Close
One second...

Summer Sea

• by Yarzan
  • posted Apr 08, 2009
  • 18 Comments

This is my first submission to Threadless. Summer Sea is about an imaginary woman visiting the beach and swimming along a coral reef.

I do color separation for screen printing for a living but I'm tired of always working on someone else's art so here is my own. I draw everything myself and by "draw" I mean I push a pencil around on a piece of paper until it looks like a picture. Then I scan it, "ink" the outlines in Illustrator and then create a design by combining my drawings. The hardest part for me is choosing colors. If I had it my way, all my submissions would be in black and white. Now that I think of it, maybe they will be...

I hope you like my design. Thanks for voting!

Watch this
Yarzan

This is my first submission to Threadless. Summer Sea is about an imaginary woman visiting the beach and swimming along a coral reef.

I do color separation for screen printing for a living but I'm tired of always working on someone else's art so here is my own. I draw everything myself and by "draw" I mean I push a pencil around on a piece of paper until it looks like a picture. Then I scan it, "ink" the outlines in Illustrator and then create a design by combining my drawings. The hardest part for me is choosing colors. If I had it my way, all my submissions would be in black and white. Now that I think of it, maybe they will be...

I hope you like my design. Thanks for voting!

Oneirism

I don't like her face. That said, I love octopusses, and naked ladies. Peace.

Arrow08
Arrow08 profile pic Alumni

Great illo! and a nice start!!

Yarzan

Thank you for the comments!

pinkshoes629

The face reminds me of someone I know

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff

cool!

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

Nice combo of elements here, very summery yet mystery.

Yarzan

Thanks! Seeing some of the designs you folk have done makes your compliments mean a lot.

I'm glad you saw the mystery Frick. I guess I was going for a combination of hot and cold, sexy and dangerous, dark and sunny. A friend of mine says the design has a "James Bond" feel to it. As a matter of fact, I started this piece shortly after reading the comic strip adaptation of Octopussy so that was obviously a direct inspiration. That and the fact that I love to snorkel.

I'd be interested to know if anyone would like to see my next design with more rendering or airbrush/halftone effects? Or are you digging the solid color shapes?

olie!
olie! profile pic Alumni

very lovely illustration!

caddielook

what is it between girls and tentacles? :D

nice design!

Sparky the Wonderboy

Very polished looking with the solid colors. I agree with the James Bond aspects - it looked like a well done movie or book theme poster.
Frickin is always often right: the mystery. What is that cephalopod thinking? How about the brain coral? Are those ink spots on her hand?
And all in perfect summer vacation colors.

kennybanzai
kennybanzai profile pic Alumni

Summer time with the octopuses !

Griffiin_gore

I love the octopus but it feel like you got fed up when you got to the woman. She needs work to fit in with the octopus. The rest is great.

Yarzan

Thanks again for all the feedback. I'm amazed at how many people are voting. I've heard different thories I but I've always thought that when drawing women, the fewer lines the better. I actaully have a hard time getting women to look feminine so I find myself eliminating most of the lines I draw at first. It depends on the overall design, of course... trying to balance positive/negative space along with areas of detail and open "breathing" room.

emyo135

ocotpi sure are the in thing right now. Well illustration, I just probably wouldn't wear it (:

No account?
Join Us