Close
One second...

So, we have a new Prime Minister

Our general election is coming up in May and I don't know if anyone else cares, but people seem to love to argue about American politics, so why not argue about British politics too?

Say hello to our new boss:

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
taz-pie

because your politician options look so stodgy!

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

who's running for queen? seems like elizabeth has really had a stranglehold on that position for a long time now.

mullmuggins

No, Taz! This election is the first time that politics has been genuinely engaging in this country for a while - it's not a beauty contest.

Fatheed for Queen 2010?

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

The government always wins.

jamesf
jamesf profile pic Alumni

i know i told you i've never voted, but i'm incredibly interested in politics. having said that, considering the state of things there seems to be so little that really differentiates the parties these days. labour have taken away too many civil liberties and neither they nor the tories seem interested in reversing the ever increasing police state.

i read the review of this book on sunday. it's by the woman who initiated the foi requests for MP's expenses. i'm not a big one for conspiracy theories, but it sounds quite good

The Silent State: Secrets, Surveillance and the Myth of British Democracy by Heather Brooke

taz-pie

its... its not a beauty contest?

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

is he prissy enough?

mullmuggins

Well, it is a bit of a beauty contest, I am waiting for the swimsuit section before I decide who to vote for ;)

James, I do know what you mean but I think there are genuine differences between the parties particularly this time round.

jamesf

Steve The Great on Apr 13 '10 at 11:36am
guy on the right ftw

but steve, he's a massive cunt. mind you, so's the one on the left. and the one in the middle is pretty irrelevant

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

Our politicians do look so ill. Taz is right...

mullmuggins

Is fatheed prissy enough? I was wondering if he might be too prissy!

Guy on the right is probably going to be ftl, Steve.

We could even end up with a hung parliament, which would be interesting.

jamesf

James, I do know what you mean but I think there are genuine differences between the parties particularly this time round.

not in the things i care about. did you watch the politics show late last night? it had david starkey on there talking about how in canada seven or eight years ago they were in the same boat that we're in now. but they actually made hard decisions and cut back on a lot of stuff. and after a few years they got back on track. none of our politicians seem willing to tell the truth about what is needed.

jamesf

i still think that labour will get back in.

stubby43

Right now I'm voting for the lib dems simply because they were the only party that resisted the moronic digital economy act.

Before amendments were made the goverment were aloud to shut down any website that was deemed to have coprighted material on it and we can all imagine how easily that could be abused.

mullmuggins

My money is on a hung parliament, for realz. I don't think Labour can do it, but people are reluctant to vote for the Tories - we need change, just not necessarily that change.

jamesf

mullmuggins

I am with the Lib Dems too, Stubby, although for various reasons... Primarily because I am a lily livered, pinko liberal though.

jamesf

cameron has really missed an opportunity with the tories. if you look at the shadow cabinet and a lot of their proposed candidates, they're just too unpalitable to the average guy in the street. fine have one or two public school types in there, but not the whole lot. jacob rees mogg is standing for them - and he's seems like a massive fucking cockjob

Steve The Great

oh this last guy has a lot of glasses potential. I vote for him.

mullmuggins

ha - yes, although they have been keeping him fairly well hidden from what I have followed from the twitter campaign to locate him.

I prefer politicians to just be who they are - posh or not - than the airbrushed, I'm just like you (but not really), please like me approach to be honest.

jamesf

he looks like wally fffs

i'm not sure who my mp is since i moved. i think it's ed davey. i'd consider voting for him if he was on the electoral register. i occasionally see him on my walk to work. i do like vince cable - he knows his onions

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

Perhaps he should be a grocer?

mullmuggins

Our MP is Simon Hughes - it's a really safe seat, so my vote isn't overly important, but I will go anyway.

If you want to find out how important your vote is, there's a website that tells you. But I can't remember which one. Google it.

jamesf

since 97 there seem to be too many MPs who were either lawyers, public relations or think tanks bullshit. i fucking hate the millibands. there's only one good milliband, and that's steve. woooot wooo!

