Close
One second...

Comic book n00b

I know nothing. I've only ever read Watchmen, but I'm enjoying Scott Pilgrim at the moment. Olly leant me a couple of 'The Last Man' comics and I'm going to read them next.

Any entry-level recommendations - let me know!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
SnakeMan
SnakeMan profile pic Alumni

SnakeMan
SnakeMan profile pic Alumni

damn.

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

i'm picking up the first two volumes of scott pilgrim from the library today. i'm excited.

Maltzmania
Maltzmania profile pic Alumni
  • The Walking Dead
  • 100 Bullets
  • Ronin
  • Bone
  • The Invisibles
adam antium
adam antium profile pic Alumni

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
V for Vendetta
Wolverine:Weapon X
Garth Ennis' Punisher series
Kick-Ass

also the "Essential" seires form Marvel is amazing for knowing old stories about the marvel universe.

i think you can find paperbacks of all of the above

Maltzmania
  • Hellblazer/John Constantine
  • Preacher
  • Fables
littlem

book noob = boob

that's the only reason i came in here

SPWBB

What kind of comics are you interested in?

Chris Ware is the best. I think you kind of have to work up to him though:

I HIGHLY recommend reading "Understanding Comics" by Scott McCloud. It's not just good for grasping comics, but visual communication in general:

MOME is a collection of new comics that i think releases 4 times a year, and it's a really great introduction to the indie/alt comic scene:

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Awesome stuff. Any recommendations appreciated - I'll keep coming back to here to get suggestions.

Weird for me being a noob. I'm obviously quite visually minded, but starting out on comic books some characters look really similar - So I'm trying to figure out who is who and who is saying what in the melee. Getting the hang of it though. Having to pick up on little character differences.

Maltzmania

it might seem played out but the Sin City series is decent

mz. kat-ii

kudos to you for the Scott Pilgrim love by the way fathface!

spacesick 2

comic books are dumb, bro!

Omair

y: the last man is the series I'm trying to finish
the walking dead is really good
Isajoa introduced me to Planetary, which is also really good

spacesick 2

I started working on a complete run of Red Sonja in high school. that's pretty cool, right? women respect that.

Maltzmania

Twenty_Seven on Mar 31 '10 at 10:13am
Sandman.

spacesick 2

I have a few copies of these promo comics they used to give us in the old days to teach us about sexual abuse and what to do when your dad is an alcoholic and nobody cares and also peter parker gets molested and it's sad but you could borrow them and learn how to be a REAL hero

Omair

Tom Strong by Alan Moore

stevmcnally

Depends what kind of comics you're interested in. Asterios Polyp was the last one I read, and it was pretty great, but might clash if you're keener on the superhero kind..

As SPWBB said, Scott McCloud's book is a great head start too.

SPWBB

I think you're only going to get about 50% of Asterios Polyp if you don't already know a lot about comics. It's an awesome book, but, definitely read Understanding Comics first before that one :)

I also have another, very different recommendation. One of the most memorable comics I've ever read is the Akira series by Otomo. I read it right what I was first getting into comics. The whole thing is like 4,000 pages long or something. It is the definition of epic.

dlincoln83
dlincoln83 profile pic Alumni

100 bullets
Hellblazer
Walking Dead

few of my favorites.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

I was going to say Watchmen. But.

rhythmdev9

Kingdom Come is a classic

SPWBB

+1 for Paul Pope.

Polyester Jones, you should give Understanding Comics a shot! It's really interesting. It's more about visual language in general than anything else. If you are interested in art, design, illustration, or comics, it's a worthwhile and entertaining read.

Chipmnk

Polyester Jones on Mar 31 '10 at 10:42am
you have to read a special guide in order to understand comics?
i thought the point of comics is that they are accessible...

There are some things that the average person might miss out on when reading comics, things that we generally might not think of. For example, the way we unconsciously fill in what happens between panels and how that affects the storytelling. The guide talks about stuff like that, motion, panel arrangement, word balloon placement. Granted, most people can read a comic book without any problems, but there's that extra layer of visual storytelling that people might miss out on.

Chipmnk

Essential Batman collection:

Year One
The Dark Knight Returns
The Killing Joke
Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Hush

glaze

Fatheed

Trust me, go to the website below scroll down the first page and see if you like any of the covers Frank Cho has done. There are some amazing artists in the comic book world and Frank Cho is one of the best of the best.

http://www.libertymeadows.com/

Chipmnk

We3 is a great one-shot. Animal cyborg things with quite a bit of action and a few sad parts that might leave you with a big lump in your throat.

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

Fables
Atomic Robo (I'm reading this right now, its pulpy and silly/funny)
Invincible

I hear "Criminal" by Ed Brubaker is amazing
"Scalped" by Jason Aaron as well

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

PLANETARY

BPRD

POWERS

Blade of the immortal

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

nexus

i bet you would love steve rude's work

Omair

BPRD, HELLBOY, THE GOON

THE TRIFECTA OF MANHOOD

Omair

PAUL POPE IS AMAZING

Gar0
Gar0 profile pic Alumni

The Filth is my personal fave.

Omair

Y is really good Aled. I think you'll like it, the main character is one of my favorites.

scenetk421

Sandman
Bone
Walking Dead
Locke & Key

Roostersauce

Superman - Red Sun

Really really amazing.
It's a parallel universe where superman landed in the soviet union as a baby instead of america.

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

I once bought the first 70 issues of Alpha Flight on eBay for about 20 bucks.

It was one of the first times I ever really read a lot of one book, and was actually able to see the relative impact of different writers.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend reading the first 70 issues of Alpha Flight.

Omair

alpha flight is pretty gay.

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

no man, only Northstar.

and maybe Puck.

r.o.b.o.t.i.c.octopus
r.o.b.o.t.i.c.octopus profile pic Alumni

any era tank girl...maybe try the novella ARMADILLO! first...then move onto the comics.

Omair

dude.

Northstar dies.

spacesick 2

PUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

scenetk421

Old school horror comics like House of Secrets, House of Mystery, Tales From The Crypt, Tomb of Dracula... so many... I love 'em!

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

Viz

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

/end thread.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Gar0 on Mar 31 '10 at 11:57am
The Filth is my personal fave.

tesco
tesco profile pic Alumni

Ooh, I remember that issue of Beano! the other reason Dennis loves shorts is because it attracts older men for casual anal sex in Beano Town's public lavatory

Gar0
Gar0 profile pic Alumni

Trivia: In what issue does Dennis get his first ASBO?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us