Close
One second...

In response to JW's blog...

Alright I decided to post a blog response to this so mostly everyone would see this. Sorry there have been some drama blogs today, I'm not meaning to contribute to them, but for me this kinda has to be said.

Thanks to the people who posted their opinions in that other blog. I appreciate them!

Okay, I don't really know where to start with this, because there's a lot to say. So I'll try and talk about all of it somehow. Also, please don't think that I'm angry at all about this, no part of this post is sarcastic or sour or whatever.

jean_warhol on Jun 04 '10 at 1:20pm
i said what I think, your characters are too similar, positioning of characters, angles, faces, shapes, patterns, etc. I think its good that you can emulate his style, but try to turn it into your own that's all.

So, first of all, I agree that I'm inspired by Aphte. I'm a big fan of his work, and I love his colors, characters, and concepts. However, I will say that I NEVER try to copy any one of his characters maliciously or anything like that. I never sneak around his site, wondering if I could make a design that's pretty similar to one of his and get away with it. The concepts for my designs are completely my own, and sometimes not even inspired by anyone. Most of the time I just sit staring at a blank PS document wondering what stupid character to draw next.

I'll say that there really ARE differences in our work. Aphte loves to draw a lot of little characters, usually crowding around a bigger dude. They're all bright, colorful, showing a lot of different emotions. For example:

Honestly, I really don't see how my designs look like these. In my designs, I really don't try to show any emotion with my characters. I really like to draw solemn deity-like characters, usually staring at something. I know that these aren't examples that people posted, but if you're going to accuse me of copying Aphte's stlye, then I might as well post some of his other work. You really can't focus on just two or three designs by him.

Going back to what jean_warhol said. "your characters are too similar, positioning of characters"

These are the examples of Aphte's he posted:

And these are examples of mine he posted:

Alrighty. I will admit that I was inspired by his "hollow faced many-eyed" characters. Because I think they're pretty interesting. But I really did try and make an effort to make them my own. In The Harvester, (which is pretty much 95% gigantic floating balls) I added different eyes, an original looking nose, some weird face paint stuff on his cheek. It was until the point that the only similarity was the fact that it's face was black. And can you really harp on someone for making a character with a completely black face? I agree that yes, the whole design may look similar, but technically I really don't think they are. I also have never (or rarely?) seen Aphte draw characters with long, skinny, black limbs. I think that's become a sort of habit with me, and I think that that's an easy difference to spot in our work. I also think that I haven't seen him draw his characters with high-heeled boots. I think that's completely me this time as well.

And as for positioning of characters, I really don't know what to explain. I mean, I really don't know. Are character's poses really something to be copied? I don't know.

"angles, faces, shapes, patterns, etc"

I talked about faces earlier. Angles? I'm really not sure what to talk about there. If you guys want to post examples of what you think he might be talking about, go ahead.

As for patterns, I never ever look at Aphte's work to fid new patterns. I always come up with them by myself. Patterns are usually just different lines and shapes put together, right? Is that really something you can accuse someone of copying? I bet hundreds of other people have drawn the same patterns that Aphte and I have. Plus, the details are so small, so you have to do A LOT. And more patterns means it may step on another person's own patterns. My patterns are really just triangles and lines and circles most of the time.

And shapes? Sure, I'll admit that there are certain similarities in the shapes of characters I do. Part of this is my own problem of not putting enough effort into thinking of new characters shapes to try. So I will say, that this is in part my bad. And I really do need to improve on that.

Now I'll post and example of my work and show why technically it really shouldn't remind you of Aphte.

In my opinion, Aphte really doesn't draw anything like this. This dude has actual skin and stuff like that. Hard to explain, but Aphte's characters have more of a "shape upon shape upon shape and then a smiling head" look to most of his characters. My character is more of a living creature who probably has anatomy and stuff like that. As for the eyes, sure they may remind you of Aphte's eyes, But really, they're just eyes, nobody really has any rights to them. I created my own type of nose for this character too. If it really was close to Aphte's, it would have a spiral like "spear" nose that you would see in his work.

