonna be very boring and just nod to what everyone else said. I agree with just about every suggestion you were given - go for it and it will be a cool piece :)

Thailand

I agree with all the suggestions thus far. I really like this! For some reason (I think someone else said this) the "thumb" on the hand not holding the cup kind of seems out of place almost. I'd try to make it smoothed out. You could also add a texture onto it by using live trace in Illustrator - I think that would look really nice!

If you have any time, please critique me~ http://www.threadless.com/critique/72886/La_Fox_Peinture

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Thanks so much for all the comments so far - how does this look?

By the way, Bortwein - I want the face to be less visible from a distance, so I think I'll keep it as is.

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Thanks, done.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

hrmm maybe that's a tad too crumpled? also the color switch idea is really good.

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Hmm...

craquehaus

Better! I'd like to see the ocean and a reflection accordingly...but try not to compromise too much on the style!

You could also add a texture onto it by using live trace in Illustrator - I think that would look really nice! lol

ibeenthere

very nice! i do agree with celandinestern that it's too crumble...just tone it down a noutch:)

also, you are aware that the red color of the sun autometiclly makes it a statment about japanease people and japan right? cause if not, it's something to take into considaration:)

rbthatcher
rbthatcher profile pic Alumni

I was trying to think of something CLICHE that a coffee mug says, like "I Don't Do Mornings" or "Have A Nice Day"...I think any slight detail added could make this design EPIC! It's all about the subtleties.

craquehaus

Good call @ibeenthere regarding the japan angle.

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

...how's this?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Maybe 'Rise and Shine' on the mug?

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

By the way, I think the reflection might distract from the simplicity of the design, but I'll play around.

Mr Punch

Love this. SUBMIT! I don't think you need the text on the mug. I think the design speaks for itself. Really well done.

Check mine out if you get a chance. Messin' with Zombie

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us