Close
One second...

It's Toile About You

• by EmmyCic
  • posted Sep 11, 2009
  • 197 Comments

Toile de Jouy, aka "toile" (Twahl), is a style of fabric consisting of fairly complex scenes drawn in black, red, or blue, usually on off-white backgrounds.

From a distance it looks like a cute vintage toile pattern.

But up close it is far more quaint than that!

To be belt printed a darkish blue on a cream shirt.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
isawa

wow, seems like you are really promoting this well. It appears like wallpaper, over 1,000 scores already too. Anyways, it looks pretty fun!

mangolicious

this is really great. I don't know if I'd wear it myself (kind of stopped wearing tshirts lately) but I'd love to see what it looks like on a real tee!
and as for the "fake comments": all of you saying such do not know how popular emmy and her brother neil are, and it's entirely possible for their fans to turn out in droves for things like this.

maija

It's really cool that Threadless fixed the presentation for you. It would look pretty as a print at a distance and be hilarious for someone examining it up close, like behind you on the bus or something.

designedbyAble

Great design sense of humor.

Nat Huck

I third the hoodie idea! I will buy this!

Katie Zee

I want thissssss!!!!!
Maybe you could do a red print one as well? I love the blue and would love to see how red would look :D

Rhella

My two loves just met, B1nd1 and Threadless- and I couldn't be happier! :'D
This shirt better get printed, because I'm buying it right away!

AllINeed

I am a real comment and I approve of this shirt.

anicasklus

i love this old illustration style!!
well done 5$!!

Onika

my favorite

igo2cairo
igo2cairo profile pic Alumni

Haha, wish I had half as many internet friends as you. Anyway, really funny idea and a charming style! :)

ryinghill

This is hilarious :)

MarcoBat16

This is good, but can you make one with robots and swords so manly men like myself can wear it?

Shih Tzu

It is fantastic! I hope to wear it!

Strubisatoaster

@MarcoBat16: That is SUCH a good idea. Emmy, are you reading all of these comments?

facetopalm

Toile featuring robots and swords? Sounds pretty attractive to me xD

mudbutt

Too busy if you ask me..... I know you didn't.

mudbutt

Too busy if you ask me..... I know you didn't.

hollyulah

I love Emmy. I have no money but I'd go in debt for you.

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

i thought it was pretty rad till i realized there are only 4 images tiled

arncyn

beautiful!

vociferocity

this is totally awesome!

Candimente

This tee is just so much fun to look at :)

Pocketowl

This is completely fantastic!

dorodoro

Cute.

emilymmkay

lots of non-avatars which is meh but.. this is still cute.

airencracken

I too support the idea of robot toile.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

Haha. Nice score!

artulo

Jinkies! 3.84! Nice score indeed.

airencracken

Decent score, though I think it deserves higher. Hope this gets made. I would very much like to sport one.

EmmyCic
EmmyCic profile pic Alumni

What a great score! Thank you so much for voting, everyone! :)

matuska

nice score Emmy! PRINT!

Mblane

so excited to own this!

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

shenanigans

maija

deviantART fans, actually.

Doctor Crow

When is this coming out, yo?

prettyodd

I hope hope hope it gets printed, Emmy!

ntopp

Good job, Emmy!

Maltzmania
Maltzmania profile pic Alumni

deviantart has a great mob

heidipetterson

Please do one with robots. Toile and robots, now that would be great, or maybe ninjas with swords beating up robots. So many funny toile possibilities. . .

jess4002
jess4002 profile pic Alumni

congrats! :D

B 7
B 7 profile pic Alumni

congrats!

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

silverqe on Sep 19 '09
Could there be any more fake comments on this thing?

sjem

I think you guys need to realise that Emmy here has probably introduced more people to threadless then any of us combined using legitimate techniques that threadless actually encourages.

So well done Emmy and congrats on the print.

FRICKINAWESOME
1 design submitted -

sjem on Dec 26 '09
I think you guys need to realise that Emmy here has probably introduced more people to threadless then any of us combined using legitimate techniques that threadless actually encourages.

And that matters to me from an artistic sense why? And I checked a random 5 or 6 of these people Emmy "introduced" to our wonderful threadless world, and very few had scored more than 2 or 3 submissions since this one and have not subbed any slogans or designs.

This could be a very cool print if it was put on the shirt in a more interesting way and not the same scene tiled over and over again, but please don't use that mode of thought to legitimize this piece.

And of course, congrats to anyone who gets a print on Threadless, it's a mighty accomplishment no matter what i think of the product!

sjem

Hey FnA - you're quite right, from an artistic sense it means nought. I think the score on this tee is greatly exaggerated too, I'm just making the point that Threadless has a vast amount of experience in deciding what does and does not print, and they have made the call on this one. I also reckon maybe 1 out every 50 people who Emmy has introduced end up participating further - but every bit helps.

Let me also add that I hold your input and experience on Threadless in the highest regard so it's great to chew the fat over this kinda thing with you.

FRICKINAWESOME
1 design submitted -

sjem, you're probably right about the 1 in 50 people even though like i said that doesn't factor into what prints or doesn't from an observer's view (or course I want Threadless to do well, but still), and as for holding my opinion in the highest regard, even i don't do such a thing! hehe. Yeah man, spirited debates are why i love this place.

HorsefaceDee
HorsefaceDee profile pic Alumni

I totally need a deviantart account

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us