Close
One second...

Taste the Rainbow

• by ibyes
  • posted Feb 05, 2010
  • 101 Comments

I know there have been a ton of quality rainbow shirt submissions lately and I am hoping that when I am done this will be another to add to the pile.

I'm posting this quick sketch cause I love this idea and I wanted to see what people thought.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

I know there have been a ton of quality rainbow shirt submissions lately and I am hoping that when I am done this will be another to add to the pile.

I'm posting this quick sketch cause I love this idea and I wanted to see what people thought.

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Using lighting bolts is an interesting idea.

I was also thinking an airplane might be interesting, but maybe that doesn't work. I'll have to see what works best, right now I like the fork and spoon

EricDiaz

nice idea! I like that a cloud is eating it, maybe have the sun peeking out from another cloud in shock or horror?

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Thanks Eric. Nice idea. with the shocked sun When I flesh it out I will see if that fits in. I kinda like the simplicity of the idea as is, but the sun thing may add to it.

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Actually if I make the fork and spoon handles the shape of lighting bolts, instead of just plain lighting bolts or plain fork and spoon, that could add a nice touch.

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

They are supposed to be scared of or weirded out by what the cloud is doing. I'm not sure how I feel about making him badass, I'll have to think about that.

snozberryman

I like this composition a lot, but I think iamzacky is right. It would be a bit better with an evil cloud eating the rainbow and the other ones still innocent.

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

lol! Great style and characters. Yes to the rainbow personification! Maybe a bit more yellow mountain texture under the front of him, it seems to cut off a bit too abruptly. You could add some wrinkles under his hands to emphasize his desperate grasp. I'm not sure about this but maybe a more devilish grin, thunder cloud persona for the hungry cloud? Anyway, great idea and illo, cheers =]

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Thanks! I should have mentioned that this is incomplete especially the rainbow's grip and the foreground where the rainbow is. I will definitely be adding more texture and emphasizing the grip of the rainbow, I want to really get across as you put it the "desperate grasp" I'm thinking two handfuls of grass may do.

As for the cloud I am back and forth with making it cute or devilish. Stay tuned for the next version.

Jebs
Jebs profile pic Alumni

ah ah excellent style, excellent idea, excellent everything!

but, everybody seems to agree with quister with the personnification of the rainbow...i am not sure at all. I mean, what you want the viewer to focus on? I mean, first.

The rainbow character distracts from the eater cloud and the rest...too many faces kill the faces in a way lol
or if you want to keep it, you will have to make it perfect, that's not the case right now...

you also tell too much with this face and this hands...in a way, you remove the poetry, you have in it, let our imagination do it.

eheh, that's just my point of view, and i'm french, so sorry for my bad english

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Thanks Jebs, I like the rainbow both with and without personification.

I think you make a good point that there might be too much going which distracts from the main idea which was cloud eating the rainbow like pasta. I might have to finish both versions and put it to a vote.

deja_nintendo

haha thats funny. i love the suns exspression.

id say no to the personifcation of the rainbow...looks a little like the suns trying to rape it. or not......

but i think it just looks better with out because your in danger of having too many faces/characters, and you could have the base of the rainbow leading up from the bottom of t shirt? so the edge of the rainbow begins a the persons hips if you know what i mean? and so the view leads up into the image.

TrueToYourselfStudios

This is my favorite that ive looked at tonight. Love the addition of the face on the rainbow. I think as long as you are within the color limits you have a good chance at being a top competitor.

If you wouldnt mind critiquing mine im actually looking to put it in for this months contest. Thanks http://www.threadless.com/critique/66614/God_Wears_Gucci

Jebs
Jebs profile pic Alumni

@ ibyes: with a great pleasure!

i can't wait to see the final versions...but you would sub two versions in the same sub? why not...if you put it on different frames on a Flash template, i'd say go for it!

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Hey Jebs, I guess what I meant was that I could sub each version separately. I wouldn't want to have both versions on one sub, it would be too confusing. Thanks

Jebs
Jebs profile pic Alumni

hmmmm, to be honest, your design is very cool, but if you send two versions separately, i am not sure that, with my experience, it would be a nice move...i think that to have the best score, and the possibility to be printed, you should stick with one version.
But the idea to continue in WIP the two alternative semm pretty good to me, so at the end, you see what would be te best option to sub... ;)

in any case, good luck, and that's just a suggestion ;-)

i am about to sub my last WIP, if you want to have a look, that would be a pleasure: http://www.threadless.com/critique/66513/The_Incredible_Be_a_st_Movie_Classification_Title_good_enough

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Here is the new version without the personified rainbow. I do like the screaming rainbow but to Jebs point it does take away from the main idea which was cloud eating rainbow like pasta.

I think I will still finish a version of the other one (with personified rainbow) but for now
here is my progress.

I added a rabbit (which needs work) on the right side and I still have to figure out what
to do with the flowers left side. I like how this is progressing, but its not finished yet, I also need to figure out the best way to frame the design as far as the edges. Maybe adding some leaves in the shirt color( blue) to the outside will help frame it.

Jebs
Jebs profile pic Alumni

yeah, beautiful adjustments. I mean, i love the textures you added here and there...(cloud, grass and river for example are gorgious). Of course, the question of personnification is something subjective, but i think you are going in an excellent direction without.

what will be the print process?? 8 colors, simulation proccess?
i think that the textures you added on the cloud could be also added (but softer, not so important in the other cloud under sthe sun...to be coherent, nah? )
i would make slighly motre distressed texture at the border of the circle in the background too...

VERY good work anyway!

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

yeah, still trying to figure out what to do with that section. Not sure if I am keeping the flowers. but if I do, they will have an expression just like everything else. Thanks

Kalistoga

Ha! I dig the disturbed looks the woodland creatures are giving :O)

I think the rabbit face may be a bit hard to discern at this size though.

moo211

Yeah, the rabbit DOES seem to stand out a bit from the rest of your design. I think if you fix the rabbit this design'll be ready to go!

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Yes agreed I have a small bit of texture in the fish so I will add some to the rabbit/tops of mountians. I'm still not completely sure if i should keep the flowers or add something else, that left side still bothers me a bit.

skylarpig

i lov the sun and cloud the best brilliant idea and great execution, will keep checking

Jebs
Jebs profile pic Alumni

i agree that the new rabbit is not perfectly integrated, in harmony with the rest...the new textured cloud is cool ;-)

i'd say that you could begin to show tee templates to see about the edges, how does it work, right now, it would be speculation eheheh.

anyway, keep up the good work!

Morton_86

Amazing work. I have to say I like the screaming rainbow the best. I think it better shows why the other things have such a look of horror on their faces. But at the same time I like how the rainbow fades into the shirt. It solidifies the design. Maybe you can fuse the two together some how.

Please vote: Love_StinksandPlungedt

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

New comp added, This still isn't finished, but I'm really liking the progress I've made. Personified rainbow is here to stay!

Still working on rabbit and the left side (flowers) still doesn't feel finished to me.

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Added a bear eating a fish:) (still working on it as far as texture/shadows etc...)

Also are three frames in this template, let me know which rainbow expression you like best. and if you like the bigger hands for the rainbow (fr1) or the smaller hands (fr 2-3)

Thanks

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us