Close
One second...

Why promote?

So I've just had my entry for the Horror comp approved and I was trying to brainstorm ideas on how to promote it. But then I was wondering if it's really worth it. Not because I'm being cynical, purely because I'm curious.

The goal of any sub is to get a high enough score to get printed yes? If I promote the hell out of my sub and get say, 800 people to score it, does that give me a better chance of getting a higher score? Or do I stand a better/equal chance of getting a high score if only 600 people score my design? I'm sure someone can show me with maths what the odds are.

I guess my biggest question is, does Threadless take into consideration the number of people that scored your design/number of comments in deciding what to print? Because, for example, that seemed to vary in this week's shirts but they all got printed.

So, thoughts? What is your strategy? Does it work?

Watch this
8bitcat

Yeah mock_turtle I was thinking the exact same thing, which is what prompted this blog. I know people put a lot of effort into promoting their designs on Threadless, but it seems Threadless is more interested in you promoting on other sites to attract new customers.
I also wonder if promoting to the Threadless crowd could actually result in a lower score, because the community seems to be tougher judges. I don't mean that in a bad way, I just know I myself have become more conservative with my 5s as I see more and more shirts. Then again, if your shirt is really awesome and creative, I think the Threadless community really respects that and scores accordingly :)

I forgot about the "I'd wear it" box all the time, I really need to check that more often.

frauleinkatrina
frauleinkatrina profile pic Alumni

Yeah, I'm having the same issue with promotion. I know with slogans that a huge part of being picked is what the people who run threadless want, not necessarily how they voted. Given, the more attention the slogan or design has, and the more noise made about it on threadless, the more likely they would be to even look at it and consider printing. Also, it's hard to say that outsiders matter more, because you need to make an account to vote, so then you're not REALLY an outsider anymore. I think they promote the outside approach more because someone who likes it is willing to make that new account to give you a good vote, not so much to make it and give you a medium or bad vote. Just a thought.
On a sidenote, I gave you some credit on my newest submission. I'm letting you know here because you seemed pretty keen on it in critique, and I know I've accidentally missed designs I really loved in voting and then felt sad because no one warned me. Just a little heads up that I gave you some credit, and I would love it if you let me know when your designs get subbed, too!!
Just, you know, to make it easier if you want to check it out :)

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

im actually going to start pandering to the threadless crowd because i like the sense of community.
all my friends know i do threadless and most are just too lazy to vote and i don't want to bother them about it anymore. If my design is good its most likely going to get a decent score regardless but like i said, i like the community

frauleinkatrina

I think part of the problem I have is that there isn't really a community for designs here. I mean, yeah, the whole thing is about design, obviously, but there are a bunch of different clubs and blogs for slogans, why not one for design? It would be helpful even on the critique level, and it would at least help keep me better informed when someone I know and like is working on a critique or subbing something. Just a thought.

biotwist

im starting up a critique version of slogan shoguns

frauleinkatrina

I'm totally in, obviously. What kind of snappy name are you going to give it, and what are the rules going to be for getting in? Something about actually using the critique section (like, three reworked versions), asking politely to join, and having an avatar?

biotwist

an avatar is a must, I was thinking "critical corner", your three updates us a good idea also,
I also wanted to create something called "slogan's run" where instead of it being a club you can post any slogan you want as long as its a clickble HTML link, i know if vote on more slogans that way

frauleinkatrina

I think that the HTML link should be required on both blogs, because I agree, I am far more likely to look at something with a link. Also, maybe just "critique corner" because, I know that being critical isn't necessarily being negative, but I feel like the general public has a negative connotation of it.

biotwist

in fact i might make this

frauleinkatrina

Alright, I'm a pretty big fan of that.

No account?
Join Us