Close
One second...

Bart Van de Vel's Insectoid

• by the ThreadStaff
  • posted Dec 21, 2009
  • 121 Comments

We’ve got a lot of devoted designers within the Threadless community. Some people submit many times over, in hopes of getting a printing.

In honor of all the folks who devote time, energy, brainpower, and heart to creating amazing designs, we’re printing the tee “Insectoid.” It’s an incredible design, but the story behind it is even more incredible. It started when we received this touching email from a friend of the designer of “Insectoid,” Tim Muller:

Last week Bart/Harpo25 a very close friend of mine and big contributor of Threadless unexpectedly passed away…

Bart was a very active contributor to Threadless and has submitted more than a 100 designs, which you can see here. (He) sometimes collaborated with member Frickinawesome. None of his designs however gathered enough votes to be printed.

A group of friends are now gathering all of Bart's drawings and sketches, to create a website (http://bartvandevel.com) and book in memory of him…

We’re a big fan of Bart’s work and we chose to print “Insectoid,” as it was the last design Bart submitted to Threadless. The money normally given to the artist for printing will go to Bart’s family to pay for funeral costs. We thank Bart for being such a devoted fan and such a talented member of this community.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

This makes me very sad. My thoughts go out to Bart's family.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni

whoa threadless is truly amazing

alvarejo
alvarejo profile pic Alumni

i had no idea, damn, what a sad news. I like what you did Threadless.

Maltzmania
Maltzmania profile pic Alumni

RIP Bart.

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

Yes, you guys are great!

NomadSlim
NomadSlim profile pic Alumni

Wonderful tribute. I hope his friends and family get to smile and remember him while wearing his shirt.

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

what!!!! oh no :(((( i remember bart doing all the awesome portraits of bloggers. he seemed like such a great guy. so tragic. r.i.p. bart, may you be continuing to make awesome art where ever you are now. thoughts out to his family.

jess4002
jess4002 profile pic Alumni

we'll miss you so, so much, bart. you were such an amazing member of threadless. thank you threadless for doing this and my thoughts go out to the family and the friends of bart. RIP bart.

NomadSlim
NomadSlim profile pic Alumni

I hope that someone is able to post a comment under his account sharing this story as well, so that the people buying it who might not see this know what's up.

rodrigobhz
rodrigobhz profile pic Alumni

:(

Rest in best Bart.

Great tribute, guys

Mike4507

Man, that's too bad. That guy was cool.

rodrigobhz
rodrigobhz profile pic Alumni

I mean, rest in peace. :(

lemonalle

that is so sad... bart was a super-sweet and talented guy.

squintygirl

Oh, no, that's terrible news. Sending thoughts and prayers to his friends and family. Thanks for the very kind tribute to a cool guy.

ir0cko
ir0cko profile pic Alumni

This makes me really sad. Such a young and talented guy. My thoughts go out to his family and friends. Thank you Threadless for being so amazing.

RIP Bart

bengineer
bengineer profile pic Alumni

Wow, what a great gesture of threadless to honor bart by printing his last design...i'm really sad he never saw one of his designs printed. rest in peace.

Aphte
Aphte profile pic Alumni

It's so sad, but it's a great thing to print his design...

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

D: RIP Bart, this is very upsetting.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Man, that's really sad news - seemed like a sound fella, and very talented too. I actually got a bit watery-eyed reading that.

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

Bart was a really talented guy and submitted many terrific designs here. I always liked his cartoon style and the Mother Russia design that he did was one of my favorites. It's so sad reading that he is gone.

littlem

so sad when i heard about this. he did incredible portraits and i've heard he was a really amazing person.
my heart goes out to all his loved ones.

littlem

threadless is awesome to do this for his family

le_hell
le_hell profile pic Alumni

rest in peace man

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

Threadless is really truly amazing.
His family will be very proud of him.

