Close
One second...

Going Up

• by 8bitcat
  • posted Sep 02, 2009
  • 47 Comments

I'm really happy with this design, but I wanted to run it through here before I submit and hopefully work out a few minor details. So what I'm wondering is:

Anything look weird/not clear?

What do you think of the white balloon?

Should I show this as a front and back option?

And finally, what I need the most help with: a title! I need something more interesting, so if you have a great idea, please share! And if I use your suggestion, I'll draw you something special :) Thanks!

Watch this
8bitcat

I'm really happy with this design, but I wanted to run it through here before I submit and hopefully work out a few minor details. So what I'm wondering is:

Anything look weird/not clear?
What do you think of the white balloon?
Should I show this as a front and back option?

And finally, what I need the most help with: a title! I need something more interesting, so if you have a great idea, please share! And if I use your suggestion, I'll draw you something special :) Thanks!

8bitcat

Oh yeah, thought I'd mention that this is two colors, blue and white, on a red t-shirt.

lunestaaa

This.. is an awesome t-shirt. The colors were a good choice and so was the white balloon.

Frame

I'm in complete agreement with lunestaaa. The only thing that looks weird to me is the balloon strings ending abruptly. Maybe add suggestions of the bottoms of some of the balloons with a darker shade of the red? Also, the white balloon doesn't seem to have one of those signature "tie off" tails like the red balloons do.

Frame

after looking at the close up, I realized that the white balloon does have a tie, just smaller than the others. My mistake, sorry.

thirteendaisies

I really like this design. But what I'd like to see is some definition of some of the balloons in the bunch. Just a few thin white lines to define the basic outlines of the balloons. Especially when I look at the design on the t-shirt it's tending to look from a distance like blood dripping rather than balloons. Of course that would mean you would need to reverse it, make it red and white on a blue t-shirt. Oh, and I actually like your title. "Going up..." and by the way when are we coming back down?

extravisual

there was actually a real kid manage to fly with a relatively small balloon across his hometown for a good day long //// there are pictures of it/// wonderful story//

but I guess the cat would get quiet depressed about that..

loss of red balloons in figure for the sake of one white balloon does not matches with the facts of life.. Lose them slowly... and maybe give us some reference to estimate HOW high she is actually... w/o disturbing the minimalism.

Presstiger

Awesome! Especialy the space! Colors too. And idea.
If You have some time check my zebra.

Pattybeetle

I really like it, it's clean and styled, but the white balloon is unecessary. I'd buy it though. :)

My design:
Kangaroo Mobster

dryoats

nothing looks weird
I like the white balloon, but I think you could maybe show some detail of the ballons immediately near the white one, just some edges/shading

bengineer
bengineer profile pic Alumni

want to wear this, too ;)
and the white balloon makes it special and gives it some depth, pls keep it!

check out mine, too

ddav00

yeah i'd open it up a little. give us a couple more hints that she's holding onto balloons, yeknow? otherwise, awesome.

and hey, if you could check mine out and post some feedback, I'd really appreciate it!

Iellwen

I really like the effect, but if I were printing it, I'd have the blue sky be ink and the red balloons be t-shirt. It would be softer that way.

8bitcat

Thanks guys for all your suggestions! Any more for titles? Right now I'm liking insiddius's "Hold on tight, Kitty" and thinking of going with it.

I did some minor tweaks, but not anything that I thought merited a new version. Still exploring other suggestions though.

archimer

I kind of wish that I got to see the design on the T-shirt before seeing it on its own! I looked at the design slide, got an idea of what was going on, then saw the shirt.

Shirt makes total sense, but I don't know how spoiled my first impression was by seeing that design on its own! Augh! D:

The concept, nonetheless, is extremely clever! I really dig your fresh thinking! :D

ozf5

Really like you design and don't think anything needs to be changed, but what if you made the strings to the red ballons red and then made the kitten white? Then you've got the red girl/balloons rescuing the white kitten and going after the kittens single white balloon.
Please check out and comment on my design.

8bitcat

Thank-you all for your input, here's what I've changed:

The balloon strings are now shorter, and "under" the balloons to create more depth. I experimented with a darker red, and outlining/defining balloons, but in the end it seemed unnecessary. I really don't want to be that person that is bull-headed and won't accept critique, but I just really feel like I need to go with my instincts on this one.

Changed the cat to white. I was concerned with him not sticking out enough to begin with, so I think that solves that and is clearer. I also like the added narrative it gives that ozf5 mentioned.

White balloon's tie off is bigger/clearer.

Finally I made the blue a bit darker to make the cat stand out.

So what do you think?

Iellwen

I still think that it should be on a red shirt instead of a blue shirt because the design has more red than blue.

Leex

nice -

sub!

8bitcat

And yes, it is blue and white on a red shirt.

ozf5

Looking good, I would say it is ready to submit, although timpaint makes a good point about the strings, on the other hand as designer you have poetic license ...

Opomon

Submit!

8bitcat

Timpaint good call, that hadn't even crossed my mind. Thanks for pointing it out, I'll fix that.

frauleinkatrina
frauleinkatrina profile pic Alumni

99 katzeballon
Kitty Carry On
Declawed

But seriously, "Hold On Tight, Kitty" is adorable. This needs to be subbed very soon!

8bitcat

Last one I promise, this is what I'm subbing. Sorry to drag it out so long, just wanted to make it perfect :) If you seen any problems, please speak now.

And title will be "Hold on tight, Kitty" , thanks Insiddius and everyone else that gave me ideas.

Cloud 10

I think you should change the background color... Also for the bottom of the balloons they need some definition. Use a little white to show shape. This idea has a lot of potential.

Helloleong

Cool idea. But i think the balloon string are a little too much. Maybe you could add some shadow bellow the bunch of balloon too show there's many balloon.

If you have some time, check out mine too ocean. Thanks

dibe

Really nice. Submit this!

UBLDesigns

I like it, just maybe a little something within the red section, Maybe small text or something... But in general i really like it...

OrangeSensation1

Hey

This ia a really cool one! Loving the silhouettes and also the lone white balloon above the t-shirt!

My only suggestion I have for this one is that I do agree with Cloud 10 in the additional detail to the bottom of the balloons (although I think subbing as it is now is also ok). Maybe you could lower them so you see the shape of teh balloons a wee bit more? I think that this would be an easy way to show this.

Oh and many, many thanks once again for your sweet critique! Really enjoyed reading it!!!

Good luck with this one!! :-D

8bitcat

Thanks for your suggestions guys, but I've subbed it already. When I experimented with more definition/adding a darker red shade it actually had a flattening effect; everything tended to look like big shapes rather than a mass of individual balloons. I'm hoping that when it's larger everything should be clearer, I don't know.

You can score it here Thanks!

Ela_5

NICE!NICE!NICE!

No account?
Join Us