Close
One second...

The famous kiss WIP - Hey, can you help me please?

Hey guys, I got nothing to do at work so I have this idea. It's the most famous kiss picture but I changed the sailor and the woman to this great characters :P

What do you think?

Is there any copyrigth issue?

I'm working on a palette, I think I wil try to do it using variations of the same color...

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

Parody will likely protect from copyright

rodrigobhz
rodrigobhz profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Possible placement

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

SuperRyan: Cool!

Talking To The Ground

I sure hope that there are no copy right issues cause this is awesome :D

Krimson
Krimson profile pic Alumni

I think this would be considered Satire, in which case you have changed the picture and characters more than enough to avoid copyright issues (Also, I believe that picture is now public domain?)

I say use the greyscale one, it will evoke the photograph more.

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

Thanks guys! This idea come from nowhere and I'm really in love with it :)

Should I try a full color version or just work with variations of the one single color?

SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

I like black and white

:^)

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

The photograph is from the 60's, I don't know if is now public domain. I'm worried about Popeye and Olive...

I say use the greyscale one, it will evoke the photograph more.

You got a point :)

brentendo

Talking To The Ground on May 25 '09 at 2:47pm
I sure hope that there are no copy right issues cause this is awesome :D

I agree! it's great!

mismonaut
mismonaut profile pic Alumni

You might want to move Popeye's arm a bit so we can recognise Olive more clearly.

TTUraider
TTUraider profile pic Alumni

love it! I really like the look of the grayscale version personally.

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

mismonaut: Is this really necessary? You haven't recognized? The skirt, shoes, the earring ... the thinness :P

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

BUMP!

MeiSomething

i agree with mismonaut:
"You might want to move Popeye's arm a bit so we can recognise Olive more clearly."

i know this can be a bit of a challenge in terms of foreshortening, but the bulkiness of the arm swallowed up Olive's head.

Maybe push Popeye's sailor hat back a bit more and arch Olive's right heel as per original. I can see the similarities with the original, but Im not sure I will recall it without having the original reference beside it.

What everyone said of the B/W

MeiSomething

but Im not sure I will recall it as *immediately

Santo76
Santo76 profile pic Alumni

hey... I like this idea a lot.
But it's really weird... and OF COURSE I'm not saying Flyingmouse is robbing you...
But today I've scored this:

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

hahaha, I know! We talk about it in this blog:

Do you get this?

and he's fine with it and I'm too. FM it's one of my favorite Tless artists and is a honor to think alike him :)

And I know that when I sub this lots of people will say that I'm robbing him :)

Thanks Santiago!

Santo76

I forgot to say why it was weird to me:
It is like a combination of both of your latests WIPs... hahah
He's one of my favorites too... I wish I could think like you two!

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff

I say still sub it, I like both versions :) hopefully the copyright thing doesnt kill it

Santo76

yep... maybe that's the only concern you should have in mind.
I'm a big fan of flyingmouse, but I have to say I like yours better... we all know the original picture is under daylight and we all know what happens to vampires and sun.

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

Yes, you're right about that Santiago, hahahaha... and FM commented on my "Bloody snacks WIP blog" saying "Oh noes! Vampires!" hahaha...

Thanks Alex! I tried to avoid the copyright thing hiding the Popeye face... but I still have a feeling that it's looking like a Popeye shirt :(

bygrinstow
bygrinstow profile pic Alumni

rodrigobhz on May 25 '09 at 2:54pm
The photograph is from the 60's, I don't know if is now public domain.

I believe the picture was taken on V-E day, which was the beginning of the end of WWII, so, um, mid-40s, but close enough....

As for Popeye, he first appeared in cartoons in the 1930s, so if the picture is clear of copyright, images of Popeye characters that resemble their earliest appearances, are possibly okay, too.

But I'm not a lawyer nor an expert. Just a guy who's checked into stuff like this for stuff of my own.

This is a great idea, btw.

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

I think FM clean lines sold that idea - even with the daylight issue. Looks awesome on a shirt, really awesome.

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

Wow, thanks for the information bygrinstow. I love Popeye and I've choosed this version of him because is the closest to the image of the sailor's in the picture. Let's hope that is okay to use it :P

Santo76

yes... of course, his lines are something out of this world!

Santo76

I think you should sub it as it is now. If there's a copyright issue Threadless will tell you and then you can figure out how to solve it, but I really like it now and you should give it a try.
I like the silver one better

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

Yeah, I need to finish it. But I got 2 designs that I like to finish first - 1 for the childhood competition and the Jonah and the whale :)

Also, when I look at this design I see a Popeye t-shirt and not a Threadless shirt and this bothers me a little :/

Flying Mouse 365
Flying Mouse 365 profile pic Alumni

I thought you subbed this already. Popeye + Time Square Kiss. It maybe another 3KCM wave. Submit it!

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

t maybe another 3KCM wave.

LOL.

Ok, I will work on this :)

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

YES! YES! Thanks ounom!

anwarrafiee
anwarrafiee profile pic Alumni

LOVE IT! SUB IT!(:

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

Damn it. I just started to look for Popeye's model sheets on google and found this:

I think this one is dead now :(

bygrinstow

oh man!

That one is crap -- yours is sooo much better!

bygrinstow

actually, copyright covers the execution of an idea, not the idea -- and yours is MILES ahead of that one!

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

Thanks dude! I don't know, I just want to avoid those "plagiarism" comments :P

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

I'd check with threadless before going full speed ahead. "The dark side of the garden" was parody and was printed and reprinted but they ran into © issues and took it down. I think parody/reinterpretation is an artist's right and is generally recognized as such (Lichtenstein's comics, Warhol's Elvis, etc). The problem (not sure) is that threadless is a commercial, for profit enterprise. So, I think you, as an artist could sell the art or prints of your work but not license them to threadless to sell.

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

I think you're right. And I have to say, looks like a Popeye t-shirt and I doubt Threadless will print this :(

Santo76

well... I think you don't miss anything subbing it anyway...
Even if it needs more work... it looks at least 90% done to me.

bygrinstow

Mad magazine was a commercial enterprise that was all about parody, using likenesses primarily to do same.

As I understand it, there is always some wiggle room, but in this case Hey! it's worth a shot, at least. I doubt whoever owns Popeye (Universal?) is as paranoid about it as Lucasfilm....

wotto
wotto profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

oh poop thats another great idea, shame about the copyright.

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

It's in the queue of the "forgotten designs." I promise finish it soon! :)

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

how about this other sailor?

Tikimasters
Tikimasters profile pic Alumni

How about girl on girl action?

kooky love
kooky love profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

cool...GREAT $5 when it's up!

E. Jones

Popeye recently went into the public domain, and the photo (taken during the celebrations that followed the end of WW2, by the way) is not an issue since you're only referring to it here. As for that other illustration- it's half assed, but the real point is that they can't claim anything but moral grounds for your design. Since we all know you did this before you saw the other one, I'd say go ahead and do it.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Go for it, Please!

rodrigobhz
1 design submitted -

Next in the queue! I promise! :)

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?