Close
One second...

Weapon innovation

• by Noisy Cat
  • posted Sep 08, 2009
  • 28 Comments

This is a proposal for the Horror II competition.

A much more light hearted take on the horror genre, a bit of fun really. Anything with blades will do, right?

Watch this
Noisy Cat

A much more light hearted take on the horror genre, a bit of fun really. Anything with blades will do, right?

will loughlin

great idea nice funny approach. The only thing that i notice out of place is the black semi circular line next to the chainsaw character, maybe try without it? good design though

steph7

Any reason why there's no space between the words weapon and innovation? Also, I think Guidebook should be one word. Very picky, I know! I agree about the arc in front of the chainsaw man. If you have time, please comment on mine: http://threadless.com/critique/52337/musical_cats

Noisy Cat

Version 2 - Wording corrected and made bolder + Arrow added + black line change to white with black outline, trying to give a more "guide book/diagramatic" feel.

ddav00

this is really funny! what if we didn't have the first image (chainsaw, lightbulb, etc.) but only the 2nd? could be simpler and funnier?

but hey check mine out!

isawa

hmm, there is something about the semi-circle line. The arrow and the light bulb are two factors that suggest that the images are separate. I don't think you need three, with the third being that line.

I don't prefer the white background on the "masked killer" part. Filling in the blank spaces with yellow may also look better. Other than that, I agree with charity about the "distressed look", and additional ways to be innovative may be cool!

Noisy Cat

V3 - Have added a distressed look to the drawing design as well.

lizle

I agree with some of the earlier comments that this would be stronger with just the single image of the killer with the lawn mower; I'd lose the guy with the chainsaw and keep it simple.

I really like the style of the text but maybe it should be smaller or positioned in a different way so that the focus is on the image?

Thanks so much for your comments on my design! (http://www.threadless.com/critique/52263/Then_where_DO_they_come_from#v3)

Noisy Cat

V 4 - Have lost the chainsaw man and changed the writing.

aksel

Sweet I like the new distressed look. Hmm i think also the chainsaw dude is not necessary, I would make it smaller and placed in the middle of the chest and maybe add some bloodstains on the moler and the masked killer as if he just moled someone? :P keep at it

ozf5

Fun idea. I like the distressed look. How about just the one figure with the mower and the discarded chainsaw in the background?

Shok Xone Studios

Tone down the grunge on the text; it's making it hard to read.

As for the character, I'd have him looking over a selection of unusual weapons trying to decide which to use; the lawnmower, a plunger, a box of kittens...go nuts.

Or perhaps add an additional character so the masked killer is chasing someone with the mower; plus a trail of blood to demonstrate he's already used it! Mwuhahahahaha!

chub8y

maybe a nuematic drill would be funnier and explain the shaking more. but great idea

plonged

I really like the style of this, if i was to change anything i would maybe reduce the distressing on the text a little bit to make it easier to read. Great Design!

bengineer
bengineer profile pic Alumni

looks great! i would like to see it with the text under the killer though.
thx for your comment on mine ;)

check out mine, too

yummypanda

fun idea! I feel the same about the text - a bit hard to read right now. and I agree that some blood might be required... to complete the horror deed :D

Noisy Cat

V 5 - Ok, so I've tidied up the writing and repositioned in the hope it is clearer. And I've thrown in some blood!

8bitcat

Haha! That's the cutest serial killer I've ever seen. Looking at your past versions, I honestly think you're done. I do feel compelled to offer the obligatory "lose the text" comment though. Only because text typically doesn't fare well in voting and because this is a funny enough image on it's own, maybe even funnier without the text.

Your call though, this is the best text version yet. Love the distressing btw.

ozf5

Like the changes that you've made. I think that you have refined the design to the point where it would definitely be ready for submission. Theone thing that I think could really give it a further boost was mentioned by someone earlier--it would be pretty funny to have a guy running in terror from the mower wielding killer.

frauleinkatrina
frauleinkatrina profile pic Alumni

I feel obligated to second 8bitcat, it's true, text doesn't do well in voting, I can only think of one shirt that got by with it as a large element, and it was all completely hand drawn. However, if you're really going to keep it I would actually suggest making it a little smaller, the way you have it laid out on the shirt it would wrap too much around the sides during wear and become unreadable.

bengineer

glad you took my advice and moved the text to the bottom, looks much better. i agree with 8bitcat and fräuleinkatrina though: the design is absolutely self-explaining. i'd get rid of the text and sub it! looks awesome :)

bengineer

btw: i'd be in your debt for eternity if you could tell me how to create that great look (i don't know what to call it, i mean making elements kinda "merged" with the background color by "perforating" them with a million little holes, hope you get what i mean :P i'm german, that's why it's so hard for me to describe it :P ).

Crumbnumber1

separate MAY and BE. It looks like MAYBE

Noisy Cat

This was a proposal for the Horror II competition.

I submitted the previous version of this but was rejected due to an unspecified image error, frustrating!
Due to other work I've only just been able to come back to this, might as well try submitting it anyway!
Have simplified the text after what people were saying and simplified the colour palette.

No account?
Join Us