5. 5
ojacko

oh, awesome! I want it also.

dschwen
dschwen profile pic Alumni

PRINT!

bygrinstow
bygrinstow profile pic Alumni

I was prepared for something mildly amusing...

I am still picking my jaw up off the floor.

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

lol! Very clever! Awesome illo! $5

Kim Mak
Kim Mak profile pic Alumni

This is outstanding!

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff

ummm the image is quite similar but maybe lets hear from buko first ebfore jumping to conclusions?

Swordsaint

please make this happen.

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

The 3po boombox I could see more than one person doing that as a concept, and there are a bunch of differences between Buko's and that 3d real-world rendering of it...although there are LOTS of similarities as well, but I would think those similarities came from logical placements of translating 3po to a boombox style? Anyway the addition of the r2d2 headphones puts this one over the top, but maybe Enkel saw that piece a while back and unconsciously reinterpreted it? Hmmm.

mark722
mark722 profile pic Alumni

you got the droids bass ackwards Evan ; )

Krimson
Krimson profile pic Alumni

^you confused 3po and rd2d.

Krimson
Krimson profile pic Alumni

ah, great minds mark.

ndstillie
ndstillie profile pic Alumni

with a track record like buko's are people really suggesting that he copied this? crazy talk.
Awesome work.

wytrab8
wytrab8 profile pic Alumni

^agreed. Don't think he copied it, just happened to come up with the same concept. Collective consciousness.

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

where did anyone say he copied it....?

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

There are too many similarities for me. The sliders are a massive give-away.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

It can happen though I guess. Benefit of the doubt to Buko.

staffell

The sliders are completely identical in shape to be honest. :/

staffell

ha, yeah. oops :0

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Yeah I know that. Just amazing similarities in the concept and execution, imo - but I know it does happen. I don't think Enkel would have ripped it off. Maybe he'd seen it before and it was buried in his subconscious? :o Maybe it is just one those coincidences.

psykomakia

His version is so much better, too.

psykomakia

His = buko's

Billions McMillions

Wow, Biters Strike Back.
Well-drawn, but I gotta feel this is heavily influenced by my R2-D2 Boombox piece from over a year ago, which was all over the internet on Gizmodo and Boing Boing... Thanks to all the observant folks who remembered who did this first.

http://www.billmcmullen.com/hype.06.html

staffell

Ha! The artist himself. Crazy.

the110
the110 profile pic Alumni

Oh man called out by the original artist.

buko
buko profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Sorry everyone i feel really bad and i already contacted the artist to apologize. It wansn't my intention to rip off, i got the idea from somewhere and i thought it could look cool on shirt. But when i saw that image i realized that I've seen it before and probably got the idea from it but it was totally unconsciously. I never used it as direct reference and if i had it and wanted to rip off i probably would have changed the sliders to avoid similarities and hide the truth, but it was totally coincidence. I'm really sorry that this happened and i know that can happen to anybody but i feel so bad about it.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Don't feel bad, man. It's happened to us all :P It's good to come out and acknowledge it.

kcoutu

Print and share money with artist?

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

FRICKINAWESOME on Mar 24 '10 The 3po boombox I could see more than one person doing that as a concept, and there are a bunch of differences between Buko's and that 3d real-world rendering of it...although there are LOTS of similarities as well, but I would think those similarities came from logical placements of translating 3po to a boombox style? Anyway the addition of the r2d2 headphones puts this one over the top, but maybe Enkel saw that piece a while back and unconsciously reinterpreted it? Hmmm.

None of this bothers me....EXCEPT the fact that FA is confusing R2D2 with C3PO.

Naolito
Naolito profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I think that it's isn't anything bad in what you've done Buko.
Everyday many designs use known characters, antique art or films references, and anything happens.
This time, he has used a funny image on the internet, adding more funny stuff to it with an awesome result.

I don't think that you have to apologize buko, the only thing that maybe you could do when you submited is to post the image that inspired you.

I hope that it prints anyway, You did a incredible work here and this isn't different to any comon spoof that we see everyday at threadless.

Naolito
Naolito profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

One more thing, Share the money???

So, if this prints:

50% to leonardo da vinci?

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff

FA confusing the robots just blew my mind!

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

Seriously...how does a pop reference god like FA not keep his droids straight? Major disappointment.

the110
the110 profile pic Alumni

I'm pretty sure this is still going to print!

brentendo

how does FA not know his C3pos from his R2D2s?

staffell

More power to you buko, the c3p0 headphones as an addition are enough to make this unique. Hope it prints for you cos I'll still buy one!

kcoutu

Naolito on Apr 06 '10 One more thing, Share the money???
So, if this prints:
50% to leonardo da vinci?

I was just trying to come up with a compromise.
But I think the situation you described is slightly different. The arist who did renaissance rocks is spoofing da vinci, buko is not spoofing mcmullen. Buko is spoofing star wars. I am not implying he share the money with George Lucas.

But Mcmullen was already spoofing star wars, and buko, as he explained, probably got that idea from mcmullen, which makes it seem more like a collab, which a lot of people here on threadless already do, and often share the money. Just a thought.

No matter what, I still think it should print and I'm probably going to buy two of them.

miked123

I want this so badly...

antisplatter

Just as a reminder -- you can't copyright an idea, only a work (the way you express the idea through your creative endeavors). So even if buko did take the idea from another artist, the work submitted here is clearly his (buko's) own.

livelavalive

MAN SUBMIT IT THIS IS F*UCKING GREAT :D

livelavalive

MAN SUBMIT IT THIS IS F*UCKING GREAT :D

myteemo
myteemo profile pic Alumni

Winner!

igo2cairo
igo2cairo profile pic Alumni

It's OK Buko, this kind of thing happens to the best of us and it wasn't intentional. It's still an amazing tee design with your own unique twist, so if the original artist agrees with it I'd call it a collab and split it 50/50, that way you both win. :)

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

nah this shirt is amazing love it.

imcrazy8

make this shirt already!!!!

mitchellp
mitchellp profile pic Alumni

@8randon.... see the comments made by Billions McMillions in the above comments

Subtleties

Love what you did with R2 and 3PO.

Page: