Close
One second...

Journey of the Herd (TL Loves Childhood)

• by Berbs42
  • posted Aug 13, 2009
  • 115 Comments

This could be just me, but I remember pretending my hand was a four legged dinosaur, anteater, lizard, hound-dog, or some other creature, running along the dining room table, walking on the car door looking out the window, poking at my crayons, and pencils on my desk at school, and just about anywhere else.

So this image evokes that childhood world of make-believe, and incorporates adult hands with those of children.

A whole herd of these creatures; comprised of friends and relatives or whatever you imagine them to be.

A family.

(Did this at work, so this is just a photo of the sketch, but I wanted to get some initial thoughts - Everyone has been so helpful with my other critique, and I'd really be grateful for some similar insights!!)

Thanks!!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
Berbs42

This could be just me, but I remember pretending my hand was a four legged dinosaur, anteater, lizard, hound-dog, or some other creature, running along the dining room table, walking on the car door looking out the window, poking at my crayons, and pencils on my desk at school, and just about anywhere else.

So this image evokes that childhood world of make-believe, and incorporates adult hands with those of children.

A whole herd of these creatures; comprised of friends and relatives or whatever you imagine them to be.

A family.

(Did this at work, so this is just a photo of the sketch, but I wanted to get some initial thoughts - Everyone has been so helpful with my other critique, and I'd really be grateful for some similar insights!!)

Thanks!!

Ars Fera

Lol, I totally remember that..
I think maybe adding some jungle scenery, just a tree line or something, to the background would be good. I'm not really sure I can comment on anything else until some color comes in!
And if you're not busy, some last comments on my critique would be much appreciated!
Also I'm thinking of changing the name for that design.. so if you have any ideas, feel free to say so!

kdidj

This has real potential. Great idea and good execution. Bring on the next stage!

a-monkey-in-a-box

haha this is so cool! Can't wait to see more of this one!

Sir.Maticus

If you do this right.... This will be my favorite by far already it has the best Childhood idea I've seen thus far. I want to say that the linework and detail for this is going to be extremely important butt we will have to see in V2

I'll be watching this one

azarello

sir.maticus has got a point with the lines, at present, this is great sketch. keep it coming in v2! ;)

Ivantobealone
Ivantobealone profile pic Alumni

So far so good!!! Keep it delicate !

8bitcat

I so used to do that. I love the idea because I think a lot of people can relate to it.

I'm concerned about the inevitable chopping of the arms on the left hand side. What you've done so far in the sketch looks great, just make sure that translates to the shirt. Some strategically placed foliage will probably do the trick. Looking forward to future versions!

Paul.Schmidt

I also like where this is going. The little one on the back of the big one MAY be awkward but maybe not.

Henni81

Great idea! Love it! Looking forward to the next v. Not sure about the little hand on top of the large hand tho, but that may be because to me it looks like dinosaurs.

building

Henni81

By the way, youre GREAT at drawing hands!

Berbs42

BIG QUESTIONS!!
Should it have Sketchy or Clean Lines?
Should it have Jungle Foliage (as a lot of you suggested), Grass, or a cityscape? (this would probably be somewhat determined by the perceived scale)
Should I add more hands? Or silhouettes of more hands?
Should it flesh toned? Or typical "imaginary creature" colored? Or like we imagine for dinosaurs?

I want a lot of input from the community on this one to really get it going in the right direction!!

Thanks for all the comments so far!!

Jebs
Jebs profile pic Alumni

eheh, hands are one of the most difficult stuff to draw, and your scene is pretty good, the concept itself is nice toon however, i agree with a lines and background, but that could come with your vectors and colors, so no rush :)

i look forward to see it will evolve, but that's an excellent start for sure ;)

anotherkitten

Really nice drawing. Looking forward to seeing colors.

isawa

this is going to be great! Do not make a cityscape. Make a jungle or something like that, even a plain would work well since these could be large dinosaurs walking across one. i like your hands too!

efe1347

This is fo sho awsome
i think that a mountain scene in the background would be really great
and i think you should go with the imaginary look rather than the flesh tone also i think maybe a few less hands

Berbs42

What about VALUE?
Should it be halftone for an 8-color screen? Should I do some cross-hatching? Or should I just go ahead and render the image on paper with some traditional pencil shading and then go for simulated process? (which, BTW, I'm still reading up on...)

The Color vote is pretty even. What about just leaving it in grayscale? Any votes for B&W? With or without shades of gray?

And it looks like we're leaning towards Jungle Foliage as a whole. If I do any setting, it'll probably be pretty subtle, to play up the whole imagination aspect. More ideas?

Do you agree with what everyone's suggesting? Disagree?

Please tell me!!

Berbs42

Also, for the linework, we've got:
SKETCHY=1 / CLEAN=3 / VECTOR=1

kc1365

I like the idea of the lines being sketchy, personally. I also like the idea of the imaginary creature colors with the jungle scene, but I don't think you need to use too much color. I think the amount of hands you have is good, no more or no less.

Check out mine if you have the chance!

JediMasterQuinn

winner.

can't wait for finished product.

8bitcat

Definitely clean line art and jungle foliage. I'd also say cross-hatching for the values, but I'd have to see. I'm not a big fan of half-tones, but when they're done right they can look good. I'm imagining this with muted "dinosaur" colors, but I think your t-shirt color will play a large role in determining those too. Get cracking so we can keep critiquing!

