Close
One second...

Predestination

• by ReLem
  • posted Nov 22, 2009
  • 14 Comments

This is my first threadless design. I'm very new to everything, so please let me know if there's something I have to change to meet the guidelines! (I read everything, but you know...)

Based on the old phrase "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree".

I wanted this design to pose a question about how much of our destiny is decided for us and how much of it we make for ourselves. Are we the apples or the birds?

I think this would work best in thinner inks, on a comfier shirt. I've always been partial to a "vintage" feel.

Watch this
ReLem

This is my first threadless design. I'm very new to everything, so please let me know if there's something I have to change to meet the guidelines! (I read everything, but you know...)

I wanted this design to pose a question about how much of our destiny is decided for us and how much of it we make for ourselves. Are we the apples or the birds?

I think this would work best in thinner inks, on a comfier shirt. I've always been partial to a "vintage" feel.

JP_designer

What about trying to play with the leaves of the tree and the apples to make it look as though the apples are actually on the tree and not just placed behind it. so layer it and just make it have a bit more depth.

Could you check my design out please?

ReLem

oooh, that's a great suggestion, thanks!

MariaSurducan

The image is really poetic, but I'm not sure the message gets across. Try playing with the image as JP suggested, but also ask yourself - if you saw this image for the first time, would you get the whole predestination idea? Maybe it doesn't need a lot of work, just a bit to make it obvious.

ReLem

hmm, do you think the design still works even if the messages is more subtle? or does it need the message to stand up as a design?

Matt Stats

I love the image/idea... only suggestions would be to make the apples more "apple shaped" (I could not find a way of making that sound less picky!) and would love to see how it looks on a black background....

ReLem

MariaSurducan

Oho, a vintage feel to this would be great!
I'm still not sure the idea comes across... the best thing I can come with is putting a small flying bird someplace, to show that the apple falls and the bird flies... but then again, the composition is perfect as is, maybe you shouldn't add anything...

ellygeh
ellygeh profile pic Alumni

Wow! beautiful design and concept!! I really loved the whole philosophy behind it!! It's great!! I personally prefer the design on the guy's shirt, its placement(coming from left to right, or in his perspective, left to right) and color. I think that the only thing yu could try to improve is the shape of the apples. Maybe putting more imperfect curves to it sillouette would make it look more realistic, since everything else in the design looks a bit more detailed than the apple. Other than that the design is beautiful! I'd love to have a shirt with this design! Kudos !! Also, thank you so much for the detailed critique on my design, I really appreciate it!!

Smelynai

I think concept and design HERE are two different things. sorry. I would never relate this design to old phrase "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" if you wouldn't write it.
design like itself looks not bad. but apples are copypated? avoid it!

ReLem

they're not copypasted at all, each one was drawn individually. the reason they're so small is because apples that are still growing on the branch are much smaller and rounder, but I think perhaps i will change it so that the imagery is more recognizable.
thanks!

Joreds

very meaningful! congrats

Kennifan

I think the reason the idea doesn't come through for me is that I see a branch and a pretty birdy, so the first word that comes to mind is 'bird' and then I see the fruit and think 'bird food'. The design is cool but for the phrase you want to be perceived to come through you may need more of the tree.

No account?
Join Us