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

I've never voted. I'm pretty ignorant about politics in general and whenever I've done my research there has been no-one to vote for with whom I agreed wholeheartedly enough to choose them. I'd rather abstain than pick the best of a bad bunch.

jamesf

this blog needs some malcolm tucker

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/99CZHHgAOy8&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/99CZHHgAOy8&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

maddingo

the only funny thing about you guys is that Blair had to hide his Catholicism for 30yrs ... bahahaha

ummm yeah i don't know that much about y'alls coming election i have heard the Conservatives seem to have a good shot at it this time around so that David Cameron guy

hey where is all y'alls black guy however??

maddingo

do you guys feel bad about voting Churchill out basically right as the Germans had been defeated though???

i realize it has been awhile but man what a dick move =p

SnakeMan
SnakeMan profile pic Alumni

this:

made me lol.

mullmuggins

Maddingo, I guess it is impossible to compare American politics with British. For one, religion is very much seperate from state. Tony Blair didn't hide his Catholicism for 30 years, he converted.

Also, where is all y'alls females? ;)

jamesf

maddingo. You've come out with that bullshit about catholicism a few times before. There's no rules about the prime minister being a catholic. And the truth is that nobody gives a shit. Most people prefer to keep religion out of politics in this country. Maybe he was just embarrassed to be associated with paedos :-)

maddingo

there is conflicting info on the PM being legally able to be Catholic

I think that since the PM has the responsibility to appoint the archbishop of Canterbury the PM is prohibited from being Catholic under your law.

i.e. it is a sneaky brit trick no law explicitly prohibits it but by having the PM have responsibility in the Anglican church it is a de facto prohibition
but meh...

UP THE POPE!!!!!

mullmuggins

You are just plain wrong, dingo. As I have said, we (in the words of Alistair Campbell) 'don't do religion' in politics but there is absolutely no law or sneaky tricks preventing anyone of any religion from being prime minister.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

what a surprise, it's three eminently un-voteable c-words. I wont be voting, but if I did it would be Labour because, in theory, they are .001% closer to my ideals.

Check out the 1983 Labour manifesto. Now that's some voteable shit.

jamesf

you've been listening to too much provo propaganda, dingo, that's all bullshit. The pm doesn't pick the archbishops. The only rule about not being a catholic is the monarch, and that makes sense as they are the head of the anglican church. You seem to get very confused about these things.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

who gives a fuck? religion is fine but with politics it just gets in the way of sorting out real issues. that's the prevailing attitude in England and I sincerely hope it stays that way.

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

"Meesta Proime Meeneestah!"

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

Tesco hyperbole time! I'm gonna put it to you that politicians are inherently INSANE. Think about it. Who wants to be a politician? You have two types of people:
Type A - those who genuinely care about the world and want to make it a better place (about 5% I reckon, and that's generous)
Type B - Actual non violent psychopaths who care very little about others and simply crave power over their fellow man. (I doubt many politicians have ever experience genuine empathy) They don't do whats best for you, they do whats best to keep them climbing up the career ladder. Type A are probably more insane than Type B, because they fail to see that as a species we are fucked and that there is no hope.

jamesf

i once sat next to harold wilson in a restaurant. True story that.

mullmuggins

I do agree that power attracts power hungry people, but your level of cynicism over the number of who genuinely care is depressing and I don't think this kind of resigned attitude helps anyone. Sad face.

jamesf

i think there are people who genuinely care. But it seems that those people won't actually make it to any position of great importance. And if they do, their principles are soon jettisoned.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

It's just some fun hyperbole. But I cant see how we're on any sort of path to making the world work. We need a game changer, something like cheap, unlimited energy for all (which is doable) but that sounds scarily communist and therefore, in our lifetimes at least, highly unlikely to happen. We're fucked! The only hope is that we all enter a matrix style virtual environment where society enjoys all the freedoms of living in a post-scarcity world.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

Sorry to derail the thread with more non-sensical ramblings. Remind me never to express a political opinion ever again.

mullmuggins

I'm glad you did, Dan, I know a lot of people feel the same way that you do. I just think that if we all feel like that it becomes self perpetuating.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

I shall be voting Conservative.

Just to annoy Abi.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

you're right but it's hard being one of the positive people. that would mean having to actually do something and I'm far too busy enjoying this brave new world to bother

stubby43

maddingo on Apr 13 '10 at 12:27pm do you guys feel bad about voting Churchill out basically right as the Germans had been defeated though???

I just want to take a step back to this pretty moronic statment, we voted him out because he was against the welfare state, which meant he was against the NHS and an education system for all.

the country needed to change and he wasnt the man to do it.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
No account?