Aphte has done soooo many designs and he's covered so many simple concepts that it's really hard to find something original to do. I think that if people can just get it out of their head that it MIGHT look like Aphte's work, you'll see that they really are different. I rushed this last part because I need to go. But if you want to post your opinion below calling me an idiot or if you agree with me go ahead.

Thanks so much if you read all of that!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
westicles

Sorry for the big images. I'll try and fix that later.

Boycey

*agrees It would be interesting to see what Aphte's response would be.... I think what you said is fair enough, eyes are up for grabs I think, but concepts should be left alone if possible.

Keep up the amazing triangley pics with balloons and hollow eyes!

westicles

Some more words for you:

I find it so hard to make what I want in my designs. I'm constantly checking Aphte's site to see if a part of the design I'm making could possibly represent Aphte's work. I really feel that I'm limited to what I can do if people always relate me back to Aphte.

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

I read it all

and I commend you for the way you handled this/conduct yourself

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

honestly, i don't think your stuff resembles aphte much at all. maybe i'm just not familiar with his work, but i think you two are plenty different.

Fleck
Fleck profile pic Alumni

You obviously take a great joy in sitting and drawing these things, I aint got no beef with that. I say keep it up, if you do it enough you will probably find you naturally diverge a bit more over time.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Well said.

jean_warhol
jean_warhol profile pic Alumni

i also commend you for how you handle this, Im just going by what I see, I gave a few examples and I can make more, but this has all given me a headache.... its just my opinion like I said I may be completely wrong, its an opinion not a fact.

Fleck
Fleck profile pic Alumni

westicles on Jun 04 '10 at 3:27pm Some more words for you:

I find it so hard to make what I want in my designs. I'm constantly checking Aphte's site to see if a part of the design I'm making could possibly represent Aphte's work. I really feel that I'm limited to what I can do if people always relate me back to Aphte.

I think that's a shame.

brentendo

There's no denying stylistically you're very similar, but I think that comes more from the both of you taking the same approach of using small details and patterns to build up an image, I wouldn't put it down to you simply copying aphte or taking his style. The only thing I can say is just keep practising at whatever you're doing and let it grow. Don't let the fact it might be similar to someone else's work stifle you, just keep trying stuff out, you'll never know what direction it could lead.

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

having posted this blog, maybe you should just stop checking aphte's site going forward and draw whatever you want

xtiffany

^ yes.

Boycey

yup

Fleck
Fleck profile pic Alumni

And do more of your b&w stuff, because it is fantastic.

Chipmnk

You're a good dude, and I can see how Aphte's art inspires your own but they're both different enough. I don't know. I personally think this entire thing is pretty ridiculous.

I'm curious to see what Aphte thinks.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
6 designs submitted - Score now!

there are times I want to slap you for what seems like style biting , spend less time watching what others are doing

xtiffany

Chipmnk on Jun 04 '10 at 3:39pm I personally think this entire thing is pretty ridiculous.

westicles

Thanks for the response guys!

Joe, there was always the alternative to this blog. I just scream and throw shit at you.

Jean, your blog was just the spark for my response. It's really been hanging around for around a year and no one really said anything so profound. So I'd like to thank you for bringing this up.

jean_warhol

im just saying, it was never an attempt to make you leave or to create some weirdness here - - it was all in good spirits I'm usually never one to incite a riot

Hildy 42

i love your work and while i dont think it is in anyway copying, there are definatly similarities between you two. who ever said that was a bad thing?

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

I think it's all good, guy.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

I'm of the opinion that your stuff is more coherent than Aphte's - to me his designs are way too busy with no real focus for the most part. Not really a criticism - different strokes and all that.