Admiral Pants

Hahaha, this is very well drawn and realistic. I don't know how it would look in flash, so maybe use a had drawn design instead. Altogether, great job. Thanks for critiquing mine.

walkerfx

Nice work. I did that when I was a kid too ;-) Look forward to seeing this one developed more. I agree with other comments about keeping the artwork sketchy.

embgraphics

Brilliant, I love it, can't wait to see the next stage!
Thanks for criting mine :]

Admiral Pants

I also notice that the largest hand on the left is more detailed. I very much like this style, and recommend you alter the other hands to resemble it.

mtcassette

Can't wait for V2

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni

im leaning towards clean/vector. light jungle foilage in the backdrop. not much preference on how u want to do the shading

Berbs42

Well, it seems we're in a dead heat between CLEAN & SKETCHY, and I got a vote for some CROSS-HATCH value.

Taking this into consideration:

SLIDE 1 is my redrawn image, nice and clean, ? would just need to figure out how to get into illustrator as vector paths, and ...

SLIDE 2 is the same CLEAN redrawn image but I've started adding value with Cross-Hatching, to hopefully give it a very SKETCHY feel.

What do you guys think?

Description:
"Apparently this isn't just me: I remember pretending my hand was a four legged dinosaur, anteater, lizard, hound-dog, or some other creature, running along the dining room table, walking on the car door looking out the window, poking at my crayons, and pencils on my desk at school, and just about anywhere else.

A family.
"

Thanks!!

Berbs42

Wow! That really quoted horribly!!

Also, I adjusted the line of the "child" arm trailing off on the back of the one older hand, does that seem less awkward?

I'll be messing with some foliage ideas soon and will likely layer them in with PS.

Thanks Again!!

le.oeuf

This is coming together so nicely. The cross hatching really adds a lot. the trailing wrists seem to work. You may need to mess with your shading when you get to them and have the shading trail off as well, but I guess that's another obstacle for another day :) The child's hand on the the dino's back seems a tinge distorted, but shading may change that.

Loving it so far.

Care to comment on mine?

jsnug22

I like the one with shades and values. I think it would be cool too to show some of them shaded but maybe not all of them, so it shows it as a work in progress or as if its your imagination kinda coming to life. I'd also like to see it on a shirt to be able to see the placement and everything. Great idea, and great work as well.

Berbs42

Well I think I'll shade all of these, but I might add some hands that are only done with linework or silhouette. I'll add to a shirt soon; still trying to determine the direction of the piece.

Are we liking where it's headed? New ideas?

a-monkey-in-a-box

Awesome. I agree, the cross hatching is the way to go, it looks a lot more interesting that way. As for new ideas, i think it could be cool some mountains on the background, some rocks and rubble in the ground and smoke/fog on the foreground (if they are running, i'm not sure).
Looking great! Looking forward to more of this!

BTW, if you have time, a comment and your score would be great:
http://www.threadless.com/submission/225180/Alebrije/showmore,designs
Thanks!

azarello

my view is, rough sketches r great but not on a tee for this one.

try going with neat lines...but use different line weights if u know wht i mean..otherwise, it looks too plain n boring. less is more ;) !

Dan_for_the_love

I like the idea of not all of the hands being sketched in. I don't think this needs to be vectored. There are ways to specify colors and such in illustrator later so long as the image is at least 300 dpi at actual size and different colors are on different layers. Im interested to see where this will look in the end

Berbs42

I;m not sure what to do here. I'm kinda doing two versions of this right now since some people want it clean, and vectory, and others want the sketchy feel (which I'm doing in PS And I can mess with the colors and such there and ought to be able to fit it on pretty much any color shirt.

It'd certainly be much easier to work on one version.

What to do?!?
ARGH!!

Admiral Pants

I like the sketchy one better, but I think it would be best to see how each looks in PS, and on a t shirt before you make the final desicion.

le.oeuf

SKETCHY! From one dino fan to another :)

What program did you use to make it where you can flip between the versions? flash? I definitely need to know how to do this, but I don't even know what it's called, so if you could lead me a bit I would be eternally grateful :)

biocraft

I agree I like the cross hatching! Thanks for your comment!

isawa

I'm preferring sketchy. I say you work out your design to what you imagined it to be, then post it here after a good deal of work. I mean, there are only so many days until the challenge is up, and I'd like to see this get in on time.

Berbs42

Just a quick update with progress. Still have the other hands to finish, and some subtle environmental aspects (foliage, ground, etc...) Still clueless on what colors to use. For both the hand creatures and the tee itself.

HELP!!!

And, as always, thanks for all the wonderful input!!!

Berbs42

(oh, and just to be clear, I'm not nearly done with that third hand on the right... just progress here)

rody-ink

i think the concept is great, i am really looking forward to a complete version, looking great =)

frauleinkatrina
frauleinkatrina profile pic Alumni

This is great! Shaded perfectly, just keep working on it!

8bitcat

Love the shading so far, I think it's perfect for this image. It also works really well against your stylized but crisp line art. The wrist on the smaller hand resting on top looks much better now, clearer.

I'm picturing neutral colors for this, because I think those will work best with the shading style and overall feel of this. Anything too bright would look garish. I also suggest you use a limited color palette. What you have right now actually looks very nice, it really lets that beautiful shading stand out. Great progress!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
No account?