Close
One second...

backpfeifengesicht

• by yurishuri
  • posted May 29, 2010
  • 23 Comments

Backpfeifengesicht means a face that cries out for a fist in it.

This design is one of three in a series called "Untranslatable" German Words of Pain. I think it's intriguing how our language does not have direct translations of certain foreign words. These words are unique because they specifically represent the culture in which they originated. Also, I just find many of these "untranslatable" words quirky, cute, endearing, and funny. Maybe this is because if you look at it the other way, I am the foreigner.

My theme fits as a series because these words are German, relate to pain (emotionally/physically), and are illustrated depictions of my point of view. Oh, and I also added bunnies in the mix. Enjoy!

Watch this
yurishuri

Backpfeifengesicht means a face that cries out for a fist in it.

This design is one of three in a series called "Untranslatable" German Words of Pain. I think it's intriguing how our language does not have direct translations of certain foreign words. These words are unique because they specifically represent the culture in which they originated. Also, I just find many of these "untranslatable" words quirky, cute, endearing, and funny. Maybe this is because if you look at it the other way, I am the foreigner.

My theme fits as a series because these words are German, relate to pain (emotionally/physically), and are illustrated depictions of my point of view. Oh, and I also added bunnies in the mix. Enjoy!

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

Kinda looks like a bunny is shoving their hand up another rabbit's touchas.

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

QuigglyPhD

I think I would have rather seen the second rabbit's facial expressions or the first rabbit's fist deeper in the second's face. But I do think the design is rather cute.

As a piece of advice I found out over the past few months, people don't really like text on a shirt when it's not specifically part of the design. For instance, having a menu in someone's hand is fine or even someone holding up a sign, but when the word is separate from the design, people tend to shy away from voting for it.

HMaggieR

I completely disagree, I think the text makes this shirt! I would buy one for me and for all of my friends (who love this word). The second bunny face could be better, but it is still amazing.

squintygirl

FRICKINAWESOME on Jun 02 '10 Kinda looks like a bunny is shoving their hand up another rabbit's touchas.

AHAHA, I first read that as 'touch ass'. I think it works either way.

bwong3

Text on shirts are always good! And this one's awesome

yurishuri

Hi QuigglyPhD! You definitely have a point about adding text on a shirt, but after careful consideration I felt the theme would be lost without it. Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to critique my work :) If they are not selected, I will keep your advice in mind and continue to work on and print these designs.

Freakplay

Great idea. I love german words like this. Schandenfreude!

emalah

cute! although as a linguist i'd have to disagree that words represent a culture. :P

craquehaus

FRICKINAWESOME on Jun 02 '10 Kinda looks like a bunny is shoving their hand up another rabbit's touchas.

Tuchas.

Oy vey, the goyem and their Yiddish spelling... But really, it's ok. Just go ahead and spell things however you like. No really...It's not like we're living in grammar nazi germany or anything.

rigel770

love the concept

NGee
NGee profile pic Alumni

Made me snigger

ndikol
ndikol profile pic Alumni

nice!

yurishuri

thanks threadless family for all your feedback! :3

Maxixen

Haha, funny!

myselfgone

I think that you could make the face receiving the punch look a little more like a face. if you fine tune this a little more I would buy it!

zicr

laughs

No account?