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

When I look at your older subs, I can see you've changed your style drastically and to me your style now is very similar to Aphte's but I don't think you do it on purpose, it seems like it comes natural to you, you admire his work but I can see you're not a copycat. I think you can give a lot as an artist and your real personal style will evolve with time so keep on doing what you're doing!

westicles

Yep yep yep. No hard feelings and all of that. Pip pip!

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

i missed this stuff completely.

whatever, just keep doing what you're doing, as long as you're not copying directly, I don't see a problem.

Chipmnk

But I do agree you should stop double-checking Aphte's site. Your stuff is amazing and it holds its own.

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff
1 design submitted -

randyotter3000 on Jun 04 '10 at 3:50pm stop copying aphte

hahaha this made me LOL only because he's not the one thats starting the drama this time and it's probably seeking some attention, hey guys look at me instead :P

Also that last image you posted looks a bit like ginnette/apthe like I mentioned before you stuff is way different a bit inspired by, but I personally think your art will keep evolving and go a different route because you have skills, but I have to agree with warhol works looks a bit similar offcourse its not directly copied from aphte but you can see the resemblance in the work, specially going from where you started to the different stages your work has gone, I think just keep doing your thing and something good will come from it in the end because you really do have skills

band-it
band-it profile pic Alumni

lol @ aaron.

i never really related you two, because off all the differences you just mentioned. that being said, i can see similarities, but mainly just because you draw bright characters with goofy looking bodies. and you draw without much texture (ie just straight vectory shapes).

all that aside, you're a pretty incredible dude/drawererer for just having turned 17. keep it up, man.

shirtflirt

fight it out you pussies

jean_warhol

knock some of my teeth out shirtflirt

shirtflirt

no no no i just sit on the sidelines eating fritos and yelling stuff

jean_warhol

well give me some fritos then jerk

ir0cko
ir0cko profile pic Alumni

keep doing what you do best, tickles!

shirtflirt

jerk? HOW DARE YOU HERE"S THE CRUMBS YOU BUM

westicles

Thanks for your opinions guys!

jean_warhol

*licks crumbs off ground

westicles

I don't think my designs look like ginette's designs.

Mine aren't that cool.

shirtflirt

sprays crumbs with a hose

jean_warhol

*licks hose

bafocomics

I personally think you got involved with your art and are struggling to get enough influences in your work to call it your own.

I myself have trouble with that, but i tend to solve this by getting inspiration from stuff that are totally far apart with each other.

I'm thrilled by Rafael Grampa's comic style, Bryan Lee O'malley energy and some cartoonish guys like Walzman's designs on threadless.

I'm sure you cannot single out one of them in my works (well, maibe because i did so little =/) but i'm trying to understand the "why" they draw like that and not "how" they do it.

sometimes we require a little selfconfidence to let go of our beloved inspirations.

By the way you handle this i think you are more worried about improving and finding yourself in what you do than get your name famous by cashing in with mindless rip offs.

Try some different stuff just for the hell of it and see how you fell away from your confort zone.

That's all i have in mind about it i guess.

I hope that my limited English skills could be enough to express what i trully think about this subject.

alexmdc
1 design submitted -

yeah thats how you look lol I meant style wise

mgill52

Bramish on Jun 04 '10 at 3:48pm I'm of the opinion that your stuff is more coherent than Aphte's - to me his designs are way too busy with no real focus for the most part. Not really a criticism - different strokes and all that.

Resistance
Resistance profile pic Alumni

I think people confuse "style" with "idea" or "theme". Some of RicoMambo's style reminds me of Alex, but their ideas, themes, and execution are completely different. Style can be similar, there is nothing wrong with that.

shirtflirt

stop it jean you keep making me laugh at work

alexmdc
1 design submitted -

just move on you and evan! keep doing your thing, you cant please everyone!

jean_warhol
  • coils up hose and takes it home
shirtflirt

just please me. and everything else will fall into place.

jean_warhol

are you coming on to me shirtflirt, I guess its natural since i licked your hose

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us