Close
One second...

A CHALLENGE to fellow subbers: simultaneous joke and 'art' tee subbing

got a challenge for subbers who have been too worried or hesitant to submit 'art tees' to threadless when well executed joke tees are almost guaranteed win it seems. read on.

So after We've Got Some Work to do Now I said I wouldn't do any more pop joke tees here.
I'm especially timid to sub ANOTHER pac man gag tee here on the somewhat-heels of Madness of Mission Six...
but I couldn't get this idea out of my head. I think i'm done with it, though I may still work in some maze-like coral structures vaguely in the backdrop.

but as I said in the image description on my flickr profile, 'you'd be a fool to not try all your designs at Threadless first'...

Which is why I have decided that for every Joke tee, I will submit an 'art tee' at the same time. which means I won't sub this one until I sub a companion art tee design to post at around the same time.
I think this could be an interesting, if not maybe a little depressing- experiment on voter tastes (gag vs art for art's sake)- where I'm sure the art tees will suffer...but maybe they will start to creep into the voter's minds a bit more.

many of you don't have a problem with subbing art tees. I've often used Sonmi as a great example of knocking out cool colorful fine art designs fearlessly, and having luck with them. I wish I could do that. I've talked about it so much but haven't yet gotten the balls to drop a random art tee here and watch it potentially bomb or not be appreciated by the voters. But no more, with my new plan at least.

so I challenge my other threadless friends who have maybe relied on the surefire approach of clever gag tees or pop culture mash-ups to do this:
for every pop culture, joke or pun tee you sub, sub a 'art' tee with no heavy-handed, obvious meaning at the same time.

anybody with me? it may help wash the guilty ease of subbing pop joke tees, as well as start strengthening the chances for pure art and design tees.

Watch this
tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

if only i knew how to make an art tee :-/

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

also, i love this design

davidfromdallas
davidfromdallas profile pic Alumni

This is great, man. I would totally work in a subtle coral-maze that you are referring to - I think it would totally complete this design.

travis76
travis76 profile pic Alumni

i think i know how to make an 'art tee'.
'behold' and 'comfort zone' were pretty close, though comfort zone bordered on 'cute' with the critters.

but i would love to have the courage to sub one or two color designs that just look cool without worrying about voter reaction to not 'getting it'.
i've seen those things win, but it's still such a huge risk sometimes...

robotwaste

I love the design, but I'm wondering why Ms. Pac Man gets no love on threadless. She clearly had the better game.

travis76

mrs pacman did have the better game. it's true.

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I like your idea.

sweet n sour
sweet n sour profile pic Alumni

I love that design its rad

travis76

tell anybody you know who'd want to do it. hopefully it could make it safer to sub art and design tees here in the long run.

sweet n sour
sweet n sour profile pic Alumni

I love that design its rad

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

how about the clam following a trail of bubbles left by the pearl?

travis76

when you play pac man soon after playing mrs pac, you realize how much smoother and faster she moves too...steering pacman feels like stirring setting cement with a spoon.

Mya Jamila

Until I read this I didn't know that Madness of Mission Six was a Pac Man design... O.O

Pierrey

I agree with you.
We'll see what we can do.

travis76

ha ha it never ceases to amaze me how many people (even people who bought and wear it) didn't realize that about mission 6 until someone else points it out to them.
i thought it was a really heavy handed, obvious reference at the time. :P

travis76

lunch bump! i want to get other artists who have been scared to sub 'high art' to use this as a means to go for it...

travis76

dinner bump

davidfromdallas

You, Travis - I'm totally in. This is an awesome idea, and I'm curious to see how is pans out. Awesome call. Should I/other artists who want to participate be posting both subs in the blog?

davidfromdallas

I'd also love to see your definition of "high art" to make sure I'm on the same page as you...

brentendo

I like your idea of combining joke tees with art tees, I wish more people had the balls to actively do something different and rely less on pop culture references or humour as a way to get high scores. I mean, it's easy to complain about a lack of arty tees and hope that someone else will start to produce something more experimental; it's 1000 times harder to be the person who actually takes the risk and does it.
I realise I'm a huge hypocrit by saying that and not doing much about it, but I've been working on my (lame) drawing skills and I'm hoping to do something more arty soon. I'll join you in your quest.

brentendo

I also have to say I'm not that bothered by all the pop culture tees, I just wish people were more subtle about it. I honestly think The Madness of Mission 6 is probably the best pop culture tee on Threadless, simply because it's not so in your face about it. And I love how some people don't even see the reference. If more people were cleverer and more subtle in the way they went about their designs then I'd have less of a problem with them.

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Trav: how's your artsy sub coming along?

travis76

haha....i have several in progress...i really want to sub life paquatic but CAN'T yet...argh. i'm a man of my word.

'high art',davidfromdallas is basically anything other than a pop culture reference being the crux of it. it can be funny, sad, scary, tell a story, or appear to have no meaning at all. even more than that, it could totally be abstract design.
the things i'm working on may elicit chuckles or ' weird' or 'cool' from people, and may have recognizable elements, but they aren't going to be 'oh i get it, it's a __ joke'

spacesick 2

I don't like art

philth007

all i submit are art tees, i try to make them yknow hip and up to date but i must say its a real shame tho for people who arent lame pun addicts, def discourages people who draw all there own shit to see a sub printed when all the person did was steal it off of open source mess with it for ten minutes and people start throwing out words like concept and style and technique and giving such kudos to someone who is just changing dead peoples work. sorry but i wouldnt feel accomplished even if i did get printed, id say to myself wow that was the easeist two grand i ever made! im not knocking anyone in particular and i really do like pop culture references and all that jazz as long as it seems like people put work into it.. idk thats my two cents but sometimes i think alot of people throw around words like technique,and style a little loosely especially when they are voting on a 100%photoshopped design. Im all for humor and i def know how much work can go into a sub even if its all photoshop

philth007

oh and def not knocking this design this is an example of a design that def took some work and i came out really well

philth007

lolz now you like the artz?

spacesick 2

yeah bro arts are the coolest!

philth007 on Mar 25 '10 at 5:52pm
sorry man all im sayin is the mission 6 was like the best one ive ever seen is all-makes me feel like any pacman designs are just meh after that one no offense meant broski

philth007

lolz you made that mission six right?!

philth007

my bad it was the dude who made the blog

spacesick 2

I'm just messin with ya, phil. stay fresh!

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

I'm embarrassed to tell you how long I owned "Madness of Mission Six" before I found out it was a pacman tee. :/

No account?