Aromaticity

This diagram is known as a "Frost Circle", and shows the energy levels of the molecular orbitals of the pi system in a benzene molecule. I like the way it is nested - at each corner of the diagram we see a visualization of one of the molecular orbitals of the benzene molecule. Taken as a whole, the diagram also constitutes a common shorthand representation of benzene - a hexagon with a circle in the center.

The ouroboros in the center is a shout out to the great German chemist Kekule, who is most famous for deducing the (approximate) structure of benzene. The structure came to him after having a vision of a snake seizing his own tail. Kekule died several years before the Nobel prize was instituted, but would surely have received a Nobel prize had he lived longer. Three of the first five Nobel prizes in Chemistry went to students of his.

I think this makes a cool design for a shirt. I see it as the sort of geometric pattern a superhero might use as an emblem on his (or her) chest. A chemist superhero. There ought to be more of these. Perhaps the reason we haven't seen many of them yet is a shortage of good logos.

Available on super-hero-primary red or blue.

Watch this
NoBeardPete

This diagram is known as a "Frost Circle", and shows the energy levels of the molecular orbitals of the pi system in a benzene molecule. I like the way it is nested - at each corner of the diagram we see a visualization of one of the molecular orbitals of the benzene molecule. Taken as a whole, the diagram also constitutes a common shorthand representation of benzene - a hexagon with a circle in the center.

The ouroboros in the center is a shout out to the great German chemist Kekule, who is most famous for deducing the (approximate) structure of benzene. The structure came to him after having a vision of a snake seizing his own tail. Kekule died several years before the Nobel prize was instituted, but would surely have received a Nobel prize had he lived longer. Three of the first five Nobel prizes in Chemistry went to students of his.

I think this makes a cool design for a shirt. I see it as the sort of geometric pattern a superhero might use as an emblem on his (or her) chest. A chemist superhero. There ought to be more of these. Perhaps the reason we haven't seen many of them yet is a shortage of good logos.

Available on super-hero-primary red or blue.

Interrupt_D

This is awesome for exactly every reason you mentioned. 5$ to you, good sir!

Prochase

This is an awesome design! I'd buy one for myself and one for my little cousin.

wrongfork

Finally, a shirt that represents my affection for the Frost Circle, first explained to me by a wonderful Rice professor and chemistry superhero many years ago.

No account?
Join Us