Retroludo
Retroludo profile pic Alumni

This is a very noble thing for Threadless to do under such tragic circumstances. I'm glad the money will go to his family and his work will remind others of his talent.

lunchboxbrain
lunchboxbrain profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

wow. super sad story. rest in peace bart.

corey9

very sad news.

danrule
danrule profile pic Alumni

Such sad news, rest in peace.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

omg. That's terrible news.

What a nice guy and a talented artist. Thoughts and prayers are with Bart's friends and family.

:(((

evan3
evan3 profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

oh
that is soo sad

MeLa de Gypsie

I remember the days of Bart, and all his illustrations for many here.

Was so sad when I heard the news... =(

RIP... he'll be remembered dearly

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff
3 designs submitted - Score now!

oh now :( RIP bart truly some sdad news, but an very kind act of threadless indeed, goes to show threadless is way more then a tshirt company

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

bart was the BEST - many of you may not know that he actually was a ninja. the best ninja - way back when I first started here I did a little contest on who was the best ninja and bart won it easily with his amazing ninja skills.
Bart was also a founding member of the monster mob -

today I toast to a ninja who left this earth too soon. A talented, humble awesome dude. There are not enough people like Bart and our world is a lot less awesome without him.

salut bart van de vel

brentendo

that is awful, such an amazing thing to do in his memory

tracerbullet
tracerbullet profile pic Alumni

that's so sad :(

RIP Bart

EricDiaz

whaaaaat? I had no idea :(

We were talking back and forth about a collab just a month ago :((

EricDiaz

*last month of last year

Does anyone know what happened?

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

OH MY GOD.

I didn't know he passed away.

I'm so sad right now.

He was such an amazing guy and collaborator.

Fuck.

I was wondering why he didn't return my email.

I'm......without words.

Johnny Baboon
Johnny Baboon profile pic Alumni

aww man, this sucks.

best wishes to his family.

bennyd302
bennyd302 profile pic Alumni

what a touching tribute. my thoughts go out to his friends and family.

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

I wish more people nowadays knew Bart, he was full of life, a non-stop amazing illustrator, quick with a joke and a way to make you smile online, through an email about the latest goofiness in his life, or the millions of sketches he seemed to make everyday, he was a non-stop artistic force.

So sad he didn't get to see himself being printed on Threadless, it was something he strived hard for until he kind of gave up so he wouldn't resent this place a little while back.

He loved his family so much and spent lots of time with them as well as being a good friend to those around him and even across the ocean in emails to me and others back and forth, so I hope Bart's family is staying strong and I am very very sorry for their loss.

He also had one hell of a rap flow.

mooseinmyshoe

Oh geeze...

I didn't really know him, but I knew of him as a really legit guy.

Good vibes out to the family and friends.

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

Oh man, this makes me so sad.

Bart was a fantastic guy and was always really supportive of my work, and I was always a big fan of his. I was wondering where he went when I saw this print come out.

This is really amazing of Threadless to do this. Best wishes to the family.

RIP Buddy

bcrider

ISABOA on Dec 21 '09 at 12:39pm
bart was the BEST - many of you may not know that he actually was a ninja. the best ninja - way back when I first started here I did a little contest on who was the best ninja and bart won it easily with his amazing ninja skills.
Bart was also a founding member of the monster mob -

today I toast to a ninja who left this earth too soon. A talented, humble awesome dude. There are not enough people like Bart and our world is a lot less awesome without him.

salut bart van de vel

;-;

So much sad. So much awesome in Threadless, though.

olie!
olie! profile pic Alumni

I didn't know Bart very well, but nonetheless, this is heartbreaking. I was thinking the other day about what would happen if a frequent blogger/designer or member of the community actually did pass away like this. I'm glad Threadless decided to print one of his designs, it was a very thoughtful thing to do. My thoughts and condolences go out to his family.

SteveOramA
SteveOramA profile pic Alumni

Shocking news!
I'm just reading everyone's responses on here and it's tough.
Very generous thing for Threadless to honor him the way he probably would have wanted.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?
Join Us