Close
One second...

Geeks WIP... suggestions??

Here's a wip of what I'm thinking for the Geeks comp. I'll probably have to lose the Star Wars Trilogy references & I'm gonna need to fill in a few blanks but you get the picture.

Any suggestions?

Watch this
olie!

looking great so far.

maybe add a computer?

sonmi

lol @ 80085

this is looking great so far

spacesick 2

sweet on Sep 02 '09 at 11:02pm
speedyjvw!

Bio-bot 9000

rad! the only things I don't get right away are the face on the jet tail, the severed hand, and the blue and white dots next to the microscope. is that supposed to be chemistry? Also, it looks like the race track is connected to the next frame, giving the impression of a white box with wires coming out (or a weird coffee mug). Maybe a solid blue line after "Finish" would help keep the panels distinct.

Also, i can't tell if it's supposed to tell a story or not. the first 3 rows seem pretty autonomous, but then it seems like the geek studies chemistry, gets rich, builds a (power?) company, gets his own private jet, and eventually leaves earth in a rocket ship.

Bio-bot 9000

and i think you should totally keep the death star.

SteveOramA
2 designs submitted - Score now!

yeah, add books (or a library card), a computer, and the word "girls" with a circle around it and a slash through it.

Mya Jamila

olie! on Sep 02 '09 at 11:03pm
looking great so far.

maybe add a computer?

Very true. Maybe a super old computer? Or a bank of them?

What about suspenders and bow ties?

Also, are you back in Vancouver yet? (Are you ever coming back?)

briancook
1 design submitted - Score now!

AWESOME! I'd change "pi" to the symbol though :) Also I don't think the SW references are an issue.

Bio-bot 9000

if there is somehwat of a narrative, I think I'd prefer just an assortment of geek imagery, rather than the story at the end.

Bio-bot 9000

what's the guy in the circles? Dr. Who?

hogboy

The severed hand is to represent The Empire Strikes Back (Lukes hand), The dude in the circles Return of the Jedi (The Emperor being thrown down the tunnel thingy).

Solid after Finish is a cool idea.

Initially it was just an assortment of geek imagery but truth be told the Threadless voters seem to always prefer a narrative. I'd already started this and I decided to adapt it to the comp... Maybe I'll lose it, I dunno.

againstbound

Change the 6 sided die to a less common one, 4, 8 or 10. But not 12, fucking useless 12.

againstbound

Ah yeah, the pi symbol rather than the spelled out pi would be better. Or maybe I (pi symbol) Pi.

againstbound

Also, first thin the colors make me think it's USA, not sure you're going for that.

againstbound

Fourth comment in a row!

sonmi

oh yeah i didn't get that those other two were part of the triology... for some reason i thought those three attack points on the death star symbolized it was the trilogy...

Bio-bot 9000

i think you should stick with the Death star. the other two aren't as intuitive. or maybe a different scene (2 figures fighting with light sabers?).

Also, i'm assuming that magicians cap and wand are a Harry Potter reference? It conjures up more of a Sorcerer's Apprentice reference to me.

ooh, ooh! how 'bout a couple chess pieces?

FRICKINAWESOME

Yeah, the star wars stuff needs to be a bit more aggressive in making sense or it just kind of seems like random filler. So much funny on this piece, really like it! My favorite is the last place nerd dot waaay behind everyone else in the race on the finish line.

Hector, i thought the inclusion of the six sided die was to show the "non-nerd" die compared to the ultra nerdy million sides one.

There's a ton more nerd-related things to adapt to this graphic style, keep at it ilike it a lot!

SteveOramA
2 designs submitted - Score now!

oh, and don't forget an inhaler!

bortwein

I think the geek jet is a bit of a stretch compared to the rest of the stuff, or maybe I just think the face on the wing is a bit much. Maybe it could be simpler somehow.

bortwein

also the stairs on the house look more like a bite has been taken out than stairs at a first glance.

FRICKINAWESOME

SteveOramA on Sep 03 '09 at 12:11am
oh, and don't forget an inhaler!

hahaham yes!

And the nerd face on the jet is making fun of Virgin airlines right? That's what i gathered.

FRICKINAWESOME

and maybe some lunch money that you have to give to a bully or a wicked pocket protector with all kinds of cool pens and gadgets in it?

valorandvellum

Hahaha! Nice. Maybe you could have a Revenge of the Nerds reference too... like a helper robot or a cream pie with a photo underneath :-P

thrillhouse27

i really enjoy this, i agree some images are a bit hard to recognize at first, but the composition is really great.

bortwein

Bio-bot 9000 on Sep 02 '09 at 11:11pm
Also, i can't tell if it's supposed to tell a story or not. the first 3 rows seem pretty autonomous, but then it seems like the geek studies chemistry, gets rich, builds a (power?) company, gets his own private jet, and eventually leaves earth in a rocket ship.

Ok I just caught on to this... definitely needs the flux capacitor

Aphte

This is definitely awesome !

agrimony

mmhmm nicely done. cant wait to see the final

Andreas Mohacsy

this is way to cool to be geeky, just like geeky stuff is...

PS: the use of colour is AMAZING, nice to see you subbing again Aaron

hogboy

Thanks dudes, such helpful stuff here. I think I will lose the ESB & RotJ cells. One Star Wars ref is probably enough.

An atomiser is gold, pure gold! As is a computer and/or some sort of flux capacitator.

The wand, hat & dice should probably be placed beside each other because really they were both meant to represent D&D, Fantasy role-playing schtuff.

I'll work on the steps & I sort of agree, the nerd-corp tail icon is still not really doing it for me. It feels too direct somehow, but I'm not sure how to tell that part of the 'story' or if I should even bother.

littlem

nerds have rolling backpacks

littlem

hello, hogboy :D

Mya Jamila

Hogboy totally ignored my comment. sad face

Oh well.

tesco

fleshlight?

davidfromdallas

this is so great. so glad you're subbing to this comp.

TheInfamousBaka

I love the basement reference, ahahaha.

jess4002

that is AWESOME!

mutsu
1 design submitted - Score now!

flux capacitator and no hover board?! man you've got to put that hover board in. also some kind of r2-d2 robot.
another thing is a magic the gathering game card. and that mom's mine thing is kinda lame.
another idea is: comic books or comic book superheroes.
Or you could come up with a twist since you have something close to a comic page layout make this really look like a comic page - just an idea not sure how that could actually work..

sonmi

ugh @ tesco's comment!

Ste7en

tesco on Sep 03 '09 at 4:08am
fleshlight?

hahahhahahahaha

Ste7en

hog, you probably have one of those for reference

hogboy

Sorry Mya.... I will definitely be adding a some computers & a robot maid & yes I am back in Vancouver for about a week in early October.... sniff I miss Vancouver.

Mya Jamila

:D
:C
Hopefully we'll have the nice weather we had last year.
It would suck if you came back to Vancouver only to be greeted by it's customary rain.

andyg

Throw some acne in there!

No account?